Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

My Daughter And Asperger's

also children with AS can also be entitled to DLA, which is not told to parents by professionals making the diagnosis. Because they need more care and help than a child of the same age

Thanks Greystorm, you're right that lots of people don't know they could qualify for DLA.

Jenpercy, it's not a case of you get it with certain conditions because DLA is not diagnosis dependent. It is assessed on the level of support a child needs.

When applying for DLA you have to list all the ways your child needs help that other children of the same age do not. If that adds up to a sufficient length of time each day you qualify, if not you don't. The reason many people miss out on DLA is because they do not focus on the time aspect when applying. Lots of parents of children with ASD miss out for this reason too.

If you are referring to a particular parent of a child with ADHD I'd be happy to send you a link for a very helpful website which talks you through the process.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Greystorm, you're right that lots of people don't know they could qualify for DLA.

If you are referring to a particular parent of a child with ADHD I'd be happy to send you a link for a very helpful website which talks you through the process.

The family support worker at my son's school seemed to think he might qualify for DLA due to his ADHD diagnosis but when I went onto the government website I wasn't sure she was right.

I would be grateful if you could please send me the link. Emma

UpsyDaisy, I am so sorry to have missed out on this! I have been somewhat involved elsewhere for a while - a small excuse but true.

I can only echo everyone else in thanking you for sharing some really useful information and admiring you for being able to set it down and post for us to learn from.

Big hugs and support from me to you and your family

Sue xx

The family support worker at my son's school seemed to think he might qualify for DLA due to his ADHD diagnosis but when I went onto the government website I wasn't sure she was right.

I would be grateful if you could please send me the link. Emma

I've sent you a PM with some links, Emma.

UpsyDaisy, I am so sorry to have missed out on this! I have been somewhat involved elsewhere for a while - a small excuse but true.

I can only echo everyone else in thanking you for sharing some really useful information and admiring you for being able to set it down and post for us to learn from.

Big hugs and support from me to you and your family

Sue xx

Thank you! I have to say that the lovely supportive responses I've had have made it well worthwhile putting fingers to keyboard so to speak.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)