Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Turnover

Thanks Geraldine, I have been thinking on exactly the same wave length as you, how to balance the needs of the employee and also run an effective business. I shall do as Sue R suggests and just continue to "chill" out for a few days. My best skill is "crisis management" ( only because I'm a poor planner :D:D ) so if it's not sorted by the time we go back, I'm sure I'll deal with it in the short term and then make some kind of formal decision on how to progress for the long term.

Thanks for all your advice and support.

Peggy

• 2 weeks later...

1st day back and 'Ann' should have worked today (although I haven't heard from her all holiday- answer-machine).

Her daughter was bought in by a relative. I was at the dentist when 'Ann' came to pick her daughter up. She told my deputy that She has had major problems with her 'ex', and therefore feels she is unable to work again because he may come to the preschool and cause more problems. I understand her 'Stress', but the least she could of done was to phone me.

My deputy suggested that she wrote me a note of resignation, there and then, which she helped her to word. I will see her later in the week when her daughter comes in again, and at least her daughter has some continuity in her life at this difficult time.

I'm a bit anti ex boyfriends" who don't allow their "ex's" to get on with their lives- but I only know one side of the story and will keep well out of it.

I've offered other staff extra hours until I can replace her, most probably go for someone who is already qualified.

"THE END"

Peggy

Well at least you know where you stand now. Glad it's sorted. You've only got the simple task now of employing somebody with loads of enthusiasm, foresight, initiative and communication skills. Good luck Peggy :o:D

Well Peggy,

At least she can't come back and say you haven't been understanding. :o I think the headache of employing someone new is worth it as at least then you'll know where you stand, rather than the situation you have found yourself in. Good luck! :D

Dear Peggy

As someone else said at least you know where you stand and you have certainly handled it well - it is always worth investing in this type of thing look at the positive side she may be available to come in to support you for the the odd day (staff sickness etc) which is always good thing and may work well for both parties.

Nikki

I'm sure you'll have no problem attracting the kind of multi-tasking, forward thinking, enthusiastic and knowledgeable staff Peggy.

Even though I know your attempts to headhunt certain Forum members have been unsuccessful....

Will you be offering a company jag and staff uniform (including leather trousers)??

Maz

For you rea....well maybe a dinky one.

Nicola you have a good point about staff cover, one I also thought of ( trying to stay positive) I haven't seen her myself yet but hope to by the end of the week.

Actually my nightmare continues, today my deputy, been with me since I opened, said to me that she may be leaving, she says that as soon as we get a good team, something spoils it and she feels she can't "start over agian" with someone new coming in. I had to spend a considerable time trying to motivate her, and as it happened it was her annual appraisal today. When we got to training needs, (she is well qualified) she said she had already looked to do a course to move to work in a school, I asked was this what she really wanted, no she said, but early years has been such an uphill struggle that she feels too worn down and tired with it all and can't see where she goes forward with professional development if we at the preschool are knocked back all the time.

I've offered to get information for her on Foundation degree, and talked about getting teacher qualification as this is the way, I beleive, early years preschools etc will be staffed in the future. She went away from the meeting appearing to be a bit happier, but time will tell.

Peggy

Oh Peggy: it never rains but it pours.

I must say you sound a very thoughtful employer: I'm sure you felt like screaming, but you dealt with it very professionally.

Well done: you give me something to aspire to! Let us know how you (and your member of staff) get on.

Maz

Dear Peggy

Well, get your lips around a glass of wine - it may not solve the problem but I think you might need it.

It is so hard sometimes to keep motivation going - and yes we have to compete with so many other issues. I get really cross - I am sure that your deputy wouldn't have these issues if we were recognised for what we do. The problem is as you probably recognise that sometimes we cannot compete and no matter how much we try and motivate our staff there are times when we are up against it. We have so many more issues and we are not on a level playing field. Your suggestion of allowing her to do a Foundation Degree is good but ultimately you know as well as I do you can support her through this but unless the situation changes - what will she do - yep she will probably leave and take up a position elsewhere

If we are to act to as training ground for professional childcare and education workers then give us the resources to do it. I really think that the Government ought to put their money where their mouth is. They write an 83 page document on the value of pre schools, they talk about working in partnership with the voluntary and private sectors to deliver "guaranteed quality for children", they talk about providing "ensuring private and voluntary receive the funding they need" p 37 of the National Childcare Strategy and yet they also suggest in the same document that "the childcare market is not working to drive down prices and drive up quality" page 67.

They are having a bloody laugh aren't they - so tell me where do we go and how do we achieve it? Do they really think that the amount of the NEG funds the running of a group. I have replied in another forum to someone I think a teacher who has a budget of £500 for the year, I think, how do they think we can manage? Are they expecting us to achieve all that we achieve and pay less than a Supermarket worker. Whilst I am not demeaning this job - we all know that we have a much greater responsibility - we are held personally responsible for any health and safety issues for which we can be sued, we are instrumental in ensuring "that the children get the best start in life" p17 and that "good quality early years provision can hep redress the impact of growing up in poverty and disadvantage" p. 17.

I am sorry for not being very positive and cannot give you any solutions to the problem but it has struck a raw nerve. I am attending a meeting soon with Naomi Eisenhardt, one of the senior Sure Start bods. We had to put up our questions beforehand - presumably because they didn't want any contentious issues raised that they couldn't answer or didn't want to answer because the 10 year childcare strategy is all an ideal - one that they cannot achieve without a great deal of financial input and one they appear to be unable to support financially. I have put one up whether it will be there I don't know - it questions this very problem.

Well that's me done - I've got on my high horse - all I can say is that I empathise with your dilemma - I don't have an answer as I can also empathise with your deputy too. Let me know how it goes and you can bet your bottom dollar, if I get the chance, I will raise these questions at the Surrey Early years conference with Naomi.

All the best Peggy - keep going

Nikki

ps are there any other Surrey workers who will be attending this meeting - would love to know -we could get together - united front and that! Let me know

Hi Nicola

All I can say to that is "hear, hear".

I've said before (and no doubt will again) that I think the pre-school workforce is probably the most committed and least rewarded in the job market today.

That we can agree with everything you've said and still retain any kind of motivation to do the job speaks volumes for our dedication to the children in our care, and our belief in the quality of the services we offer them.

As for your meeting: I hope you get some answers, and I look forward to hearing how it goes.

Maz

Dear Mazlittle,

I agree with your sentiments entirely, I alo put nurses in the same categories as well. they also have a highly responsible job to do and yet do not get paid their worth - perhaps that's why they all opt out of the system to go into "bank staff" where they can earn probably three times as much for doing this and yet it must cost the NHS more to operate in this way.

I really feel sorry for you Peggy just when one problem gets resolved there is always another one around the corner. wouldn't it be nice to just get on and do the "actual" job without having to spend all our time trying to balance everything.

I am really looking forward to this Surrey Early Years meeting but I am sure I will have to take a gag with me to stop myself from challenging what they say. I spend a huge amount of time on making myself a better manager and yet when they print something like the ten year strategy which does has many good points but has not been properly thought through I really get extremely angry - to me they are just words - and couldn't we all write something that we think would be an ideal and it wouldn't cost the thousands of pounds to do it - I wonder just how much it cost to produce the 10 year strategy? but actually supporting it financially may be impossible. I see lots of threats but not too many opportunities for an awful lot of the private sector and ultimately they are taking away the choice for parents. I could go no for ever so I will shut up now but as you can see it does hit a raw nerve! Bashing it out on the electronic forum acts a bit like therapy.

Nikki

Oh Peggy I am sorry you are having such a rough time. I do hope things get better for you at work. 2004 was a really .......... :( Year for me both at work and at home, I am glad you are managing to keep going and not let it get you down too much, a glass of wine and a cuddle from a loved one can help just try and not let it get you down too much, in theory things should get better. Hate to tell you this it hasn't in my case but its only April!!!!!!

Nicola, I agree with everything you have said. How do you all manage to keep so positive, my morale/emotions keep going up and down like a rollercoaster.

:o Gizzy xD

Just last night, hubby said to me, I'm glad you've found that forum site ( although at first he complained about the hours I spent here). He showed he understands that it helps me to know that other people ( who are not personally known to me, so are objective) have the same struggles, can offer a different view point, and that we also have a laugh as well.

Over the past few months I've tried to empathise, support, advice and motivate some of you. Thank you for your comments on my original post and subsequent discussions on what has become a very important issue to me.

I have had a rough three years, I expected it to be difficult, opening my own business, allowing time for developing a high standard of quality for the children and families. staff team building (storming to norming cycle), Business management etc, My dream however, is really starting to be my nightmare.

Monday- "Ann" resigns. Another member of staff reports some local gossip to me that 6 parents will be taking their children out because a child got bitten ( day before end of Spring Term- 1st time it had happened to this child)

Tuesday- Parent of child phones to say she would not be returning ( I thanked her for at least letting me know and not just leave without a word). My deputy says she feels like giving up - moving on. ( And yes NICOLA, it was really hard to motivate her because I agree with how she feels)

Today - Another member of staff, single parent, has been thinking about when her son starts school in September ( he attends preschool 4 full days a week- he will start school 5 half days a week, 7 miles from the preschool- she doesn't drive- the logistics for getting her son to school and collecting lunchtime and working for me 3 full days a week are impossible). We had discussed this before and I was going to get cover for her for a term ( January he goes to school full time) in the meantime her plan was to pass her driving test so that she could cover travel logistics by January.

Well, she's thought it through and has done some financial calculations ( she wanted to increase her hours, in January, great would cover "Anns" lost hours) but, on working Family Tax Credit , changing from 16 hrs to 35 hrs she would only be £20 a week better off ( not counting extra travel etc)

We've done lots of calculations, pro rata pay, less than 35 but more than 16hrs but the sums always equate to "why bother". So now she has said she may be better off just packing up in September and going back on benefits. I can see why she's come to this sad conclusion.

Yes NICOLA, a training ground, in the last year alone, my staff have achieved

Staff A - Advanced Playworker ( level 3), Supervisor qualification - SENCO

Staff B - NVQ 3

Staff C - DPP-( single mum above, just completed)

Staff D - NVQ 2 ( "Ann", now resigned)

Staff E - NVQ 2 ( completes next month)

Staff F - Basic skills in language and literacy (Registered disabled (learning disability) member of staff who worked "Voluntarily" for 10 yrs in another preschool until I "employed" her 2 yrs ago - she's never had a day off :D - and I think she was exploited by the other group :o )

And me. I've just organised and supported all the training alongside attending umpteen "one day workshops".

NICOLA, I also agree about our "status" in early years. At the end of the day, however "Glossy" the consultations, strategies, and partnerships are portrayed, We are not (all) qualified teachers, therefore our "status" is only worthy of minimum wage, and as carers, not educators- ( which is important to the majority of society)

My intention is not to offend, I have met and worked with some wonderful people with QT Status, Tutors, Social Workers and advisors, but...........Also a lot of Teachers, EYATS, SENCO's, Ofsted Inspectors (all government employees meeting government targets) some who have minimal age / life experience or early years training and experience, who have been employed to visit my setting, make judgement, and tell me what I should change, and how to develop, never having done what I do.

A few years ago, I was made redundant as Early years advisor ( 2 yr post) because government wanted 1 teacher ( advisor) per 10 preschools, I inducted the new teachers, they were lovely people but they talked about advising on F.S. Curriculum etc but couldn't understand the whole picture/context of the people they would be advising, ie: 30 yr old setting, in village hall with management / motivational issues to support before staff were able to "Manage change" ( this was back in DLO days, accountability for funding, something at that time very new to preschool people)

I have 19 yrs of experience in the early years profession.

Parent, Playgroup assistant, preschool Supervisor, PLA Tutor, LEA Early Years Advisor (County Area), PLA Accreditation Assessor ( national Area), NVQ Assessor, Higher Education (College) Tutor. I was involved in the formation of my local EYDCP, including sub groups such as training and grants.

I have many years experience, including some time visiting and learning about European practice, and I am trained at ADCE (Level 4 or is it 3 now), Cert Ed, and could most probably achieve degree and QTS level of qualification should I feel inclined to ( or could afford to). I have kept up to date with legislation, strategies etc and have a good strategic overview of what is going on at local, regional and national ( and research of European) aspects of the profession.

My principles are in the value of "Learning through play" ( however old fashioned that may sound, it is, I believe, paramount). In practice, I try to be forward thinking, accountable, TO THE CHILDREN AS INDIVIDUAL PEOPLE (not government who come and go). I believe in the importance of research. There are always new hypothesis to enquire regarding children as "our future generation" not as conformists to our adult expectation from the historical value of children. I have learnt from reading the work of professors such as Tricia David, Cathy Silva, the Coram Institute, Marjory Eddington etc.

But then I went PRIVATE, Yes other Private providers have and will be successful, BUT, I personally cannot see my principles being upheld in a climate of disjointed thinking, political point scoring, external intervention into my workplace ( by people with agenda's not related to my principles) to "help" me be accountable. I feel I have struggled to maintain my principles for what I see is the "best start in life for children", TO BE CHILDREN.

I am beginning to despise the thought of children as young as 3 or 4 yrs old in FS Units and other "Educational" settings( how institutional F.S. Unit sound compared to "Happy Days Nursery "(for example). The support requested on this site from good people who are trying to work in this way speaks for itself, ( organisation of 85 children, lack of staff, lack of understanding from heads, lack of funding etc) IS THIS PROGRESS?, I don't think so. I know they are trying their best for the children, but at what cost to the children.

I cannot see myself being able to uphold my principles within my present situation, the odds are stacked too highly, the struggle is too hard. I feel a failure, 19 yrs, living and breathing "preschool", my dream of owning and running a preschool is gone because the changing demands are too high. I am only human, I, like many of you have worked a 50/60 hr week for £8,000 a year( less tax), had my experience & confidence undermined by inspectors and advisors and I feel I am under-valued.

I apologies for this extensive ( very personal opinionated) post, It has taken me 3 hrs to write and is my personal feelings at this time ( I really do not want to offend anyone). I feel it is like an obituary, for 19 yrs I have thought about "providing a preschool service of the best quality", My dream has ended for me after just 4 yrs in the Private sector for many more reasons than stated, including my own abilities,( I'm not perfect) I have decided ( during this epilogue) to close my preschool in July. This is not just a job to me, it is/was a LIFES work toward my dream. ( I'm really trying not to be melodramatic but I feel that strong about my principles).

Positive thinking = positive results. WORKING WITH CHILDREN IS AN HONOUR, THAT I HAVE BEEN PRIVILAGED TO EXPERIENCE, and as I feel the working conditions( through internal or external forces) does not sit comfortable with me, then I have to do something about it. It's time I got out of it. There are stronger (or younger) people out there who will have similar principles as me and will fight and make a difference. NICOLA for example has the opportunity to argue her points, good luck to you Nicola at your meeting, and all who do the same.

Peggy

P.s. I think I would still feel the same if I was working in an FS Unit, school or any other early years setting, The emphasis on "performance" set goals for the children in early years settings is not what we should be working towards. Yes, we should be accountable , but NOT AT THE COST OF THE CHILDRENS CHILDHOOD. because we and worse they have targets to meet, which are not about "the child" but are about academic ability, before social emotion. We now have a "curriculum" for 0-3 yr olds, B23 is now included in the Ofsted Inspections. ( so is now a "compulsory curriculum").

Dear, dear Peggy,

If it were not so sad, frustrating and thought provoking piece I would commend you most highly on your wonderful and eloquent (not too sure if that's the right word) piece you have written. I wished I could have written something like that in three hours. I think for many of us here it will strike a chord as I think it says so much about how many of us feel and you have obviously done a lot of soul searching during the last few months to arrive at this decision.

But one thing for sure You are not a failure and never ever think that, the system has failed you in your endeavours to provide you with the means of achieving what the children really need. Working all the hours you have done and achieving all that you have for £8000 a year is not failure. It shows me that you are a clearly committed individual who has very strong principles, who has not, and will not compromise those principles for the sake of those individuals who are not so principled. You should feel proud of all that you achieved, you have every right to feel sad but not a failure.

You clearly have a great understanding of what is happening on ground level which is as you say where it counts, you have shown your commitment to both the children and the staff throughout the past four years by your continual research and whilst I would really like to say "keep going - things will get better" and to keep at it but I am finding it difficult as I know that it will be a long uphill struggle and I think it will reach crisis point before we get there. The crisis being that many more people of your calibre will begin to take a long hard look at what they do and what they can realistically achieve within the system and start to think "why" and will be lost.

When I read that providers are "not working towards driving down prices and pushing up quality" just where do they get this information from. Perhaps the person who wrote this might like to get off their ass and spend a couple of weeks in a group like many of ours on this site but the powers that be probably wouldn't sanction the overtime or sadly they would because they have the money to do it!! We might just then see a few more entering the sector if they felt they got paid a reasonable wage for achieving all that we do. We all love what we do but that doesn't mean to say we have to subsidise the Government in their endeavours to achieve what they quite rightly say is a very important stage in a child's life.

With regard to my attending this meeting, well its an all day conference for anyone in Surrey (and must be costing thousands to put on - I wonder if all the members from the EYDCP are getting paid to attend this or, are they, like myself attending this as a commitment to further my knowledge and understanding - I think we all know the answer to this as local Government could never be seen to be exploiting their staff) with the Sure Start lady, the very fact that we have to post questions before the meeting to me doesn't rest easily. If they have a full understanding of what they are trying to achieve within the diversity of the sector, and let's face it they couldn't achieve it without the private sector, then surely they must be able to field any questions that arise from the floor. But I very much think that it will be a formal question and answer session with no room for debate or discussion which of course will make me really angry if we are not allowed to forward an opinion on pre-set questions/answers that will no doubt warrant further debate. But we wait and see - I may be totally wrong - I hope so. I am going armed with my ten year strategy - which has more flourescent highlighting and comments than the document itself! So how sad is that then!

Peggy, I really don't know what else to say - you have already given this a lot of thought and my only advice would be to sit back and reflect on everything you have achieved and make sure that this really is the decision you "need" to make - I originally typed "want" but then recognised that it is not one that you want to make.

Nikki

Peggy,

I'm really sorry that you feel your preschool has been a failure. xD I'm sure that the children who have attended have benefitted more than you could imagine and that in itself means it was not a failure. I don't blame you for wanting to pack it in - my husband is constantly urging me to do the same and the temptation at times is great. :o I just hope that you stay within the sector somewhere, as you have offered such good advice here on the forum.

Parents are very fickle, especially when it comes to their children. I think we could all do the most wonderful job and still find ourselves open to criticism, so whilst I take all negative comments seriously and look at ways to improve what I am doing, I also recognise the fact that it is impossible to please everyone. The problem is that negativity tends to feed upon itself, so one disgruntled parent can soon cause ripples to pass through others too. Try not to let yourself be dragged into feeling negative yourself - you have been my positive inspiration this year! :)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Peggy, I wish I'd had the words to write what you did. It echo's my own thoughts about how government and 'specialists' are failing all children. I doubt there is a positive outcome for most of us in childcare. We are too top heavy with regards to people who tell us whats 'best', people who you quite rightly point out sometimes have little or no experience in what they are telling us to do. A young Ofsted inspector, at my suitable person interview asked why, when I explained play sand was hard to get hold of in the winter, we didnt use builders sand. It's this kind of comment multiplied by various agencies over the years that have directly contributed to my decision to leave. Dont feel that you have failed, that way lies madness! The system, the targets and all the new initiatives have failed you. In the days before the FS curriculum was introduced, playgroup was a place for children to play with others, see adults outside of their family as figures of help and authority, make friends, learn about the things around them and socially acceptable behaviour. We were working to the FS document long before it was thought up and doing a good job too. There is always someone who wants to re-invent the wheel to justify their huge salaries. If the government strategy is to work they are going to need many more childcare workers, go back to tutoring, at least that way future childcare workers can be assured of high quality training, and an understanding of the needs of very young children when they are stuffed into wholey unsuitable FS units at the age of 3. I do feel for you Peggy, but once a decision is made, things can only get better. :):D

Peggy

I'm not usually lost for words, but I don't really know what to say to you.

Its heartbreaking to read your post and as I took on board what you were saying, I was just thinking that the pre-school movement cannot afford to lose visionary, committed practitioners such as yourself.

The children in your care are lucky to have you, and their families should feel privileged to be able to send their children into your care everyday.

I'm not sure I know what the answer is. But I can say that we're all here to listen when times get tough and when you need a shoulder to cry on, our collective shoulder is ready.

Maz

Hello Peggy.....im back,

went to Thorpe park today ..plea from my daughter before brother returns from Kenya..... spent the day freezing and contemplainting your moving post. It worries me as i wonder how many more of us are going to go the same way with all we have to deal with these days..from paper work, improving our qualifications, NEGs, 10 yr stratagy etc.

Just remember you are not the failure the system and some not all parents are the ones that let us down!!!!

I hope you have a peaceful weekend, thinking of you :o

Thank you all, Hali, I cried buckets last night, didn't sleep until 3am up again at 7am.

I went to work today tired, but with a HUGE weight off my shoulders. In my sleepless night I thought about how much fun I am going to have this term, I can't wait for Ofsted to arrive( they crucified me 18 mths ago and I'm that bad they haven't bothered to come back yet-obviously too busy looking for my paperwork) I shall say WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? I've expected them everyday for the last year ( How's that for stressful living).

I don't care what they say, I'm going to do all the "mad" things I usually do with the children ( but refrain from when inspected)

I'm going to climb to the top of the climbing frame and be a pirate with my mates.

I'm going to put on the cowboy hat, shoot the inspector with my toy pistol, whilst riding on the rocking horse singing "She'll be coming round the mountain when she come yeehah".

Then I'm going to wear the bumble bee outfit ( yes, it's a bit tight, but it does fit honest) and buzz around her, threatening to sting ( but it's only pretend) I may need help to get the costume off though.

I shall have a supply of frozen "Wet" fish in the freezer, I normally buy fresh (but as I don't know when they will come- frozen). I wonder how long it will take them to thaw in the water tray whilst I and all the children explore their scales, look in their mouths and to link with the pirate play we can pretend they are sharks.

Then I shall expect the inspector to come outside while we have 30 minutes of "puddle jumping" in the rain, followed by our frequent walks to the local beach ( Hey it's not my fault she/he didn't bring a coat :D )

We'll make healthy jam crackers for snacks, because food should be fun, sticky and messy, with hot chocolate ( well warm for the children) for them to dip their crackers in. We can talk about the obsorption rate of crackers compared to bread.

Then we will play VERY LOUD MUSIC, on our Africn drums with a smashing of symbols for good measure.

When she asked why I didn't follow my plans, which may staff and I spent hours developing, I shall say Tom asked for the climbing frame, Sue said she saw a bumble bee and was scared ( so I showed her they are friendly if left alone), The fish, well, I'll make up some obscure festival and say I only found out about it from the daily paper and I like to be "doing my bit for cultural diversity". I didn't know it was going to rain. ( If its sunny I will just have a very messy squirty paint bottle session outside as part of our daily colour recognition activities). The walk is timetabled every day, so browny points there.

I can't wait, do you think I'll pass. I DON'T CARE. because the children will give me an "Exceptional" rating.

I thought my "Work" life in early years had ended yesterday, after my soul searching decision. However, I like the look of the "workforce strategy" ( But I always see the best in everything until the policy makers make us try to put it into practice) I showed the Nursery World article to my deputy, I told her that I was thinking of closing but had had a really fun fantastic day today ( The children spent most of it learning to use my digital camera- fantastic photoes of favourite toy, favourite playmate and favourite grown up). I talked to my deputy about how things may develop nationaly, and she said she was more inspired to do a degree. I said, it would be a shame if she did it but then didn't manage a setting because she is restricted by WFTC calculations. She said this would change when her son turns 18 soon, and she could work full time. She has they same ethos and principles as me.

So, today at work I was considering, I will still leave but to keep the preschool open and have her as manager. I could support her with admin from home.

Well, is it fate?, I opened my post when I got home and my husband and I have an initial interview next week to become foster parents, something I applied for a while ago, still not sure if it's for us until we find out more.

Watch this space (well any developments, I'll start a new post because this one is very long now- 6 pages)

I do not want to add to any of your own feelings of dissalusionment ( can't spell) as some of mine is self inflicted because I have ( unhealthily) lived and breathed my work for a long time, I haven't allowed myself a work/life balance, maybe part of my decision is because my new husband ( well 6 yrs) has made me realise how important this is.

Nicola and Rea, we are so much on the same wavelength and I really appreciatte your replies, Mazlittle and Hali, you always cheer me up when I read your posts, Beau, I promise I will always try to stay positive ( It's the only new years resolution I have ever stuck with- although I have a few "Blips".

I'm really looking forward to Monday- the release of "Internal pressure" is immense and fantastic. Off to the pub for a meal out, and to discuss with hubby, close and end or put in a manager? He is so good at seeing things objectively but with sensitivity to my soul ( because he is my soul mate and I like the idea of spending more time with him instead of laminating posters, board games, picture cards etc etc etc)

Peggy

p.s. Today, I realised that my daily work has been so clouded by external pressures, I had lost my way and forgotten how to enjoy "just being" with the children, I did this ALL DAY, and no doubt when I leave I shall envy all of YOU, your time with the children ( and some good parents). So, have a work free weekend and enjoy yourselves on Monday, I certainly am going to. :D:D:D

Thank you all again for being such great comrades and friends

Dear Peggy,Have not been a member of the forum for long, (beginning of March) but have already clocked up many hours reading posts (and chiming in when the whim takes me).

During my 'research' into the site I have read lots and lots of posts from you and have been struck by your quick grasp of different members concerns/problems and have nodded my head in agreement over your sensible advice obviously based on your great experience, knowledge and sheer love of what yo do.

I am really sorry that you're feeling low at the moment (and after your recent experiences who wouldn't?) and my only advice would be don't decide anythig yet. As a profession (and Peggy you are the ultimate professional) we all need you.

Much love Barb

Peggy, your last post sounded a lot more up beat than the previous one. The posiive attitude is back I see :D If the inspector doesnt love what you plan to do, ask them why not. I dare her to come up with a valid reason. :(

You've also inspired me to go into playgroup next week and play. I too love going on the climbing frame (much to the disgust of 1 member of staff) apparently the children get over excited and might fall. I might get over emotional and strangle someone, but thats life I'm afraid :D In fact, from now on, my response to anything non life threatening is going to be 'I'm playing, come back later' :o:D

Enjoy your meal in the sure knowledge that the image of you taking a poor unsuspecting inspector on an outing is keeping me warm xD

Dear Peggy

Good for you - things really often have a funny way of turning out for the better - you'll hopefully look back and say "fate" played a hand and no matter what you decide to do ultimately I know that it will be the best decision for you. In the infamous words of Scarlett O Hara "tommorrows another day" - life is for the living and you're too long dead - so rest assured you will know what the right decision is and you will make the most of it.

And thank you for your kind words I too feel that we are on the same wavelength and enjoy your forum posts.

Have a great weekend - not too much wine - but there again why not!!

Nikki

Well, Hi, Peggy.

I've been away on a long weekend so haven't been able to join in. I just don't want you to think I'm ignoring you!

Everyone else has said everything I would have, just so sorry I wasn't around to add my bit. Whatever you do, have fun, you deserve it. Will be thinking of you all the time.

Sue :D

I feel the same as you, Sue. Haven't got back into working regularly yet and missed Peggy's post. I've gone through the whole range of emotions this evening reading it.

Peggy,

Your day with the children sounds fantastic; I'm sure we'd all be there too if we could. :o

If I could make you believe one thing about yourself though, it's what others have said above; you are ALWAYS demonstrating your knowledge, sheer professionalism and kindness towards members on this site, and we really do appreciate you. You sound like you have started to back off and get rid of some of the pressure you are under. Continue to do that.......it really is the only answer, I think. I too have felt that I live and breathe the nursery to the virtual exclusion of everything else, and I'm trying to teach myself that if I work 6 hours less per week, the children are not going to suffer! :D

• 2 months later...

This is starting to sound like my own personal biography, this isn't my intention but just wanted to share with you progress and problems re: Staff retention:

Progress: We have all embarked on the KITEMARK our local quality assurance team, all Records of transfer are done and show what a successfull year we have had in terms of meeting ( and sometimes exceeding) all the childrens care and educational needs.

I am continuing with the process of becoming a Foster Carer ( passed the medical xD ) and had a few interviews.

I had decided to keep the preschool open, promote the deputy to manager and work from home office just supporting the admin side of the preschool.

My dilema now is that today I received yet another resignation :( , She's been with me for 2 yrs, in which time she qualified at level 3. She has been offered ( not applied for- head hunted) a job with the local Sure Start unit as a parent advisor.( more money than I could afford and hours to suit her daughters needs who starts school in January). It is a job she will be really good at and the families who will be supported by her will really benefit.

So the tally now, just during the summer term, I have lost 3 staff, who all trained and aquired their qualifications whilst employed by me. This leaves just my deputy (qualified) one member of staff who has not completed level 2 ( lack of support from college - English as a second language) and another member of staff who is studying basic skills ( learning disability).

All the remaining staff have been a part of a good team which has been stable for 2 yrs ( only been open for 4 yrs).

I will have to employ qualified staff but How long will they stay???? How long will my current staff stay???? It is such a nightmare :o

Peggy