Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Style Inspections

Hi,

I've heard that the nursery located around the corner from me has just had the "new style" inspection. ( They only opened recently).

I last had a joint inspection in Nov 2003 and a care standards inspection June 2004, so it looks like they might be with me soon :D I can't wait to have it done as I feel really confident about my preschool at the moment having done the self assessment with my staff.

Has anyone out there experienced the "new style" inspection and if so what was it like? How did it differ from the old style?

Peggy

Hi Peggy. We havent had one but from what I know the people having them first are the new settings and settings with a change of staff, so ours will no doubt be soon. If yours was so recent you may not be line for one unless one of the above criteria apply to you. Glad youre feeling confident though :D:D

I was feeling fairly relaxed about Ofsted's arrival because we had a combined inspection last year; I felt that we wouldn't be visited in the very near future. However, I went on a course last week about the new inspections, and our LEA advsior thought that Ofsted may well visit settings who have only recently had an inspection because they will want to check out the new process and see if the results are in line with previous, recent inspection judgements (bearing in mind the categories have changed) , ie to have a sort of moderation process of inspectors' judgements. Might be that we should expect one at any time :o

Hali from what I remember reading, the self assessment can be done while the inspector is there if you havent done it before hand. I dont think it's a problem, but I suppose you could do it anyway. Always be one step ahead of 'em :o

I think Rea's right; it's never too soon to start! We have just taken each of the five statements in the form, and discussed them at length in staff meetings. I've typed up everyone's ideas and input, and will be putting a copy into the nursery management file. Our LEA is running a follow-up course in June to look at the self-assessment process, so I'll pass on any information I get. :)

I've been looking at the self-evaluation form, and at Peggy's brilliant version of it. Is there any guidance available as to the sorts of questions we should be asking ourselves in order to reach a conclusion about how we would grade our provision?

I'm thinking about the Holiday scheme I'm involved with - we'll definitely be inspected this summer and I wonder how the Committee will be able to make decisions about how our childcare stands up to scrutiny.

Maz

In our area it has only been the newly opened settings that have been inspected under the new guidelines so far. We had a care inspection Jan 2004 but our last education inspection was in 2000, so i think we will be expecting them soon. I am just about to go on hols for 2 weeks so i think we can guarantee that will be when they arrive!! I phoned them to alert them i would be away but they said 'no matter, we will continue in your absence' :o

I was under the impression that the self evaluation should be done asap. You are told when O are coming a few days in advance. The last thing you want to be doing is filling it out the night before. Get going on it straight away is my advice.

Hali,

Are you going to "add" the self assessment task to your list or put it right at the top of your list of things to do.

As you've just had all your wonderful quality assurance successes it'll be a doddle. :D Just summerise how good you are.

You never know they may arrive tomorrow. ;):ph34r::):D :wacko: :ph34r:xD:(xD:(:o :unsure: :rolleyes: :(

Not sure how I feel about that so I've used all emoticons.

No I can't wait, I'd love to have mine before end of term.

Peggy

Peggy, you are right. We in pre-schools will not get any notice if we are not on a school site. Pre-schools on school sites will get short notice tho' - so much for an even playing field! Still, I suppose its a step closer.........

At meeting last week we were informed that inspections were ;

pre-schools and day nurseries get no notice,

schools 2-3 days,

childminders get contacted the end of the week before to check availabilty.. (they are out more)

we were prority to new settings first

then those with high staff turnover of over 50%, this to include commitee turnover so many pre-schools stand no chance (our turnover to include commitee is 60% each year!!! not staff who have all been with us for 3 years or more!!)

and those with complains made about them.

all inspections will then be 3 yearly for all unless you are classed as inadequate.

we were advised to do the self evaluation at the end of each 2 terms ie before christmas, before easter and before summer breaks. (we have 6 terms a year now not 3 with half terms!! wording exercise only as far as I can see dates are the same!!)

we were told to put ourselves forward,

if things do not go as usual or to plan tell them and explain why,

show them evidence before they ask about what you do and why.

Show confidence in your abilites, they are more interested in observing and talking to staff and children than an obsession in paperwork (believe that when it happens).

They should be in pre-schools 2 sessions rather than the 1 we had last time so if you really want to show them strengths or something they need to see you will know that they will be there the following day so adjust you planning to incorporate it!

The belief is also that as you will have had 2 standards inspections they should all be in place and correct, so there should be no failings in this area.(Check all policies are up to date and in place and everyone knows them)

as an additional comment we were also told that we should add a sticker the poster we were told to display by O about complaints, reminding parents to follow our complaints procedure and asking them to speak to the pre-school first. Our local EYDept have made comments to them about the wording on the poster and how it does not follow complaints procedures laid out by most settings!

I am only relaying the message we had last week, interesting to see if we all got the same one :o

Inge

We have got meetings planned here in Stockport to explain the new system but the first one isn't until 14th June and they take place until the end of July. I just hope that nobody gets their inspection before their meeting! :o

Linda

Inge,

Thank you, your note taking is really useful. As for the O poster, I highlighted the sentence "What do we do well" ( or something like that), laminated it and put on display within the setting on one of the area divider boards. ( The size of the poster is too big to use up precious notice board space). I shall add a label re: Own complaints procedure. :D

Linda,

We've also got training but mine isn't until 21st June. I seem to be out of preschool more than in it with all the EYDCP training workshops, my QA training and home visits. We also go out for a walk each day at 9:30a, with the children so O better arrive on opening time xD

I would be interested to hear anyones experiences of the "educational" side of inspection. Is it seen as seperate to care standards or are they now seeing that Education and Care shouldn't be seperated? :o

Peggy

Gosh! Sorry I was unaware that pre schools didn't get any notice (always been in a school) Poor you. At school we do get a few days notice. Enough to get everyone in a state of panic anyway.

Actually nicnic the no notice inspections have only just come into play since April. And many feel they are a reaction to the BBC program last year about nurseries. Before this we were told that we could expect the inspector the next month and we had to notify them of any days that weren't suitable. Then it was a case of waiting for them to arrive-and quite often they didn't!!! Quite nerve-racking! At least this way they turn up when they turn up and we are not all sitting around in anticipation!

Linda

Hi, Peggy,

As far as I understand it ( :o ) although they are no longer 'really separate', they will still be looking at education specifically where there are funded children - government money?.....

Correct me if I'm wrong

Sue

Sue R,

I THINK I read or heard from somewhere ( you see I don't even know what I have read or heard :oxD ) that the "new" Inspection report will be Education and care together and not as seperate reports.

This is why I am curious. No dought I shall find out when someone here has their "new" inspection and tells us all about it. :D

Peggy

Sorry Peggy, misunderstood your post!

Again, as I understand it, the two will be presented together in one report as now, but the care will follow the new headings from the 'Every child matters' format (except the last one about 'economic well being', which won't apply to children as young as ours - phew :o ). I assume that means the education will follow the areas of learning as now, but it sounds as though it will be a fair bit tougher - we've been told that although we got 'very good' last time, we would probably get a 'Satisfactory' under the new regime, although the development worker thinks we have the potential for 'Outstanding'. Hmmm. :( Think she's trying to scare us??

Sue xD

So, let me see, if you have the same Inspector as last time and nothing has changed and she judges you all to the same ability and service you will be demoted to "Satisfactory". If however you work a bit harder than "very good" you will achieve an "Outstanding" :oxD:(

Wow, is that motivational or not???? :(:( :wacko:

I will most probably get none of these, just a short note saying "Well she's tried for 20 yrs, 4,000 children later and she still can't get it right, only one person changing nappies!!!!" (poo post).

Action Plan: Adhere to all urban myths, try harder and get a degree. xD

Peggy

Hi all

Following this thread with great interest but help! I am getting an addled brain.

I have got my head around what I have nicknamed 'BEMS'! Being healthy, Enjoying and achieving, Making a contribution and Staying safe. I have found out that economic well being is not relevant for pre-schools.

I was wandering around the Ofsted site and came across something that looked interesting so pressed print! Not sure quite how I came across it but it is called 'Local Authority Briefing Sessions' - March 2005 - Speaking notes for presentation, INspection, what has changed?'

It is literally information in note form under headings of ' Slide 1' etc so I presume they are the accompanying notes for people presenting courses about the changes.

It is from here I clarified about economic well being and I quote:

'Will not report specifically on the outcome economic well being - difficult to assess specifically and in any case, child care is likely to help parents to go out to work and thus improve the economic well being for that child.'

I had thought that the education side would be assessed under the 6 areas of learning as before and that these new outcomes related to the care side of things. BUT and this is what has caused my confusion - the 'notes' also say:

Where a setting offers funded nursery education, will also report on the six areas of learning under the 'Enjoying and achieving' outcome???

There are also a few examples of how judgements are made and here is one!

An inspector finds a fence panel with significant damage in the outdoor area-

This potentially means that the provider is not meeting Standard 6: Safety, If Ofsted found the outdoor area was not secure then the inspector would pursue with the provider how they had assessed the potential risks to children and what action had already been taken or was planned.

If the provider had a reasonable explanation, eg the fence was damaged in the gales last week, they had contacted a local builder who is mending the fence tomorrow, the children are not allowed in the outdoor area at present but are taken for walks to the local park, then inspector is likely to judge the provider meets the outcome on keeping children safe,

However, if the provider is uncertain about when the damage occurred or it had happened some time ago; had not put in place arrangements for repair or to safequard children using the outdoor area then the inspector is likely to find that standard 6 is not met and would judge the provider as inadequate and give the provider notice of action to improve.

With regard to the 'Outstanding' the notes say:

Ofsted does not pre-determine quotas- it does not expect many providers to achieve a judgement of Outstanding. By the very use of the word outstanding we are talking about a minority of settings, those at the very top end of the current 'good' grade for care and 'very good' for nursery education so to get a grade of outstanding Ofsted say that these are:

EXCEPTIONAL settings which are way above the norm, They are HIGHLY EFFECTIVE at making sure that outcomes for children are EXCELLENT. The CHILDCARE PRACTICE is EXEMPLARY. If nursery education is provided, it is of such a HIGH QUALITY that 3 and 4 yr olds are making VERY RAPID PROGRESS towards the early learning goals. Overall, the practice is WORTH DISSEMINATING beyond the setting- phew! Oh and the words in capitals are in very heavy bold print on the notes!

Sorry to prattle on think this may be a bit long - ooops!

You prattle as much as you like Geraldine, your input has been very useful. :D

I would like any comments though on Leadership & management because this was an action point from my last inspection. :o

I have done my own action plan and made improvements in setting up monitoring systems etc but I am curious as to what Ofsted will expect to see within this area of my service.

Geraldine, I shall have another scout around the Ofsted site as you have shown it is worth it. :D

Peggy

Dear All.

Well from what I am reading I must get on the case pdq but have been really bogged down - slightly worrying to note that if you have had a recent inspection they may come in again very soon. No wonder they can afford to spend 69m on early years!! Have just increased my numbers so I feel I may well be on the hit list. So having spent a tortuous (spelling!!) gruelling two weeks trying to get some assignments up on reflection on practice (last one went last night/ this morning at 3.00) thought I could perhaps spend a week relaxing, taking time out - but experience should have told me that working within educare means never being able to do that - I now feel under pressure to look at this and start the wheel moving just in case I get that visit.

On the plus side though it is half term, it is my birthday today and I can't wait to spend some quality time cruising the Ofsted site learning yet more so that I can put to good use all those wretched theories I have learnt during those long sleepless nights when I sat by the computer trying to make sense of it all!!!!! I just knew Ofsted would come to help by offering me something tangible to put all my theory into practice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Besides who wants time off - no not us in educare - we need to give 100% for 100% of the time - sod everything else - afterall just look at the rewards for all these endeavours!!!

Whatsmore it is now raining, I am another year older and I think I am depressed by the thought of always being one step behind where I should be.

Nikki

Everyone's notes have been really useful thank you perhaps I will be able to share mine when I get around to really looking at it. Now off to look at Peggy's great excel sheets she produced with a view to making a start on something. Peggy you ought to pilot a copyright on them.

:o Hi everyone,

I am getting really worried.

The Nursery I am in opened its doors last September, I came into the Nursery in January to 'help' run it, as it was going to close due to lack of interest from the current staff, who wouldn't do any paper work and only a small number of children attending.

I have had lots of staff changes, struggling with the paper work, as I am the only one who will do it, and at times think what have I got myself into and am I doing this right!.

I went into this post blinded, not realising just how much paper work is involved, thinking it would be nice to give something back to the village and local area, I was a bored housewife - cleaning, going to the gym 3 times a week and really just suiting myself until I had to pick up my children from school. Now I work all day and sometimes at weekends just trying to keep upto date with the paper work and displays.

Although the parents think the Nursery is great and I have full capacity each day which I do know is a great achievement, I do know that 'Ofsted' should be visiting me soon. I have never run a nursery before only worked along side a supervisor, or never been at a setting when an ofsted inspection has been carried out.

I have been reading all your comments, and will try to find the self assessment form to fill in. I do know that the children all love the Nursery and the current staff, I have nothing to hide from 'ofsted' and will be honest.

The new members of staff at committed like myself, and we all attend different courses to help with the running of the Nursery. The new staff are all starting NVQ level 2 or 3 come September.

If you know of a web page or anywhere I could purchase, paper work for Topics covering Medium and Short term planning this would greatly cut my paper work down.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Geraldine,

That's exactly the drift we've been getting here! It really is depressing to thinkthat the slightest hiccup can wreck everything!

Talk about setting us up for a fall!

Sue

Couldn't agree more Sue ! and I feel it almost seems as though anything we have achieved in the last inspection counts for nothing :(

and there's me having followed our only Ofsted criticism to the letter, changed all the aprons that tied round the neck for ones that have velcro xD In case you are wondered that was to 'enhance our provision of promoting children's independance'

I have heard somewhere (goodness knows where! :( ) that the two 'hot issues' are 'water available at all times for the children' and 'uncollected children policy'

With regard to the water, we do have it available all the time (in the tap! :o We do not have a 'fountain' or one of the water machines. All the children know they can have a drink at any time and if they are thirsty they ask - simple really! I think that is far better for them than having jugs of water sitting around the setting, especially in the Summer Term when we may get some sun! :D

Do you all have the electric water machines that provide iced or room temperature water!! I have got one at home and they are great but not got one at work!