Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Limiting Number Of Children Using Area

Mazlittle,

yes, it has got a slide attachment but my climbing frame is a bit worse for wear. The slide and steps attachments have both broken xD , the hooks to the frame have snapped.

It stayed in the cupboard for ages until we realized we don't need these attachments to use it. It has been used as a house ( drape a curtain around sides) a pirate ship :D , a "Bear Hunt" cave, the children often carry play food over from the "house" and have a picnic seated in the base. I often squeeze inside and have been known to have a (pretend) kip on the small lower platform :o.

Next week "Garden topic" we will transform it into a garden shed. The uses are endless and the children haven't missed their slide yet. Also without "steps" the children concentrate harder at their climbing skills up the sides.

Peggy

p.s. One christmas the children decided to "decorate" the climbing frame by wrappiong different coloured masking tape around the framework....it stayed on for months, it wasn't until a parent asked me if it was safe that I realised she thought the frame was broken and had been "taped" together again :D:D

• 3 weeks later...

At the beginning of the year in our reception class we are quite clear about restricting numbers of children where it seems appropriate to us (i.e. for safety or space reasons) - at the sand, water and role play areas. At tables we put an appropriate number of chairs around. The children do drag the occasional chair across, and so long as everyone is happy with that and the play is co-operative and sensible we don't worry. If we can see that one friend will be left out we are flexible with the numbers in our 'restricted' areas - children often ask 'can xx join us if we are sensible?' This way everyone joins in and everyone behaves appropriately. If we let more children join an area than is 'allowed' we are clear with the children why - e.g. "this looks such an exciting game x and y can stay in the sand." Our rationale for this is that children need learn about rules and the reasons for them, but also to know that adults can be flexible when it is appropriate

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Totally agree with Peggy and Co.

Just rereading this made me think of something we do to help the children in negotiating for turn taking, and in 'space' problems.

We expect children to ask ' How long will you be? if there is something they want to have a go at, or there isn't room.' . We support the other child to listen and answer.

Children will answer 2 minutes or 5 minutes e.t.c. (We model 2 minutes -but they alter this!) We expect the child answering to then pass the objects on or find the other child, and we support them to do this. Its quite funny and illuminating to see the different amounts of minutes the repliers give. Most will happily give up bike or other object with this system, and will use the idea independently as long as you continue with reminders and modellingand valuing this approach. We praise children for asking and for giving.

You do have to work at it, but its well worth it.

Lynda

Hi Lynda,

Sounds like a good idea-I can imagine responses like 'a hundred minutes'!! will try it tomorrow thanks :)

Zim,

Let us Know how you go on.

This approach is based on the Highscope principles talked about earlier in this thread

Meanwhile is there anyone who has Reception children in a Foundation stage unit in the morning and then they leave you to go in a Key Stage 1 room in the afternoon?

Would love to share ideas of how you plan, assess, and work towards continuation.

Thanks Lynda

• 3 weeks later...

We abandoned pre-set limits on numbers in all areas as it limited so much learning about sharing and negotiation. We train the children to use 1,2,3 and 5 minute sandtimers to fairly share popular resources (the "best" train/dress-up etc), and support them in trying to solve the problems that arise. After a couple of terms the sand-timers become redundant, and the children understand (through experience) that the same resources will be there later, and on following days for them to use. I think much of the children's upset over sharing is caused by anxiety, and that as they relax and settle into the setting, these worries largely diasappear.

We also encourage verbal negotiation. Children learn very quickly that if they "Winge" loud enough and often enough they normally get what they want ie: "I want a turn, it's my turn now, he won't let me have a turn etc etc.

We encourage a win / win situation, "Please can I have the bike when you are finished?" ( we encourage the bike rider to listen and respond) The answer is always "Yes" :D .

We don't use timers ( because they take away the problem solving aspect of the situation from the child). We ask the child waiting "What would you like to do while you are waiting?" and because they have had a positive "Yes" response are happy to go off.

We then remind the bike rider "Don't forget to let .....have the bike when you are finished, she is waiting" We keep an eye for when the child has finished and remind them to let the other child know. Or if they are a really long time, we remind them "Did you forget?..........is waiting".

This doesn't happen overnight and is a long process but through encouragement and adult role modelling of this process of negotiation it does eventually work and the children have learnt a very valuable life skill.

And yes, we still get the occasional "argy bargy" when a child will push, shove or do whatever it takes to get what he/she wants :o , we just go through the process again with him/her.

Peggy

[

I'm afraid I think it's a bit silly to restrict numbers at any activity and a waste of valuable time policing such silly rules when we could be using the time to observe and extend the childn's learning like we are supposed to. i read in one of our professional mags today someone putting forward a "good idea" for some kind registering system for the chdren to use to select the activities they wanted to do. they only had four spaces for role play. Imagine? How could you develop role play with only four children allowed to join in? OK perhaps outfits will restrict numbers a bit but our police stations have plain clothes police as well and the lady in the fire station office doesn't need a uniform, nor do the patients in the doctors surgery or hospital. children learn to self regulate and if there isn't enough room for someone to do what they want in the sand pit because others were there first then a quiet suggestion that they could come back later when the others have finished usually works. Sorry if i've offended anyone but i felt quite strongly about this when i read it.

sheila

I dont restrict numbers either, Sheila. 5 children can play quite happily one day and another 3 will squabble with the same resources, so if noise levels are not excessive and play is progressing well I dont intervene. Sometimes, activities are self limiting and if I was making games etc, I used to make for 6, as I tried to keep my groups to 6 for adult focus and adult modelling is often so important.

We don't restrict numbers except for water play, where there are only 4 aprons, and painting, because there is only one easel. The children are usually happy to wait or do something else in the mean time. This week we have had our builders tray out with peas, beans, pasta and gravel with spoons, tweezers and tongs. We removed the chairs from around the table as the children found it easier to access standing up. It was very popular and at one stage there were about 10 children all involved. There was some friction as one child had scooped most of the contents into one corner and was hogging it but this was soon remedied.

So we have some areas where they have to wait and take turns and others where they don't-a happy balance which most of us have I'm sure.

Linda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)