Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Easter And Early Years

JJA

A recent conversation with a Christian friend has provoked me to ask this question...

Aside from all the 'easy' activities for children under 5 for Easter (you know, concentrating on eggs and chocolate!!) just how do you cover the Christian story of Easter with young children???

I just feel that, very often, my setting covers religious festivals from Islam, Judaism etc with sensitivity and respect, yet very often covers Christian festivals in a superficial way - even Christmas to some degree.

What do you all think? And how do you do it?

Oops! Just posted this on the wrong board - I'll try again!!

I was wondering how everyone approaches 'Easter' with young children. It's easy to get caught up in the 'niceties' like egg hunts, easter bonnets, chocolate etc. But what about the Christian story behind the holiday? How do you deal with this with such young children? It's just that a Christian friend of mine mentioned that she sometimes feels that Christian festivals are treated with less respect than some other festivals.

What do you do??

I think she has a very valid point and of course it is the "niceties" that get picked up and carried on especially by those of other faiths as they do not want their children to miss out. Presumably if we lived in another faith country we would celebrate their "niceties" too but it is possible to explain to the children the significance of these traditions. Although quite where the Easter bunny came from I'm not sure?

You could do the 'niceties' but explain the reasoning behind them. Easter as a sign of new life/beginnings link to new life in spring (is this where the Easter bunny comes in?!). Hot cross buns - the cross reflecting the cross of Jesus. Easter eggs as a symbol of the stone that was rolled away from the tomb. Sure there are lots of other links. Could also make an Easter garden.

Harricroft

You could do the 'niceties' but explain the reasoning behind them. Easter as a sign of new life/beginnings link to new life in spring (is this where the Easter bunny comes in?!). Hot cross buns - the cross reflecting the cross of Jesus. Easter eggs as a symbol of the stone that was rolled away from the tomb. Sure there are lots of other links. Could also make an Easter garden.

Harricroft

I am ashamed to say I never knew the eggs were a symbol of the stone :oxD

Hi - never knew that about the eggs either. We are spending two days as a whole school coverong Easter - doing all the nice things on the Friday.

On Thirsday I am going to be telling the story of Easter, and then getting the children to sequence it. I will also be making hot cross buns with the children, and telling them about the sginificance of the cross on the bun. Now I know about the eggs - that too will get a mention. I do have one child in my class of another faith, and I have already informed his parents of my plans, I have also offered to do another activity with him, instead of sequencing - and wouldn't expect him to make a hot cross bun, as he does not attend Christian based assemblies.

Hope this helps

Emily-Jane

I told our 3 and 4 year olds the story of Easter and they understood it quite well. They asked questions about why people wanted to hurt Jesus and then went on to talk about why we must be kind to our friends and gave examples of how to be nice, which we thought was great. We will also be twalking about hot cross buns and easter eggs (new life) but not Easter bunnies!!

CEI

We've always done the Easter story in year R at our school. As others have said they seem to understand it. One child this asked if Jesus was alive now how old would he be and another commented by saying 'Jesus died for us didn't he?' I think both those comments/questions show their interest in the story.

Im so pleased that this has been discussed as its a subject Im going to tackle on Wednesday. I will talk about the christian faith and Jesus who all the children knew was born at Christmas because we did the nativity, about how he died on the cross and the significance of people going to church to remember. Then we will eat CHOCOLATE!!!! :o

Whoops - eggs are symbol of new life - rolling eggs symbolising rolling away of stone ... SORRY!!

Red face! Thanx lynned.

Hi FFL,

I teach in a Recetion Class in a Church of England School. We have a diverse range of cultures and ethnic children in school. Over the year I try and celebrate this diversity, even this year trying to include the customs of a Jehovah's Witness. I, like yourself, felt that we didn't spend enough time celebrating our own beliefs and Christian Festivals, so this year I am devoting most of this week (we are only in four days - INSET on Friday :o) to Easter. I have found a lovely website which gives the Easter Story as a powerpoint in simple words which is well suited to 4/5 year olds (www.Communication4All.co.uk). Each day we are concentrating on a different day of Holy Week. Thursday will be a day for looking at traditions and customs - Hot Cross Buns, Easter Egg Hunt etc.

Hope this is helpful.

Im a teacher in foundation (nursery/reception). We had a special Easter assembly where the story was explained - some of the children thought that the rock moved because of MAGIC! But generally listened well to the story and could retell afterwards. We then had circle time where we talked about why easter eggs? Children had been bringing them in for the easter raffle so worked well.

I was wondering whether anyone had any ideas about doing an Easter egg hunt with the children in their class. I am doing the religious part of Easter as well, but just wanted to finish off the week with something enjoyable. Anyone any ideas? Any clues etc?

Yes - we're doing one tomorrow! I've got cardboard eggs with string on them to hide around. Children given a red sticker and they go and find a red egg etc. They bring it back and get their chocolate one

This is a section from my planning last week when I re-told the Easter story using props.I told the story in 2 parts.

Input- Give each child a paper leaf to hide behind their back

Remind the children about the stories we have had since September about special people to different members of our class family-Guru Nanak, Rama and Sita, St David and St Patrick and how some stories had special festivals we celebrated-Eid party, Holi, Diwali

Question the children about the special story we had at Christmas about the birth of a baby called Jesus and what they can remember.

Explain about Easter being more important for Christians in our class family which is very strange because it’s about that baby who grew up into a special man dying.

Talk about how people long ago when Jesus was alive who were frightened of Roman soldiers who were in charge of them. March around circle shouting. Ask children how they feel-angry, upset, frightened and to show it on their faces.

Pass whispers around the circle 'Jesus is a kind man' 'Jesus will help us' 'Jesus is coming'. Appear excited that Jesus is coming when the whisper get back around to me.

Explain about Jesus entering Jerusalem riding on a donkey and the people being excited, shouting Hosanna and putting palm leaves in front of him.

Make the playmo man and donkey move around the circle as the children take it in turns to shout hosanna and place the leaf in front of them.

Count out 12 playmobil men to be Jesus' friends and on the playmobil table place a jug and loaf of bread them to share for supper.How Jesus told them he would not be with them soon but they should always share bread and wine to remember him by.

KUW-40-60mths-Communities-gain an awareness of the cultures and beliefs of others

We made an easter garden in an old sand tray.

Crosses from wood kindling sticks (bags in Morrisons) using string.

A loaf from the cut and play sandwich set, chopping board, wooden knife, plastic cups, jug for supper role play

Eggs from salt dough decorated when dry and hung on painted twigs

Made yellow and blue cornflour which we marbled in the tuff spot and it became green :oxD

this week I'm looking at traditions and we will be rolling eggs between brick bridges, making cards and I have a selection of eggs to hide in a big pile of feathers which I'm really looking forward to. They have also discovered the book Little Rabbit Foo Foo :(

Thank you every one for your interesting replies. It has really given me something to think about. I may approach the local church and 'pass the buck' asking them to tell the story their way? whadya think?

I may approach the local church and 'pass the buck' asking them to tell the story their way? whadya think?

I think its a good idea if you find it difficult for any reason to ask someone who is comfortable with the story to tell it. I worked with a member of staff who had real difficulty telling the story because of her own beliefs so we used to swop classes for a story time so I could tell it to her class. She trusted I could handle it with sensitivity for the children of other faiths. I can see asking someone from a local church to tell it looks appealing but you would need to check if they could tell it at the childrens level. Have you asked other members of your team if they feel they could take this on?

this morning we had our infant Easter breakfast - all the children bring in an eggcup and spring flowers to decorate the table, we remember what Christians think about at Easter and say a prayer - then we all tuck in to egg and bread and hot cross buns! We have a lovely time and the hall looks great with tables all laid out in a cross shape and lots of daffodils etc. A group of children then go to a local elderly residential home with the flowers and give them to the people there, who love seeing them.

A problem I've had with the Easter story is with Easter being so soon after christmas, it needs to be made really explicit that Jesus was grown up when he died and was resurrected - he wasn't a baby any more! Oh, and then the morbid discussion of everyone (pets included!) anyone has ever known who has died and how exactly.... This takes us into reading Goodbye Mog in a subsequent session!

this morning we had our infant Easter breakfast - all the children bring in an eggcup and spring flowers to decorate the table, we remember what Christians think about at Easter and say a prayer - then we all tuck in to egg and bread and hot cross buns!

What a lovely idea!! I've stored it away in the brain cells for next year. Tomorrow we are having our 'Hot cross bun shop' The children bring a penny in a purse to 'buy' a bun from my 'shop'. I shall be dressed as the baker with my till and giving receipts and wrapping buns in little paper bags. We've done it for many years and we love it :o

I can see asking someone from a local church to tell it looks appealing but you would need to check if they could tell it at the childrens level.

I had a lady Vicar assure me she could tell the Christmas story at 2 - 4 year old level, and really wanted to do it, so I told her she was welcome, but unfortunately she went on and on and used words like 'registration to be taxed' and terminology which was way over their heads. Children were bored stiff and she didn't realise it!

The next day I thought I'd have a go and see how much they remembered and one boy said 'not the shed stuff again!' obviously the only thing he remembered!

I had a lady Vicar assure me she could tell the Christmas story at 2 - 4 year old level, and really wanted to do it, so I told her she was welcome, but unfortunately she went on and on and used words like 'registration to be taxed' and terminology which was way over their heads. Children were bored stiff and she didn't realise it!

The next day I thought I'd have a go and see how much they remembered and one boy said 'not the shed stuff again!' obviously the only thing he remembered!

Oh Cait - I'm laughing out loud - 'shed stuff' - that's brilliant.

These things to need to be handled sensitively - when my eldest son was in reception he came home one day and announced "I hate God" - now obviously I reminded him straight away that "we don't use the word 'hate' in our house" and then went on to find out that they had been told the story of Noah's Ark - well bless him, he was so upset about the people and animals who hadn't been saved.

He's thirty-seven now and still a sensitive soul!

Sunnyday

What a lovely idea!! I've stored it away in the brain cells for next year. Tomorrow we are having our 'Hot cross bun shop' The children bring a penny in a purse to 'buy' a bun from my 'shop'. I shall be dressed as the baker with my till and giving receipts and wrapping buns in little paper bags. We've done it for many years and we love it :o

I'm going to try and remember that one for next year, too! What a great idea. I love fsf for stuff like this - such brilliant ideas!

Guest MaryEMac

Yesterday we had our end of term assembly in church. Prior to this the vicar came in to tell the children a story using 2 of his teddies, old bear and little bear. I had said that I was unsure of how to deal with the easter story and he said that it was his job to worry about it not mine.

Little bear worried that Old bear was old and might not always be there and OB said that even if he died he would still be watching over LB. The vicar said that when people die they live in God's garden and God looks after them. It was very simplistic but it was pitched at a level that the children could understand. he did mention Jesus and death but not in any way to upset the children. We then sang 'Jesus love is very wonderful' which the children had learned. After the prayers we sang Easter bunny has a fly upon his nose, Chick, chick, chicken, and sleeping bunnies. It was a lovely service and there were lots of parents, grandparents there.

The only problem we had was when we realised that we had made fluffy tails for the easter bunny out of card and cotton wool and as the children wriggled about the cotton wool was sticking to the beautiful rich red carpet. We offered to sweep up but were told not to worry. As I left the church it was to the sight of the vicar hoovering the carpet. :o. He is a lovely vicar and the children really like him.

Mary

Oh Mary, how lovely.

We have a chaplin who comes to visit each week to tell the children a story, so naturally it has been the Easter story, but more about him coming back to life again.

Naturally this resulted in questions about why their pets weren't able to come alive, but he explained Jesus was a very special person.

Prior to that I had read them the story from a lovely book of mine, telling the story through the eyes of the donkey.

Always makes feel me quite emotional at the end,

jackie

Prior to that I had read them the story from a lovely book of mine, telling the story through the eyes of the donkey.

Always makes feel me quite emotional at the end,

jackie

What is the title of the book? - it sounds lovely.

Mary - your old bear and little bear assembly sounds really perfect. Maybe your vicar should think about hiring out his services??!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)