Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Review Recommendations

Steve

The EYFS review recommendations are published today (30th March). This topic starter is to provide appropriate links and references and for any discussions you'd like to have about the report.

Edit: when this topic was first posted the report itself was not available. Please read the first posts below with that in mind! :o

The Early Years Foundations for Life Health and Learning (pdf)

The EYFS Review - Report on the Evidence

Here are links to some media sources that were available before the report appeared:

BBC (suggests that 'benchmarks' will be scaled back)

Telegraph (suggests that private schools will be allowed to discard the EYFS)

UKPA

She didn't say much that was not in the news links above. She recommends that the sixty-nine learning goals should be reduced to 17, that these should concentrate on things that parents can understand, and that enable the transition to KS1 to be much simpler (which seems to indicate that the main focus has been on the EYFS profile and FS2).

She says that generally the EYFS has been very successful but needs to be simplified. There will be a 'listen again' version online when the programme is finished which I'll link to.

Does anyone know where the full report will be published? Have tried D of E. Found a letter saying copies will be in House of Commons libraies today, but that's not of much use to me!

Have LA discussion on this tomorrow and would like to have read the full review before then. Will the forum provide a link for us? Hope so!!

Guest LornaW

Read the links thanks Steve initial worry is the link to be with KS1 I do hope this is not about getting them ready for school. Like eyfs1966 want to read the whole review before making my mind up! Such a shame the press cannot get away from 'nappy curriculum'!!!!

Lorna

Thank you very much - I have printed all 108 pages - just no good at reading from a screen :(:o Will read later - should keep me out of mischief for quite a while! xD

Crikey! Have just read Steve's post - does that mean there's more to print - arrghhhhhhhh

Edited by sunnyday

Having had a quick skim through it, it appears that common sense is the order of the day... fantastic!! Less paperwork and more time with the children - what a very sensible lady Clare Tickell is!!!! I've spent the morning with an Ofsted inspector and her views were very similar.... more doing and less writing about it :) my kind of inspector!!

So, I've finally been inspected under EYFS on the very day they announce the changes :o and I maintained my "outstanding" xD

Plenty of time to get to grips with the revisions,, over the next 3 years before my next one!!

Nona

Having had a quick skim through it, it appears that common sense is the order of the day... fantastic!! Less paperwork and more time with the children - what a very sensible lady Clare Tickell is!!!! I've spent the morning with an Ofsted inspector and her views were very similar.... more doing and less writing about it :) my kind of inspector!!

So, I've finally been inspected under EYFS on the very day they announce the changes :o and I maintained my "outstanding" :(

Plenty of time to get to grips with the revisions,, over the next 3 years before my next one!!

Nona

Hey Nona - fancy 'slipping' this wonderful news in here xD Very pleased for you, many, many congrats. x

well quite a read, but still feel i need more detail, especially on the tie in of the written early years assessment between 24 and 36 months and how this ties in to the health review. however, will read again tonight and see if I have missed some detail here.

Many thanks Steve and JacquieL for all information and links. I hadn't even realised the report was due today! Congratulations nona! What a significant day to receive and maintain an outstanding. luluj

Have read this during the pm in the office. It's a pragmatic approach and retains the EYFS ethos and principles and I think sets a few common misunderstandings straight into the bargain.

Not too worried about the KS1 stuff as she roots this in the NC review and expresses hope that the Govt. will build up not down! (My words)

She points out that there may be no one in LAs to disseminate this to settings etc so it will have to be very clear!!

All in all positive but we have to remember it's just recommendations until the Govt. agree with them!

Cx

PS is 74 users reading a topic a record????

Edited by catma

Congratulations nona

after a quick look this part caught my eye how do you have free flo to outside and in if you have only one adult? how do you deal with toilet issues with only one adult? what evidence does she need ???? I'm lucky and do have a full time TA but i feel that we should have 3 in a class of 30

The question of the number of staff who should be with children in early years settings

was also raised a number of times, particularly in the context of reception classes. Many

people think that there should be more than one person to 30 children in reception

classes. However, I do not think that there is clear evidence about this, and so I am

recommending that government investigate this further as a matter of priority.

congratulations Nona - fab recognition of your work

-today we heard that our Ofsted which was imminent, has been deferred til summer 2012!

Thank you for all these wonderful links Steve and Jacquie, I love the forum.

What is the next step in terms of accepting and implementing recommendations I wonder?

I can''t get either of them to open, and I do have adobe acrobat installed. My saved pdfs are opening but I can't get these to open, even when I go to the Department of Education website. :o

:o Haven't had chance to read the report yet but as a reception class teacher I am slightly worried about the transition between Year R and KS1. I already work with a Year R practitoner who thinks it is good practice to make children write keywords in a morning as soon as they arrive at school xD . It is called 'Welcome Time!!!' Not much of a welcome at 4 and 5 made to write keywords every day. Hence I don't as I know that research shows that children forced to start learning as soon as they step foot in the door, raises their cortisol levels and causes stress, thus depleting brain cells!! (sorry I have to get that off my chest) Of course the teacher in that class knows best as they are only in their second year of teaching and have no early years experience!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)