Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wow Cards

What a great idea - can i just ask - in the settings where 'wow' cards are used - how was this introduced to parents??

I posted my original note to parents in the thread above with the wow slips

I'm loving this, such a good idea to get parents more involved! I have a spare display board too - I will talk this through with my staff tomorrow at my room meeting, although I have talked to some of the girls already and they seem to think its good! thanks for this :)

• 1 month later...
I posted my original note to parents in the thread above with the wow slips

hi. very interested in your idea. have downloaded your wow thing for parents but cant read any words. seems like lots of tgny black crosses. can read coloured words though. what do you write to parents? xxx

Hi

I just want to say a big thankyou to everybody who gave ideas for this thread. I work in a creche and have adapted the idea to use in the creche. I have children who attend regular sessions they have a learing journal to record their acheviments but the children who attend occasionly dont have one. So we have created the Wow wall to capture their special acheviments when with us be it only for a short time. I have had a fab response from parents and the local early years rep. As we are only a creche Parents are amazed that we take the time to do learning journals and the Wow wall.

So thanks again everybody .

Blue

Cait I notice from your earlier replies that you use this in conjunction with a diary, I tried to introduce this in my setting last year and failed miserably. Can you explain what you do so I can try again armed with more info.

Thanks!!

Well we had the notebooks first, parents love them and contribute to them quite a lot. We make an effort to write in them a minimum of once a week and we stick pictures in too. Children often take part in what we write and choose a picture to be stuck in. Getting the parents 'on side' is the main thing. I've attached the label that we stick in the front, but we explain to parents when they start and show them one from a child's bag (quick flick for confidentiality).

We introduced the Wow! last year (after using the notebooks for about 10 years) as another tool for engaging parents. Most parents are really enthusiastic about it - I think there are only 2 parents who have never contributed - and we'll get 'em next year!! Because the wall is 'in their face' when they come in, and they get chance to read it all when they are waiting in the lobby at the end of the session, they contribute to it regularly.

If you need more info, just PM me and I'll tell you specifics

notebook_labels_portrait.doc

Thanks Cait that's brill. I will take it to work tomorrow as we are having a staff meeting and see if I can encourage them to give it a try. The note is really useful and I will be in touch if I need anymore help.

Thanks again!!

Guest pamgreen

We use them and also give them to parents to use. These then come back to nursery it's a brilliant way of parents contributing to their child' records.

We introduced the Wow! last year (after using the notebooks for about 10 years) as another tool for engaging parents.

Was really interested in your labels Cait - but why do you ask parents not to let their children draw in the book? We get lots of emergent writing in ours - children often want to have their say in their books too!

Maz

Was really interested in your labels Cait - but why do you ask parents not to let their children draw in the book? We get lots of emergent writing in ours - children often want to have their say in their books too!

Maz

They have their own little books that we put pictures in and they can do what they like with that. I think it's important that children learn that not everything is theirs to do with as they wish.

I was thinking of doing some kind of parents' repsonse to targets. (Partly to try and simplify the very complicated target system I have inherited and that the rest of the school does). Someone told me they send out 6 cards with targets on and ask parents to send them back with comments on. I like the wow much better... Do you think I could combine them? :o

I realise I've forgotten to have breakfast - perhaps that would help me think?

Haha - I have too, just had a cuppa and thought 'why's my tummy rumbling already?'

Yes I'm sure you could combine the two

are the six cards related to the six areas of learning?

Edited by Cait

I think it's important that children learn that not everything is theirs to do with as they wish.

Fair enough. I guess our philosophy is that the home/pre-school communication book is about them, and since our children's views about their day are being written about by the grown ups, it is only fair that they should be able to contribute to it either by 'writing' or drawing a picture of what they've done. We've noticed that children who rarely pick up a pencil to draw at nursery will do it at home in their book when mum or dad is writing in it - I especially loved the picture of me drawn by one of our little boys. I had no hair, for some reason!

Maz

it is only fair that they should be able to contribute to it either by 'writing' or drawing a picture of what they've done. We've noticed that children who rarely pick up a pencil to draw at nursery will do it at home in their book when mum or dad is writing in it

Maz

This is why we give them their own notebook, they can then write at the same time

This is why we give them their own notebook, they can then write at the same time

Ah! Two books to make for each child, and two books to look at. There aren't enough hours in my day as it is!

Maz

well not two books to make - they are just the consortium 6x4's and we only give children one who show an interest in having one - so last year there were 7 I think and this year - who knows!

• 4 months later...
So here they are anyway if they are of any use to anyone.

The wow wall one is the note we sent home to parents with a wow slip paperclipped to it, the others are paperclipped together and live in the children's trays

WoW! - bit delayed but thanks for these. I was just about to start a thread asking about opinions on parents suggestion boxes. A WOW box might be more productive and positive - could incorporate suggestions too. What do you think?

Have also recently stumbled across this thread when trying to find ways to promote parent involvement - really grateful to Cait for super WOW templates and have had a good response from parents.

I/m also keen to include a path for parent suggestions - unsure also whether WOW box could accomodate them...

We also use a wow wall in our reception class as a result of this forum (thanks for that) Last year we used a rocket display with stars for parents to record their special moments. It seems however that the wow wall is more successful. I think that visually it works as an incentive for both children & parents to send in wow's throughout the year.

I've already had to move our display onto a bigger wall & the kids are planning on filling it up by Christmas.

Thanks

Nicky

Thank you for WOW suggestions - I found these by accident when looking for inspiration for getting 'parent voice' for use as evidence for FSP. I an definitely going to introduce these in time for xmas holidays.

What a fantastic thread. I tried using a WOW envelope last year but the parents never used it and it eventually got ripped down, I love the idea of displaying it on the wall and we can use it for some good positive praise for our more 'challenging' children too.

Im making our WOW wall up for tomorrow

Thanks for your templaits Cait x

Just to let everyone know I gave out the vouchers and parent notice for our WOW wall yesterday and made up the wall in the middle of the room. Already we have had a fantastic response with around 4 coming in from parents, and staff using them too.

I am encouraging parents to come into the room to help their pin the WOW vouchers on - out of interest how do you encourage / remind parents to take another voucher with them for their next one - I dont think many did and I dont want it to be a one hit wonder?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)