Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Starters Of Foundation Degrees?

I am now coming up to week 3 and apart from my suprise at the amount of homework I have been given already it's going ok, I am abit frustrated I am still waiting for my GLF to come through but some people on the course didn't get any so guess i am lucky.

Just wondered how you were all getting on and where you were all studying? (im at bucks btw)

Hello

I am at Warwick.

Just had my induction. For the next 10 weeks I have to go 2 nights a week. Monday/Tuesday 2 different modules. We are doing "Supporting Children's Learning in the Foundation Stage" (IE10C) and also "Essential Study and ICT Skills (IE1B4)

AM :o

Sorry it's me again!!!!

Do all students completing the Foundation Degree's in Early Years at a University have the same modules to complete, the same as students doing an OU degree? And are they in the same order, if you do?

My first year is

Essential Study and ICT skills

Supporting Children's Learning in the Foundation Stage

How children Learn and Develop

Stories and Story Telling

Guest colechin

Just wanted to wish you all well.

I will be starting my degree in November at Pengreen Corby. I will be doing 3 blocks of one week over the next academic year.

I have just started my degree in Worthing. Having not studied since the 90's when I completed my NVQ 3 I I am worried about the content of my work. I have just completed my second week and I am really enjoying it but do not as yet feel I am progressing with my assignments.Good luck to any one who is also starting their degree

currycraver

I have just completed my third week on the Foundation Degree at (Chichester). As you say, I am also really enjoying it but have ended up with 'piles' of notes and not sure how to start my first piece of work. I did my level 3 in 2000.

The study skills book I have gives lots of info but when it comes down to it, it's a matter of working out what are the important bits to include. I really want to start making a draft so I'm not sitting at the lap top during the whole of the half term worrying.

Annemarie 2205

It seems that each college/uni cover different topics as our first year covers:

Professional Practice

The Developing Child

Safeguarding Children

Promoting inclusive practice

Play and creativity in the curriculum

ICT in the early years

Supporting the healthy child

If we take a deep breath and don't panic, i'm sure we will get through it! :o

dottyp

Hi,

Hope everyone is doing ok. I have attended two lectures, so far-based in a collage.

We have been given one assignment so far, along with homework. We have to complete a professional development plan and a piece on listening to children. It's certainly scary, after several years of not studying!!!!

Good luck everyone.

this year i am doing

the reflective practitioner

observing and assesing children

child development birth to 5 years

the early years foundation stage framework

the early years literacy and numeracy

growth and development of the enquiring child

Hi,

Hope everyone is doing ok. I have attended two lectures, so far-based in a collage.

We have been given one assignment so far, along with homework. We have to complete a professional development plan and a piece on listening to children. It's certainly scary, after several years of not studying!!!!

Good luck everyone.

Hello and welcome to FSF Elm,

I am glad you have settled into studying again and are finding the course ok.

Have you had any guidance on your Professional Development Plan? ours is being called a RPD Record of Professional Development but we have not guidance as to what should be in it apart from you can put a few copies of your certificates in!

We have had our 1st assignment also not due in until Jan 2011.

I am enjoying it to!! Can't stop thinking/worrying about my first assignemnt which the first attempt is due in 3 weeks - the principles of academic study - they are attempting to make us write propa!!

After that we have 'work based learning' (?), Assessing young children's needs and then finish off with How young children learn

I have met some lovely people although some have not secured funding so cannot continue. Thankfully I have the first half of GLF which I have been able to pay for my three years fees upfront, the way things are going I can't see there being GLF next year and I don't want to even think about todays announcement about tuition fees!!

Hi everyone

I have just arrived home from uni today and suppose to be doing some work, but instead I am on here!!

It is my first year too and really excited about it.

The first two units are:

Perspectives of Early Years

Managing Individual and Group Activities

In the next couple of weeks we will need to hand in our Benchmark Statements, which I haven't even started yet. However I have been thinking about it.

Any support would be very helpful

Good Luck #

Kate

Hi dottyp

well I guess we afre neighbours!

Our first assignment is about reflective writing eeekkkk. am reallly struggling a bit as this is new. Have had ideas from forum so will be trying them this week. We also have a child development module. The Study skills book is brilliant. I do need to sort out my thoughts and make a good start on my assignment this weekend. Good luck with yours, keep in touch.

currycraver

I have just completed my third week on the Foundation Degree at (Chichester). As you say, I am also really enjoying it but have ended up with 'piles' of notes and not sure how to start my first piece of work. I did my level 3 in 2000.

The study skills book I have gives lots of info but when it comes down to it, it's a matter of working out what are the important bits to include. I really want to start making a draft so I'm not sitting at the lap top during the whole of the half term worrying.

Annemarie 2205

It seems that each college/uni cover different topics as our first year covers:

Professional Practice

The Developing Child

Safeguarding Children

Promoting inclusive practice

Play and creativity in the curriculum

ICT in the early years

Supporting the healthy child

If we take a deep breath and don't panic, i'm sure we will get through it! :o

dottyp

I finished my foundation degree in May and am now topping up to a BA (hons). Try not to worry too much about your first assignment. If you are organised and research what has been discussed in class, it will all start to make sense.

Remember to write down where you found sources because it is really hard to find them again when you want to put them in your assignments.

Your tutors are there to support you, so make sure you ask them all the questions you need to in order to complete your work. We also had the option of doing some academic writing workshops that were very useful - you may be able to access something similar.

And for the days when it all seems too much - because there will be days like that - just look around your setting and reflect on the impact that your new knowledge has made. The time will really fly by, you will be finished before you know it.

Good Luck to you all

As an ex foundation degreer ( is that a real word !!! ) and now on the top up and EYP the two things that helped me get through it all , and am still using now is

1) copy of Stella Cottrells Studys Skills - superb book and really easy to understand

2) Index cards and a box to store - when I found things and quotes when reading I would note down quote page and book info as needed for harvard referencing and store them in the section of the box for topic . When it came to doing the essay/assignment it was all there ready!

Have graduated onto a spiral bound postcard sized notebook from Tesco now but I still have my little box of tricks and still use it occasionally

Good luck to you all you will be fine !

Hello and welcome to FSF Elm,

I am glad you have settled into studying again and are finding the course ok.

Have you had any guidance on your Professional Development Plan? ours is being called a RPD Record of Professional Development but we have not guidance as to what should be in it apart from you can put a few copies of your certificates in!

We have had our 1st assignment also not due in until Jan 2011

Hi,

Sorry for late reply. We haven't had much guidance either. We have been told, it should be approx 26 pages long and to put in a few reflective accounts. In lectures, we have looked at different learning styles, which we have also been told we can put in. Ours is due in Nov!

As an ex foundation degreer ( is that a real word !!! ) and now on the top up and EYP the two things that helped me get through it all , and am still using now is

1) copy of Stella Cottrells Studys Skills - superb book and really easy to understand

2) Index cards and a box to store - when I found things and quotes when reading I would note down quote page and book info as needed for harvard referencing and store them in the section of the box for topic . When it came to doing the essay/assignment it was all there ready!

Have graduated onto a spiral bound postcard sized notebook from Tesco now but I still have my little box of tricks and still use it occasionally

Good luck to you all you will be fine !

Hi

This is one thing I want to start as lots of people have recommended it in the books I have read.....I have my box and cards all ready but I am a bit dippy and need things explaining in Anne Marie speak.

How is the card set out or how is it stored. I know everyone is different but I want to make sure I have all the correct info on it. Would you store it under the book, quote or what topic you think it would come under?

I hope you can help

AM x

I stored mine under topic /assignment but made sure I had the book page number and other info needed for reference on the card as well as the quote so it was all to hand. xD

Thank you :o

Would you store it under the book, quote or what topic you think it would come under?

I think you'd need to organise it in whatever way it makes sense to you, and makes it easy for you to retrieve the information!

Good luck!

Maz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there i too have just started the degree and am working on an observation about fine and gross motor skills would appreciate any feedback on where to obtain developmental theories on this area of development. i have only just joined so hello to all and i hope i can also be of help at some point in return!

Hi,

Sorry for late reply. We haven't had much guidance either. We have been told, it should be approx 26 pages long and to put in a few reflective accounts. In lectures, we have looked at different learning styles, which we have also been told we can put in. Ours is due in Nov!

This sounds quite similar to a "portfolio" we are setting up, we will have study skills and things in there aswell as 10 observations and analysis and our reflective practices (20 i think) and a few other work sheets and things but we get until the end of the year to submit ours

Hi

This is one thing I want to start as lots of people have recommended it in the books I have read.....I have my box and cards all ready but I am a bit dippy and need things explaining in Anne Marie speak.

How is the card set out or how is it stored. I know everyone is different but I want to make sure I have all the correct info on it. Would you store it under the book, quote or what topic you think it would come under?

I hope you can help

AM x

I got my cards and little file today and am going to fill it with quotes i have used so far as I assume I can use the same quotes again in other assignments etc ???

Sad i know but i am quite excited I love stationery and filing lmao

I assume I can use the same quotes again in other assignments etc ???

Yes you can use quotes again in other assignments, however it depends on who is reading the assignments. If I read several assignments from one student with the same quotes in I might conclude the writer wasn't reading widely enough! :o

Maz

Doing degree with open uni . first year E100 which again different to others

Roles, provision & practice

children's lives

listening to children & adults

supporting learning

learning & development

learning environments-children & adults

I too am doing this through O.U maybe we can offer help to each other, i am totally stuck with TMA01 as have had 4 weeks off with ill health, do you have any advice

I too am doing this through O.U maybe we can offer help to each other, i am totally stuck with TMA01 as have had 4 weeks off with ill health, do you have any advice

I don't know what part you're stuck with but if you look on the E100 website forum, there is a lot of helpful advice on there. If not, can you contact your tutor for advice or maybe an extension?

Good luck

Karen (also studying E100 with OU)

• 1 month later...
this year i am doing

the reflective practitioner

observing and assesing children

child development birth to 5 years

the early years foundation stage framework

the early years literacy and numeracy

growth and development of the enquiring child

Hi

I'm just starting the essay for Reflective Practice, the body of the essay is fine but what do I put in the introduction? I've mentioned the 10 year strategy, ECM and the Field report. What else is there that leads to professional reflective practice?

All help gratefully recieved,

On my first year and my units are Starting to study - completed

Work based reflective practice - completion date end of Jan

Integrated services - start date end of Jan

Early years provision and practice - double module start date mid/end March

Thanks

Mellonie

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year!!! :o

I have finally completed my 1st assignment on 'supporting childrens learning' and it is ready for handing in. (yippppeeeeeee) Lets hope it passes!! How is everyone else getting on?

AM x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)