Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Degree

katehart

Hi, i started the course in january, so finish my first year in a couple of weeks. To be honest i can't wait to have some free time again. This course has took all my time up over the last year, research, assignments, presentations ..... lol. I am studying part time and work long hours as a childminder for the rest of the week, so struggle to fit everything in. How about you? I am looking forward to a nice break to lanzarote to celebrate actually getting through the first year. Thats if i ever finish off these last two assignments lol.

What a lovely thought katehart!

Well I am now in my second year so family life has adapted quite well. In fact hubby is currently washing up in order to allow me to search the web for advice on critical writing and synthesising theory and practice (oooops!)

I'm feeling just about ready to tackle the essays we were given this time last year but, heigh ho.

Having spent the whole of this afternoon discussing possible structures for this terms assignments hasn't given me much hope for a relaxed Christmas this year, but it will be soooooo worth it on graduation day.

Are you doing a FD, katehart? How are you getting on?

Any first years want to have a bit of an offload? You should have a good idea of what you have taken on now.

Edited by Upsy Daisy

Drowning - currently have research project on go, 1 written assignment not written and started new module today.

On the good side - whole family has underwear to wear this week - as I've done the ironing :o oh and hubby brought a new iron yesterday, he obviously feels he might have to use it.

Anyone have good tips on staying awake longer - I'm on cola and chocolate.... (this is my worse spell of the year - but christmas will be in february at this rate)

Hi, i started the course in january, so finish my first year in a couple of weeks. To be honest i can't wait to have some free time again. This course has took all my time up over the last year, research, assignments, presentations ..... lol. I am studying part time and work long hours as a childminder for the rest of the week, so struggle to fit everything in. How about you? I am looking forward to a nice break to lanzarote to celebrate actually getting through the first year. Thats if i ever finish off these last two assignments lol.

Oh! poor you, but gald to hear you are nearly there.

I don't actually start to next year 2010. So over this coming year I am reading, more reading and trying to watch this site very closely for support. I am also attending collage this year to practice essay writing. I am looking forward to starting, but I still have a while to wait.

Edited by katehart

On the good side - whole family has underwear to wear this week - as I've done the ironing :o oh and hubby brought a new iron yesterday, he obviously feels he might have to use it.

This made me smile!!!

Anyone have good tips on staying awake longer - I'm on cola and chocolate.... (this is my worse spell of the year - but christmas will be in february at this rate)

I Like this!!! did you say Chocolate

I can sympathise with Tess. This is the first time I have been able to peek in here for a while. Am in final year of FD (whoopee) have a research project on the go and have just finished the literature review - wow was that hard going or what! Today have degunged some of my house now that I can remember where I left it :o

Have another four assignments to go - two I want to finish by Xmas (horrendous last year - 1 x 5000 words before Xmas and 1 x 5000 words after Xmas so spent boxing day doing a statement review - ho ho ho xD ) and two for Feb half term. Research project in for June then it's sort of a break. Am going to enrol on BA Hons top up with EYPS (because I am really really sad) to start October 2010.

When finished have promised myself a huge holiday in somewhere like the Maldives (only if loose lots of weight though!!!) too much chocolate for comfort food me thinks!

hi again :o ,Enjoy your free time now while you can :( , only joking, it's really not that bad. you will also have the bonus of already knowing how to construct essays (which i didn't lol).It feels great once you get your work back, makes it all worth while xD . I will be happy to help (if i can) once you start the degree. Good luck with your course.

hi again :o ,Enjoy your free time now while you can :( , only joking, it's really not that bad. you will also have the bonus of already knowing how to construct essays (which i didn't lol).It feels great once you get your work back, makes it all worth while xD . I will be happy to help (if i can) once you start the degree. Good luck with your course.

Thank you really appreciate this. I know most of you secretly enjoy sending your husbands/partners off to do the washing up, tea making or ironing. I need to start practising this. Any advice????

Edited by katehart

I am also at the start of my second year of the degree.

Its been tough but I have actually "enjoyed" it and I do think its giving me an insight I never had before.

However............ I wake up most mornings thinking shall I do this, where did I read/ hear it, shall I write down that..... it takes over waking and sleeping moments!!

We are at the point apparently where many people drop out, and I can see why. The work load right now seems immense!

We were two groups in Sep 2008. I suppose about 44 folks.

We are now one group with about 20 people!!

Good luck to everyone out there...... I am sure it will be worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

I started mine in sept, i am the playleader at our setting and work evenings and every other weekend. I've had loads of holiday to take from my evening work so i've kept up to date with my study work. However this week has been a full week with no breaks and tonight i have a presentation at uni. I have struggled this week but deligated work in the session yesterday to give me two hours for my prep. This worked well but im not sure that i'll be able to do this often enough to keep on top of things. Good news though my husband has started work this week, been doing part time hours for a year which means he was at home loads and would moan as soon as i started to do my work so now i can fly around the house like a thing gone mad then sit down and plod through my studies untill he comes home. I'm really hoping this will work out as i'm loving the studies just i've not enough hours in my day!!! Don't get me wrong my hubby is great but we all have to divide our time in so many ways!

Hi there!

I'm doing FD with OU - should be finished by the end of May and have enjoyed it enormously!

Yes, there are those stress-filled moments when you're behind, with assignments to finish tomorrow; it's Parent's Evening next week and reports aren't done; CAF/SEN meetings and reports to type up; anxious/cross/irritated parents to see - (get the picture?). It all sorts itself out and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. The fresh perspectives I now have with a greater depth of understanding are invaluable. And I've made some great new friends :o

Family does make things awkward at times and it really can be a bit of a balancing act, but hang on in there xD They can also be a great source of support and morale-boosting as you flag along the way. :(

Think of Graduation Day!!

Best of luck when you finally start and rest assured, there are loads of us who will be rooting for you and everyone else studying

Sue

Wooow!! Good luck to everyone.

I work full time as a Family Support Outreach Worker for a Surestart children centre and also have 2 boys aged 5 next week and a 3 year old.

I know I am lucky, because the little one goes to a fantastic nursery and the oldest goes to the school that leads in from the nursery.

Although I really can't wait to start this course and it is something I have wanted to do for a very long time. It just wasn't the right time to start when they were babies, but I do from time to time have a feeling of over whelming waves of guilt, about the thought of me doing this . But because i have this oppportunity to, I don't want to miss it. This is the reason I love this site because, everyone is in the same boat and support each other through the difficult times.

Sorry about the long reply

Edited by katehart

Now the new academic term is well on it's way, just wondering how everyone is coping with their Early years foundation degree studies. How are you managing with family life, work and study?

Hi

I've just handed in my 1st Assignment(thank goodness) I don't know how I did it as i moved house had to live with the in- laws for 2 wks with no computer and no the house is a shell. I have to say i thought i was going to give up but hey ho hubbie took hold (eventually after i had a tantrum) and i managed to do it. Now on next module and already finished 1st work based task. So not going to get caught out this time. I wonder if i will keep this up as it is very difficault as i own and manage my own setting 7am - 3pm and have a 6 yr and 20 yr boys oh and the big kid of all the husband!!!!XXX

Hi

I've just handed in my 1st Assignment(thank goodness) I don't know how I did it as i moved house had to life with the in- laws for 2 wks with no computer and no the house is a shell. I have to say i thought i was going to give up but hey ho hubbie took hold (eventually after i had a tantrum) and i managed to do it. Now on next module and already finished 1st work based task. So not going to get caught out this time. I wonder if i will keep this up as it is very difficault as i own and manage my own setting 7am - 3pm and have a 6 yr and 20 yr boys oh and the big kid of all the husband!!!!XXX

I'm not very good at using the quote button sorry!

I glad to hear you managed to hand in your assignment. It's a shame the course started when your life was so busy at that time. If you managed to hand in your assignment this time (just about) hopefully life will start to be a little smoother and you may find doing the essay a little easier next time. (Or not)

Edited by katehart

I am almost finished my first unit. I'm studying with the OU. I feel really guilty as the tea dishes are not washed and my youngest has just asked if his rugby kit which he wore today (and believe me it was filthy when he arrived home tonight) will be washed and dried by tomorrow as he is playing again. I am now trying to finish my assignment while I wait for the washing machine to finish!!!

Good luck everyone,

mrsW.x

Having the odd tantrum is a skill which comes in very useful doing this course.

In fact I believe it is essential and should be included in the first module.

..and by the time you get to the dissertation, your family will be fully accustomed to rubbish dinners, unironed clothes and major shouts when 15 year old boys can't manage to put the rubbish out!!!

Sam

..and by the time you get to the dissertation, your family will be fully accustomed to rubbish dinners, unironed clothes and major shouts when 15 year old boys can't manage to put the rubbish out!!!

Sam

I will carefully monitor my progress towards this learning outcome. On reflection I believe I am making good progress but need to further develop my skills in the area of rubbish dinners :o

I will carefully monitor my progress towards this learning outcome. On reflection I believe I am making good progress but need to further develop my skills in the area of rubbish dinners :o

I consider it an important part of my CPD - continued parental disintegration..... xD

I've just had a look round my house (I've been glued to my computer for the last two weeks !) and its a bomb site ! :o

Dirt and mud everywhere, as we are having a separate garage/ office built !

Everyone is complaining as they want clean clothes, cooked meals and use of the computer ! Of course no-one knows how to put the washing machine on or cook in my house !

I've just managed my to do my first two assignments, found it a real struggle. Not sure if I have the ability to do this foundation degree !

Its take me an enormous amount of time to research topics and finding it very difficult to access journals online.

I can now log on to my university's site and its sooo complicated I can't find anything ! I'm doing my course at my local college so not going into the Uni so can't take books/journals out.

I know there must be an easier way to find references /acquire information isn't there ?

Motherclangerx

Everyone is complaining as they want clean clothes, cooked meals and use of the computer ! Of course no-one knows how to put the washing machine on or cook in my house !

I've just managed my to do my first two assignments, found it a real struggle. Not sure if I have the ability to do this foundation degree !

Its take me an enormous amount of time to research topics and finding it very difficult to access journals online.

I can now log on to my university's site and its sooo complicated I can't find anything ! I'm doing my course at my local college so not going into the Uni so can't take books/journals out.

I know there must be an easier way to find references /acquire information isn't there ?

Motherclangerx

The family will learn soon that they need to find out how the washing machine works and they'll start cooking too.

I am quite sure that you do have the ability to do the FD. Wait for your feedback - you might be pleasantly surprised.

I found it really hard to access journals online through the uni website and I kept asking and asking for someone to help. A couple of weeks ago our tutor went through accessing ebooks and journals through the college website. I don't know if it was because I kept asking but it has really helped.

Don't forget your local county libraries too.

I sometimes use Google books, Google scholar and Amazon look inside.

I find the staff in our college libarary/study centre are really helpful too. Go and explain your problem and see if they come up with any ideas.

One more suggestion - just don't look at the mess. It's much easier that way x

Just wanted to add before you know it it will all be done...I cannot believe I have done it....seems like only yesterday I was feeling like you peeps......by the way I think you can sometimes feel like everything is not being done ...reality is I have finished my degree thrown myself into my manager job and spent my time doing stuff for work....I think we all have such a passion for what we do that in order to stay up to date we will keep studying....I went to the local shop about an hour ago to buy some beer, promised myself no work tonight or this weekend.....reality is that I bought the TES to read...been on here and revamped one policy so far tonight......there is always something to keep us away from the household chores...we have too use emotional intelligence to think ourselves into believing it's fine to do what we do....we all love our family and our job....actually we are all lucky to be so driven and have focus.....well done us!

Edited by Guest

Too right Shirel!

I feel lucky to have a job in and be studying a field in which I am passionately interested. It means that I don't mind the late nights and helps me be motivated to get on with assignments. It also means that I am feeling able to make improvements to my practice every day which is a great bonus.

I would not have got this far through a degree course I didn't have a passion for, that's for sure.

:o im in my second year annd there is a lot of changes after having the summer off its bin hard to get back in to it. i have just completed my KU1 and in need of quotes which will be done on tuesday.

i find it really hard starting off and then ending i seem to go over my words although i cant get started with my CIS2.

ITS 14;12 and im not even dressed sat in my room researching. starting to think xmas will have to wait till i finish college term as i have too much on

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)