Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Style Inspections

MM! I think I 'get it' now :D but I not sure I like it :o

I read somewhere (maybe here) that the educational provision could be superb but the fridge is on the blink and so that = 'inadequate'

I have made my own table of how the standards fit the new outcomes (just copied from Ofsted really!) and I can see where the fridge scenario fits in and it's frightening xD

If I understand it all correctly the National Standards are now grouped under different outcomes. Previously any 'shortfall' in meeting any standard would have shown only in relation to that one standard.

Now for example, the new outcome 'Staying safe' includes Standards 4,5,6 and 13 and one 'blip' in any of these results in the dreaded 'inadequate'

Oh dear! off for a think! keep telling myself it's going to get better :D

Oh and here is my table!

OFSTED_INSPECTION_NEW_OUTCOMES.doc

Dont you think it's all a plan? The government want schools to provide childcare for all ages and for all hours (10 yr stategy plan) but schools have to be careful of treading on the toes of existing providers, so Ofsted come along with different inspections that will no doubt cause some settings to close merely because, as in Geraldines case, the fridge is on the blink. (forget the fact that the care is excellent) Or am I being too suspicious? :o

gosh...... was having a lovely happy half term in the brilliant sunshine till i read this lot...talk about depressing,surly the big 'O' wouldnt be that devious would they???? :o  xD  :(

32862[/snapback]

Hali - this has to be the best typo I've seen for ages - the Surly Ofsted!

Fabulous!

Maz

I hate to accuse Rea of being a cynic!! But I think we all must be if we think on the same lines. We have had problems in Stockport for many years with local government squeezing out pre-schools/playgroups and private day nurseries in whatever way they can. We have just found out that there are 12 proposed childrens centres here to add to the three we already have. Two will directly affect brand new neighborhood nurseries set up with tax payers money. There has been no consultation and as far as we know they are a done deal!!

I was at a conference a couple of weeks ago where Lesley Staggs, National Director Foundation Stage for the Primary National Strategy, said "Childrens centres are not about losing playgroups but developing them". I wish she would tell that to LEAs and OFSTED who seem to have their own agenda.

Linda

but I bet it is'nt Sue xD:(

Even the accreditation scheme we're doing seems designed to make us fail on several points. Not because we're rubbish, but because we cant offer outdoor play, cant do daily visits to shops, library etc,(too far for the children to walk in the time we have available, time which is also limited to the hours we have now, so we wont be able to offer 4 hours (10 yr plan again) and cant offer the children the opportunity to carry on with a piece of work due to lack of space to keep it. Doomed, doomed I tell you :o

I hope some people in high places have access and take the time to read all these so relevant comments on how we are all feeling. THREATENED :o

Geraldine thanks for the table, I was just thinking about doing something like that myself, maybe we should produce a " Guide to Inspection" book and publish it, make loads of money and retire :D ( unfortunately I don't have enough time, too busy reading the Ofsted site :( )

I recently did a SWAT analysis for my setting, my Strengths, weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats. The area that most concerned me was "Threats" these are external things that I have little or no control over but need to be aware of. My main threat, similar to Linda, is that not if, but when the local primary school follow government policy and start providing extended hours care my business, which I have only had for four years, will inevitably close. xD I have tried on more than one occasion to work with the head to set up my preschool in the school grounds, to no avail. It will happen and I doubt I will be invited to be involved. ( What also scares me is that he has no interest what so ever in the early years).

Being the promoter of all things positive I would like to say that I first felt the early years and especially the private and voluntary sector were under threat over 10 yrs ago. When the desirable learning outcomes were produced and inspection was 1st introduced. Some changes have been for the better, hopefully more funding will increase pay levels and professional status, and best of all it normally takes Government twice as long as planned to do anything it says it will and therefore I shall be retired before the local primary can take my business away :D:D

We are the champians of change, we've lived with it throughout our early years working lives and we can go on in the knowledge that we know what is best for the children and that is what we do.

Here endeth the Peggy Political Broadcast :D:(:D:D

Now back to my holiday, or should I do the PAYE first and pay all my staff, yes they deserve it. :(

Peggy

Can I be the first to join Peggy's Political Party? The slogan could be: "Positive Thinking: You Know It Makes Sense".

Just to be pedantic (being the current Olympic Gold Medal holder (breaking my own previous world record)), Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats make SWOT.

SWAT is what we'd all like to do to Ofsted..... Often, and hard.

Please don't take offence: just couldn't help myself!

Maz

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D Thanks for the laugh no offence taken. :o

Peggy

32946[/snapback]

Phew!

With regard to schools developing their extended services - I'm sure the DfES have stipulated that these cannot go ahead where the new provision may affect local settings adversely ie if they will have a significant drop in numbers, or close.

I'll do a bit more research and check my sources!

Maz

You are right Maz-local authorities have been told that they need to include existing provision and not cause a setting to close by opening another. And that is all well and good if they take any notice, and I am sure many local authorities do. But there are some who have their own agenda and carry on doing what they feel is best for the LEA settings.

As I said in my last post we have 2 children's centres in the pipeline which will directly affect 2 day nurseries which have only been open about a year. They were funded by government money but also have invested their own money and time and are now really worried that they are under threat of closure.

Peggy is right in that we have all felt threatened for a long time, in one way or another. I know that we have had times when I thought we would close-as when we changed to one intake into nursery and school, when our LEA decided to take children early into nursery because of low numbers. But we have survived, I think because of good management, great staff and an excellent reputation. I don't disagree with change, much of what has happened in the last ten years has been good and we, as a pre-school, have benefited from the positives that have taken place. I really believe it has improved our practice and the service we offer our children. But every time there is a change you have to wonder what is going to happen next and next and next! We don't seem to have had our feet on the ground for a long time because we have been running so fast to keep up. I am sure this is the case for schools too. We need a period of time where we can consolidate our ideas and practices, review them and then change them if we feel it is necessary.

Linda

I couldn't agree more, Linda: I wonder what a pre-school would do (or where would they go to complain) if their LEA took no notice of the DfES guidance and allowed a school to extend to include a pre-school which directly caused the existing pre-school to close?

Short of stamping our feet and shouting "that's not fair" very loudly, I don't see much redress in these circumstances. All we can do is continue to voice our opinion, and do some serious lobbying if local plans threaten our provision. I know that some of the Early Years Partnerships have changed the way parties are represented, but I think now would be a very good time to get more informed (if not more involved) in EYDCPs and how they operate.

I also agree that we need some time now to consolidate. However, with the emphasis on the 10 Year Strategy, I don't think we'll get chance to breathe before we're asked to take on board the next "big thing".

I get the feeling sometimes that all my effort is being spent in treading water and keeping my head above the waves to prevent drowning. I'd like to know where the time will be made available so I can improve my stroke - or at least take off my armbands!

How do I write all that down in my self-evaluation form?

Maz

Oh, Maz!!

That is so how I feel, right now!!!!! xD

And talking to the Director didn't really help, he's all "I wouldn't worry, Sue, once they see how well you and our team perform, there'll be no problem.............' Nice, that he's confident in us, but it makes it scarier for me !! :o

Sue :(

Oh, Maz!!

That is so how I feel, right now!!!!! xD

And talking to the Director didn't really help, he's all "I wouldn't worry, Sue, once they see how well you and our team perform, there'll be no problem.............'  Nice, that he's confident in us, but it makes it scarier for me !! :o

Sue  :(

32981[/snapback]

Well its good to know he has such faith in you and the team! Doesn't stop all the "what if they ask...?" questions that come to mind just as you're dropping off to sleep finally at two in the morning, does it?

Maz