Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Playing for Year 1

Good point Dee -

Anyone who wants to admit to a location can do so very easily. Go to My Controls, then look down the left hand side menu. You will see My Profile Info (or something very similar). Inside there you can put your location into the relevant space. Then whenever you post, other people will see roughly where you come from. :D

Okay I added my location to my profile details - I think. Well I'm in West Yorkshire, that will save anyone the trouble of looking!

I would be delighted to hear of anybody who might want to get in touch and perhaps be brave enough to let me into their classroom so I can see the different set ups - Im hurridly trying to get new ideas on how to structure my Year 1 class in September. I am trying to run it as a reception class organisation wise and I am very willing to share ideas and so on. :)

I bought the featherstone book and have mapped all our objectives from QCA documents to relevent ELG and PoS. I am currently trying to think or classroom layouts and how many 'tables' I need and which 'areas' I need! I dont have enough space for both sand and water, for example and so I am having to make do with one or the other. For subjects like science and geography I am trying to set up a directed activity and a follow up independent activity for each QCA objective in the hope that I can allow the children 'play' and yet still be learning these things.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I really feel Im way out of my depth!

• 1 month later...

Tamara

This may be a little late now as September is fast approaching but I am a year R teacher and I went on a course with my collegue a year one teacher about the progression from Year r to 1. After dicsussing ideas from the course with our Key stage Co-ordinator we have decided to implement a more "foundation stage learning environment" for our children. The Year 1 teacher is going to have a writing area, role-play area, craft area, reading and listening corner and sand play. With these activities will be challenges for the children to complete, enabling them to have some time for independent learning. They will also have literacy and numeracy time set throughout the day but this will not be rigid (for example not the same time every day).

I hope this is some use, if you want to know anymore let me know.

Nikki

This post is from Hopeful; I think she wanted it placed here! Let me know if it's in the wrong forum and I'll move it :o

We are fortunate that the year one coordinator has also been a reception teacher in the not so distant past and so is aware of the active learning which takes place in the foundation stage. The transition period is vitally important and makes the difference between success and failure. Our children and parents from the reception classes visit their year one classroom and teacher fairly regularly during the last half term of the summer and have a good understanding of expectations for their ongoing education and learning programme. We do teacher and LSA swaps and generally make life as easy as possible for both the children and their families.

As a school we are really pleased to note that the new document 'Excellence and Enjoyment' focuses on all the aspects of life long learning that we promote and emphasizes the importance of Early years education.

Its a great document Hopeful

Hi Nikki, it's never too late to hear good ideas! Thanks for responding to my post! From your post it sounds like your train of thought is similar to mine - I've just spent a week arranging and rearranging my classroom to include several different areas for continuous provision - not an easy task when your room is resourced for whole class teaching!

I hope you don't mind me asking but have you any idea how your Y1 colleague is going to implement foundation subjects into her new organisation scheme? My main concern is that I am not going to fit everything in. Currently I'm trying to work on a system where I can use the different learning areas to teach foundation stage objectives, for instance, working with a group in the role play area (doctors surgery) to cover science objectives (QCA 'Ourselves'). Where in the UK are you based?

Helen/Hopeful - All your hard work easing the transition sounds great! Unfortunately I find it very hard to get my parents involved at all we often have to 'trick' them in coming to a bingo night then sly in some details of changes to curriculum etc. It's not ideal but - we manage! I'll defeinitely put some of your ideas to my team and see if we can find a way to include them in next year's Summer term.

The Education of Six Year Olds in England, Denmark and Finland, An international comparative study HMI 1660

This little booklet has just landed on my desk and makes for very interesting reading. It's an Ofsted document so with a bit of luck changes are on their way. All those in favour of continuing the profile through to Y2 and scrapping SAT's raise your hands!

Steve, sure why not. I think it would be interesting (and brave!) If anyone actually agrees with this style of testing in KS1. Anyway at the risk of changing the subject totallly I'll hush now :)

• 2 weeks later...

Look I'm not being lazy here. I did actually put a poll up regarding using the profile and scrapping SATs - but then I took it down again because I wasn't sure of the wording. If someone can come up with a fairly phrased question I'll set the poll again.

Steve (not so brave after all :o )

• 4 years later...
I am working with a school to plan a mixed age approach to the reception and Year 1 groups - about 90 children in all. We want to extend the FD stage approach into Year 1 as well as plan a gradual preparation towards Year 2 type activity. Does anyone know of good examples of schools doing such work?

Rowena

Try this one in Rochdale http://www.shawclough.rochdale.sch.uk/ xD

Edited to say: sorry - just realised how old this thread is! :o

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)