Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Forest Schools/outdoor Provision

Hi all can anyone help i need to plan 6 forest school sessions to include risk assesment and learning and development objectives for earlyl years does anyone have a template ? kind regards

Honey Bee

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have been taking children to natural spaces, primarily woodlands since 2005.

The children are outside for three hours every day they attend, which is at least

three days per week, throughout the year.

We don't provide planned activities - what happens is child-led. I assume it's like

continuous provision in a nursery where sticks, logs, mud, leaves etc are the

resources for play.

We adults see to the children's physical and emotional needs, observe and support

progress, and engage with them about their interests.

Forest School seems to me to be based on adult-initiated and adult-led activities

and focused on tools and fire, which requires training and intense adult supervision.

It seems unnecessarily complicated... Perhaps I'm wrong!

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

Im quite new to this site and was very interested in your forest school/outdoor provision discussion. At the moment I am currently studying for my foundation degree, im in my second year and have been asked to choose a research project. I have choosen to research about forest schools and whether we are using them enough in schools in England. I would just like to have some feedback about your opinions on this, and would appreciate if any one could help me generate some interview questons i could ask schools regarding whether or not we use the forest school approach enough and how they use it.

:1b many thanks Clare

You could ask "What to children gain from attending forest school sessions"? "What do they learn from this?"

At my nursery, Every 2 weeks we take the child down to our local field and we let them climb trees, roll around, we also take items such as powder paint to mix with puddles, and bubbles and bags so the children can collect things. I did an assignment at Uni on outdoor learning so if you need any help just ask.

• 1 year later...

Some lovely posts here. Have been a forest school practitioner for quite a while now and take out early years and also teenagers with my youth group.

Anyone new to forest school and its ethos might like to visit the Forest School Association website below for more information.

http://www.forestschoolassociation.org

also Surrey have a cluster group for all forest school practitioners and you can find out events and information on our Facebook page

Forest School Association Surrey Local Group

QUESTION.

With my early years group we have developed a forest school baseline prior to them starting full forest school, and a long and medium term plan whilst at forest school, that has different areas of learning and some that are linked to the eyes for our children. Is there a way that I can set up a section like we have with the eyes/leuven scales etc? so that these can be recorded and to enable us to have a better record of the effects of forest school on our children.

thank you.

Julie

• 4 months later...

hi all

we have a lovely woodland area near us that we are planning to start utilizing properly. we don't have a forest school leader but staff who value outdoor learning. what would be the first steps (apart from risk assessments and clearing the area of dangerous objects) to start incorporating this into the children's learning?

My suggestion:

1. Plan for how to make sure that the children are kept dry, warm, fed, watered and toileted.

2. Stand back and see what happens.

Children who mainly engage in play with man-made toys and adult-initiated activities may be lost for a while, until they have found their imagination and creativity from within. It's worth the wait!

3. Respond with as much modelling of ideas and as many questions and suggestions that are needed to engage them, then stand back.

Generally, I only engage with a child to deepen their learning when they are able to be fully involved in what they are doing for extended periods of time.

The very best moments in my work is when I observe this kind of play in nature. It is pure magic and makes all the background work to enable it to happen worthwhile.

• Like 1

My suggestion:

1. Plan for how to make sure that the children are kept dry, warm, fed, watered and toileted.

2. Stand back and see what happens.

Children who mainly engage in play with man-made toys and adult-initiated activities may be lost for a while, until they have found their imagination and creativity from within. It's worth the wait!

3. Respond with as much modelling of ideas and as many questions and suggestions that are needed to engage them, then stand back.

Generally, I only engage with a child to deepen their learning when they are able to be fully involved in what they are doing for extended periods of time.

The very best moments in my work is when I observe this kind of play in nature. It is pure magic and makes all the background work to enable it to happen worthwhile.

thank you wildflowers. i definitely agree with the more child initiated approach to learning in such an outdoor environment. but what about resources, mark making tools, buckets to collect items, magnifying glasses? would you take these outside too?

We're lucky to be in an area where there is chalk in the ground, so the children find pieces to make marks on smooth trees and cut up logs etc. They can also use our note pads and pens. We bring rope and occasionally small spades, magnifying glasses or peelers, if going to an area with a recently fallen tree or cut off branches. However, as we go out with rucksacks filled with snack, water bottles, toileting resources and spare clothes we can't take much more. But even if we could I wouldn't because resources can distract children from using their creativity. It is as if the focus is to keep the thing for as long as possible or to have a turn with it.

There are two different approaches, as I see it. One where the group is outdoors doing 'indoors' activities, which is great because it's always nicer to be outside. We do that in one of the spaces we use - painting on large sheets of paper, modelling with play dough on boards, looking at books on blankets, playing with water, using kitchen resources for woodland cooking etc. The other approach is more experiential and explorative, where the starting point is being in nature.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Is it possible/safe to have babies out in a woodlands area? at the moment toddlers and preschool access it but there is talk of rolling it out to the baby room too. has anyone had any experience with this?

[...] something that shows how forest school links to the 7 areas of the EYFS? [...]

I don't see any difference in children talking about / describing / imagining / constructing / counting etc something outside or inside in a classroom or forest. Is there any specific Forest School activity you have in mind?