Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Appraisals And Peer On Peer

Can anyone help with regards to peer on peer observation or annual staff appraisals. Do any of you carry out peer on peer observations and what do you think about them - how do you do them so that the staff don't get offended! I have avoided them for so long but with the new EYFS making staff appraisals a must I know I have to take the leap now - such a baby I know. Appreciate any help.

HI EJAB

OUR YEAR IS ENDED OFF WITH STAFF APPRASIALS! ITS NICE TO HAVE A LITTLE TIME TO SPEND WITH THE STAFF ONE ON ONE! THEY ARE SO VALUABLE TO OUR ORGANISATION! THROUGHOUT THE YEAR WITH ALSO DO ONE TO ONE SUPERVISIONS WHERE WE LOOK AT THINGS SUCH AS HOW THEY CAN DEVELOP THEIR STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES! HOW THE BUSINESS IS GROWING AND DEVELOPING! HOW THEY WOULD LIKE TO DEVELOP INDIVIDUALLY AND ANY CONCERNS THEY MAY HAVE AND ALSO TIMESCALES FOR TASKS AND PROGRESSION ARE DECIDED AND AGREED UPON AND DATES FOR THE NEXT ONE TO ONE ARE DECIDED! WHATEVER, IS SAID AT THE APPRASIAL HOWEVER, IS NO SUPRISE AS IT HAS ALREADY BEEN DISCUSSED THROUGHTOUT THE YEAR IN OUR ONE TO ONE MEETINGS!

We do staff supervision meetings and appraisals, i have tried doing peer on peer observations a few times now but i find that staff act differently if they know you are doing them or some staff don't like being told what they need to improve on while i have others who don't mind at all, i do find it depends on the person and how they react to this, mind you it also highlights good practice so you can praise them for what they are doing well.

My only bug bear with supervisions and appraisals are some staff don't tell you whats bothering them etc and come out and gossip about it to other staff which then causes an atmosphere, this is something i have been struggling with for years....!!!!!!!!!!!!! sometimes feel i need to be a fly on the wall !!! LOL

Thanks for your comments. I agree abt the peer on peer - I admit I am a little reluctant. What is the difference between staff appraisal and staff supervision and how many times a year do you carry out these supervision meetings - once a term? I also find it quite diffucult to encourage further training for some members of staff - they are very reluctant to go on their own but because we are small they have to. I usually end up going and trying to cascade the training down to them but this can be quite time consuming. :blink:

a very easy way to do peer on peer is with a two stars and a wish form.....(if you google it will come up) ...this is simply a form on which you write two things that the staff member is good at and one in which they might need improvement... We do these as a whole team and no one knows who has who (apart from me!) the feedback is given as possitve /negative/possitive otherwise the staff tend to focus on the negative! :rolleyes: ofsted loved itand it was mentioned in our report.

a very easy way to do peer on peer is with a two stars and a wish form.....(if you google it will come up) ...this is simply a form on which you write two things that the staff member is good at and one in which they might need improvement... We do these as a whole team and no one knows who has who (apart from me!) the feedback is given as possitve /negative/possitive otherwise the staff tend to focus on the negative! :rolleyes: ofsted loved itand it was mentioned in our report.

This is my first post, I think.

I've been looking at existing threads and getting most of my info from those. Please bear with me!

So this 2 stars and a wish thing is for student self appraisal of their work? Originally, I mean. So the suggestion is that peer obs are done with the star/wish/star method? Who observe deputy and leader? Do you observe each other in rotation so that you're not getting one persons opinion or is it the same person each time to get some level of consistency? Obviously everyone has to be honest or it doesn't work!

How often do you do appraisals? Would you consider doing them 3 monthly? Or just annually?

Many thanks.

it is a flexible system but we use it to do 'round robin' observations on our staff team (there are only 6 of us!) so i will write the team members name on the top and pass them around (like secret santa!) all the team are involved including myself and deputy. I feel it allows people to be honest without the fear of reprisals. I will read them out at the end and they will be discussed as a team (but this could be done individually if preferred) i then print them out and put them in their file so that they still dont know who wrote them!

• Like 1

Thanks Finleysmaid.....but surely you know who put what about who from writing styles, we are only a team of 6 too in some ways must be easier with a large staff cohort as not so personal.

thats why it is only me who reads them...but to be honest the staff normally guess from the comments anyway...i know mine always says try not to be late!!!!(timekeeping not my strong point! :oxD )

• Like 1

Must get used to using this forum properly - so bad at computers it's shameful - I typed a reply here and have now lost it so not sure whether this is going to be two replies or not!

Like the sound of the 2 stars and a wish but would need to be quite subtle about things as we are only a team of 4 so things could get tricky. We have thought about doing the peer on peer as a group so maybe we could adapt the 2 stars and a wish somehow, with the individual putting down their own 2 stars and a wish and then reviewing it. Perhaps the others could observe in the meantime and help. What do u think? Do you review your peer on peer reports?

Also do you think it is still worth doing the appraisals or do you feel the peer on peer covers things?

Sorry to leave this post and then not come back for a while - I really value your comments and have found this forum so helpful especially in boosting confidence. :D I get so distracted by home life as there is always some crisis with 3 teenagers and a husband and sometimes it takes me a long time to come back to the post. :blink:

We do 'peer Observations'. The person being observed asks someone else to observe them either doing a specific activity or at some point during the session. It only takes 5-10 minutes. The member of staff who writes the observation gives it to the one being observed and they then reflect on it together. The person who has been observed then keeps the observation, it is not shared with anyone else. I also do Annual Appraisals for all staff where targets are set. The Chairperson does my Appraisal and we are also going to start doing 1:1's every 3-6 months.