Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Development Matters Statements

Thank you to everyone for the downloads - you are all fantastic and it's just so good to know that there are others people out there - it stops me panicking and you all manage to answer the questions that I have - brilliant. Thank you.

I have one question about your booklets - do you just use them as a reference for you and your staff or do you show them to the parents as well. I currently include highlighted statements at the back of the learning journeys and reference them to the obs in the main part of the journeys. This works ok but in order to fit the statements on a reasonable amount of paper I have had to print them so they are tiny and looking at your booklet it seems so much clearer to look at for staff but quite a lot to include in the learning journeys.

Just wondering whether I may change my learning journeys to just include photos, work and obs and keep the developmental matters statements just for staff purposes with maybe a general summary for parents (like an extension of the 2 year old check but for each term). We have a record of development that we complete for the local authority which is passed to the schools - just wondering whether to replace this with the general summary as well. Would be grateful for any comments.

Talk about less paperwork!

EJAB

We keep the booklet separate but together if that makes sense the LJs and DMs work together and we share both with Parents. However while the LJs can go home the DMs stay at the setting. Our LJs aim to be interesting for children and parents. The children help stick in photos, we add speech bubbles to the pictures when a child talks about the photo. The LJS include work, observations written on stickers, photos etc. The DM booklet is filled in alongside the LJs to make it easier for staff. We use the DM books to write termly reports and set next steps for the children

HTH

Kirsty

Hi EJAB

The new EYFS was all about reducing paperwork and at the end of every (develop matters) page it says not to be used as a check list. I think that the booklet should be used as a reference/guide for staff to make best fit judgements (as it states on page 3) and record children's progess as Emerging, Expected, Exceeding against the age bands( see p11 2.7) and use a summary sheets similar to the examples on the 2 year old check to share with parents. Hopefully this method will give more time with the children.

Question - are you using the PRAMS or the NS Development Matters C/D Rom to track progress?

Helen

Hi EJAB

The new EYFS was all about reducing paperwork and at the end of every (develop matters) page it says not to be used as a check list. I think that the booklet should be used as a reference/guide for staff to make best fit judgements (as it states on page 3) and record children's progess as Emerging, Expected, Exceeding against the age bands( see p11 2.7) and use a summary sheets similar to the examples on the 2 year old check to share with parents. Hopefully this method will give more time with the children.

Question - are you using the PRAMS or the NS Development Matters C/D Rom to track progress?

Helen

Hi helen i might be wrong but are the emerging/ exceeding /expected 'labels' not just for the ELG's rather than for the DM's?...

Just to clarify we do not use this as a check list - we make best fit judgements and use it to help staff make assessments and next step judgements. We share all documents with parents if they want to see them we also give termly/half termly. We do not/will not be using the emerging, expected,exceeding labels. This is the method advocated by our county advisors and it works well for us.

Kx

Hi Helen & Kirsty

It was the statement abt DM being used just as a guide that made me think that our LJs shouldn't include them anymore for the parents so I will probably keep them separate like Kirsty suggests with the option for parents to look at them. We currently highlight the statements with a d for developing and an a for achieved. I don't use PRAMS yet - had difficulty downloading it but I use a very general form from the old progress matters cd - we are so small and there are only 2 of us actually compiling the LJs so I know where everyone is really so my TA thought just a general form would be ok.

Went to the new EYFS training the other day and they didn't really touch on the DMs much and how they should be used. it seems that most people are exchanging the old for the new and carrying on in much the same way without worrying too much about this statement of using them "just as a guide". Someone did mention that it was fine to say there is less paperwork but what about Mrs O when she visits and you need proof - this happened to me a couple of inspections ago when she wanted to see written evidence of the links between the obs and the ages and stages statements. The TAs said that as long as you can talk about the child's level of progress and way of learning that would be fine but I must say I don't feel comfortable with that although I would know as we are so small but as I say this happened to me before and Mrs O just wouldn't accept it. Can't win sometimes but seems like we need to cover all bases as usual. :blink: :1b

Finlaysmaid you are not wrong,

Helenl what you are quoting is referring to assessment at the end of the foundation stage and applies to ELG's not the DM's

I am about to do some training tomorrow for revised EYFS & progress check at 2. I really hope it is better than we had for the original EYFS.

I am about to do some training tomorrow for revised EYFS & progress check at 2. I really hope it is better than we had for the original EYFS.

:blink: That's why I haven't booked myself on to any briefing sessions! xD

I know that I should really but I'm fed up with losing hours of my life that I can never get back :ph34r: original briefings were a complete joke (just not a particularly funny joke :( :1b )

• Like 1

Finlaysmaid you are not wrong,

Helenl what you are quoting is referring to assessment at the end of the foundation stage and applies to ELG's not the DM's

For the DMs we use emerging, developing, secure??!?!

At the very least I hope after 'the training' we are, all singing from the same hymn sheet!? Or shall we continue making it up as we go along...ha ha

Someone out there knows exactly the right way..........

:blink: That's why I haven't booked myself on to any briefing sessions! xD

I know that I should really but I'm fed up with losing hours of my life that I can never get back :ph34r: original briefings were a complete joke (just not a particularly funny joke :( :1b )

I know exactly where your coming from.... :( :( :( And yesterday I was listening to (well I had to switch it off in the end!) R4 talking about how can we make childcare cheaper in the UK!!!! ................ I know - get them to do more stuff undpaid! :(

• Like 1

For the DMs we use emerging, developing, secure??!?!

At the very least I hope after 'the training' we are, all singing from the same hymn sheet!? �� Or shall we continue making it up as we go along...ha ha ��

Someone out there knows exactly the right way..........

But of course!!! Well perhaps I have read it wrong as well then and if I have I do apologise.

in the revised Statutory framework it says on Page 11 Under 'Assessment at the end of the EYFS Foundation Stage Profile (EYFSP) –2.7 " Each child’s level of development must be assessed against the early learning goals (see Section 1). Practitioners must indicate whether children are meeting expected levels of development, or if they are exceeding expected levels, or not yet reaching expected levels (‘emerging’). This is the EYFS Profile."

I cant find anything that says we should be doing this for the DM's? However as I have already said I could be wrong (frequently am) and also if that is the way you do it then that's ok. As you say, it would be good if we could find some sort of 'common ground' after all our training but .........................insert big sigh here I rather think I shall be thinking same as Sunnyday after tomorrows training and wish I hadn't wasted 3 hours of my life (again!!)

Loobylou- so you didn't find out the conclusion then? Hmm making childcare cheaper................ It never ceases to amaze me that folks will pay more for a dance/music class or maths tuition (for sats!!) then they do for childcare.

Hi Helen,

when I said we use eds for the DMs i meant as a 'going along assessment' in a preschool setting, not as a Profile assessment done at the end of the foundation stage.... for example: age band 30-50mths developing ! We dont have a Profile....or at least I dont think we do....do we? If we do i must have lost that piece of info along the way.....Eeeek! Seriously it is all getting abit messy isnt it. Thank God for Dame Tickell eh? Dont know what we would do if she had'nt sorted it all out for the better ?!?! Bless her. tee hee.

Hope you turn up some good sound advice tomorrow.....and then you can enlighten us all ! : ) have fun.....

Im not sure there are any definate answers Im afraid!! According to the training on the new EYFS weve had so far the new reformed EYFS relies much more heavily on the practitioners judgement, especially about paperwork. As long as you can justify what you do the way you do it and its in the best interest of the children- then thats ok.

However Im sure the LAs will adopt a best practice model and encourage us to follow I very much doubt it will be the same for us all. What suits one setting will not necessarily suit another.

Kx

• Like 1

Kirsty c thats what we do we also add into the LJ's well ebing and invovlment scores and next steps and plods but ultimately the LJ's belong to the children and they carry them round the setting pleased as punch with them :)

the dms we use as kirsty said for staff ref. also in those folders we plot data

what i need is something to collect all the data on- progress matters does not work on my lap top am looking at prams, i want something that is simple and not time consuming

Hi All

Has anyone read Helen Moylett and Nacy Steward (2012) book 'Understanding the revised EYFS. I haven't purchased it yet but heard from other that it has helpful tips. May be they will explain how to record progress.

Hi Helen. I have a copy of this book, although I haven't read it all yet. There is a section on assessment and a bit about the ides of using a 'best fit' approach rather than an 'check list' approach.

There is also more information about the characteristics of effective learning.

Hi All

Now, unless i'm missing something i read the ELG (and the steps of goals from birth leading up to the sumative goal) as under the heading of the principle 'Unique Child' instead of under 'Developmental Matters'. Our planning has always been laid out with the activity and one of the goals that we are aiming to achieve. Am i understanding it wrong?

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but shouldn't the areas of learning go under the learning and development theme rather than unique child? Certainly you can plan an activity with a potential learning intention taken from the dev matters statements (or ELG if you're in reception)

what i need is something to collect all the data on- progress matters does not work on my lap top am looking at prams, i want something that is simple and not time consuming

Hi Sue is this the sort of thing you are looking for? Key person plots in observations; photo, post it or long obs. Also usful if you keep them all together to see if any areas of learningare not being covered. We thought we were missing "numbers for calculating" on the current EYFS but it turns out we had to do a training session as staff were not recognising it when it happen - hence the gap.

Tell me to stop waffling if it is not what you are looking for!!

Great just got message to say "I'm not permitted to upload this kind of file" Its just an excel on I made up?!?!? Sorry

Edited by Pimms o'clock?

Wow Kirsty - just had a peek back at the first page of this thread........1205 downloads - you should have charged us all xD :lol: xD

This is why Im not rich lol xD like to share and cant bear the idea of people having to reinvent the wheel! As a teacher Ive done enough of that! Glad to help xx

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)