Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wild Child - Advice Please!

good and bad news today - my phase leader has been in to observe him. He sat and listened to a story and played well!! this is great for him but this isnt how he normally presents!! I hope that's not the only observation they do!!!

do you think I will get a second opportunity?? I assumed that that would be it!! Although this leader knows how much trouble I am having have been bending her ear for help since the start of term!

I'm sorry I don't work in a school so wouldn't know what you can expect. What I would say is that nobody should ever make a judgement based on one observation of a child so hopefully this person is motivated and professional enough to recognise that and plan more obs.

If you think that's all they're planning to do I'd suggest writing a diary of a typical day listing all the incidents, what may have triggered them, how they were managed, how much staff time they took, etc.

I'd also reflect on why the child did so well at the time of the ob, use that to explain why you'd like it done again and show that you've used this information to inform how you support him in the future.

This little boy is lucky to have you working so hard to help him.

With this kind of situation what is needed is evidence, and lots of it. Many years ago my NQT mentor advised me to use this tactic, on the basis that 'to get support, the school needs written evidence'.

Every time he kicks off, have a book where you write the date, time, details of the incident, who got hurt, what got damaged, what you did to try to stop the problem.

Then photocopy this and give a copy to the school SENCO, the head, your line manager, your phase leader, anyone you can think of. I would also record any negative encounters with the parents.

Make a nuisance of yourself and if nothing is done at least you have done your best for your class and for the child.

Are you a member of a union? That might be one other route to follow to get support if all else fails.

A few years ago I had a boy in my class who I'd also had as YR the year before. He has cerebral palsy, which affects him physically but also educationally.He had a statement before he started with full time support. Anyway, he was fine in YR (although he was well below the others in terms of achievement). In Y1, he began to find things really difficult, and I struggled on for half the year with various problems, including him going backwards in his learning, behaviour (as he was doing the toddler thing later than most children) and all sorts of other things (not to mention parents doing everything for him so wasn't indpendent at all).

Anyway, we arranged a mid-year review as we were concerned about his progress, and the ed psych came to observe him. She observed him for 45 mins, when of course he was the most angelic, polite and focused child going (I'm sure the fact that I am 99% sure that mum had told him she was coming to see him had nothing to do with it.... :o - even now she panders to his paddies if his TA explains that he is crying (at end of the day) because he had done 'xyz' and didn't like being told off - again, xD )

So that afternoon we had his review - where the ed psych basically told everyone at the meeting that he was a normal, polite child, etc. Oh thanks for that, so I'll just struggle on to the end of the year until his other professionals (physio, speech, hearing, etc) start to notice that actually there were problems....!

I know that doesn't help you, but do keep a log of everything and do push for more observations x

And can you video him - for those other times when, as purplemagic says, he's perfect for assessors? I used a video camera on a child over several months before her initial assessment and they were invaluable in letting other people see her in different situations. Plus it was nice to look back on and say 'golly, she's so much better now!' later on

Hi

I just wanted to say I have a variety of traveller families - most are permanently on a site.

The thing to remember is that the majority of our families are non readers & home school contact books are out of the question for these families.

At least the parents are coming to the school (even if to only pick up or drop off) - we never see the parents, as the children come by bus. The traveller families tend to have very strict rules & take 'no nonsense' & I find that the children often react to our different approach to behaviour- it takes longer to settle & adjust to school expectations.

The children also tend to have very few toys - it is just not seen as a priority & so he must feel he is in heaven with the toys in your setting!!

I totally feel for you - it is extremely hard on you, your staff & the other children. last year I had 3 children refusing to come in after lunch, they striped off & were playing in the nude on the play equipment!! (It still makes me laugh) But all 3 have now settled, 1 has still got behaviour problems, but is SO much better!

Another thing to remember is that these children (although yours is in a flat which has its own problems) is that they are turfed outside to 'play' all weekend & holidays, so Mondays is ALWAYS tricky for them, when they are expected to conform, listen etc.

Don't know if any of this is relevant, but keep on going, its tough but you'll look back in amazement at the progress made!

And can you video him - for those other times when, as purplemagic says, he's perfect for assessors? I used a video camera on a child over several months before her initial assessment and they were invaluable in letting other people see her in different situations. Plus it was nice to look back on and say 'golly, she's so much better now!' later on

Just caught up with this one but you may need to proceede carefully with the use of a camera. It can be frowned upon.

Hi

I just wanted to say I have a variety of traveller families - most are permanently on a site.

The thing to remember is that the majority of our families are non readers & home school contact books are out of the question for these families.

At least the parents are coming to the school (even if to only pick up or drop off) - we never see the parents, as the children come by bus. The traveller families tend to have very strict rules & take 'no nonsense' & I find that the children often react to our different approach to behaviour- it takes longer to settle & adjust to school expectations.

The children also tend to have very few toys - it is just not seen as a priority & so he must feel he is in heaven with the toys in your setting!!

I totally feel for you - it is extremely hard on you, your staff & the other children. last year I had 3 children refusing to come in after lunch, they striped off & were playing in the nude on the play equipment!! (It still makes me laugh) But all 3 have now settled, 1 has still got behaviour problems, but is SO much better!

Another thing to remember is that these children (although yours is in a flat which has its own problems) is that they are turfed outside to 'play' all weekend & holidays, so Mondays is ALWAYS tricky for them, when they are expected to conform, listen etc.

Don't know if any of this is relevant, but keep on going, its tough but you'll look back in amazement at the progress made!

What fantastic help and insight into the problems some traveller families may face, I was aware that literacy was a problem for the traveller community and how strict they can be with the children in their own way - I wonder whether this little boy conducted himself better when they had the Phase Leader in because maybe that person was a male, or some other reason through behaviour of the adults around the children in general

The phase leader did admit to having to use all her powers of distraction to avert him(and gave no other attention elsewhere) although he was having a good day. I have said ' thank you so much for the time you gave doing the observation and that there will be more wont there?' she was a little surprised and said cover was a problem...but of course she would try and support us

We have just had parents evening and 6 parents complained about him - very nicely but all the same they were concerned for the safety of their child! partly i was relieved as this escalates the problem somewhat but also dreadfully guilty that these parents were worried! The children have also been talking about things they like and want to learn about in school, as well as things they could change - four said the boys name as something to change!

After a particularly bad morning i scooped him up, with all my notes, the parents evening notes and the children's voice sheets and took them all along the corridor to the head. I put him down on the office chair and he smacked me.....she went rather crazy but it seemed to have the desired impact, seeing what i am dealing with.

We had a brief discussion today and he has had a referral for his speech and she has suggested he could go down to mornings.....

Mum has also been back in and said 'sorry' in her own way for exploding on us.....could it all be coming together??

i feel a little more able to cope and am a bit more able to see where the breakdowns appear with him - they are not any easier to deal with but at least i have an open door to the head - i took him down yesterday and returned for him 20mins later and he was asleep under her chair(also found out he doesn not go to bed till 9ish...i think he rules the roost!). it is not a solution to have him sleeping there/ having time out but at least we all feel a bit safer till the morning slots are arranged.

The phase leader did admit to having to use all her powers of distraction to avert him(and gave no other attention elsewhere) although he was having a good day.

To me this isn't so much an 'observation' of him then if she is actually interacting with him. In my view an observation like this should be from a distance so the child doesn't know they are being watched and should not involve any interaction with that child (unless initiated by them because obviously they can't ignore them!). How else could they get a true picture of the child's normal behaviour?

I think you should ask for another one as soon as possible and ask that the leader doesn't interact and just observes this time.

To me this isn't so much an 'observation' of him then if she is actually interacting with him. In my view an observation like this should be from a distance so the child doesn't know they are being watched and should not involve any interaction with that child (unless initiated by them because obviously they can't ignore them!). How else could they get a true picture of the child's normal behaviour?

I think you should ask for another one as soon as possible and ask that the leader doesn't interact and just observes this time.

Absolutely!

This observation was therefore performed in an environment with an extra member of staff! A good way to justify him needing a LSA but not recording the situation you have to deal with on a daily basis at all.

Absolutely!

This observation was therefore performed in an environment with an extra member of staff! A good way to justify him needing a LSA but not recording the situation you have to deal with on a daily basis at all.

It really annoys me when so called 'observers' do this. An educational psychologist recently did this with one of the children in my class and though he probably doesn't qualify for one to one anyway she did write a very glowing report on him making him out to be absolutely fine when he obviously isn't. His mum is also fuming about it!

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)