Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Exemplar Sefs

I did the training Sue - at the time I thought it was helpful - but after reading the posts on here that said 'keep it simple', 'use bullet points' etc. etc. - I now think our tutors may be over complicating things - we were told to add an explanation for every point made - their example was that everytime you make a factual statement that should be followed by what impact that has on the children - is it any wonder I haven't started mine (not really that's just an excuse!).

Do let us know what you think of the training.

Sunnyday

Edited by sunnyday

Thanks for sharing your SEF forms everyone. I am a registered childminder, these completed or part completed SEF forms will give me the confidence that I need to guide me though. Once I have mine started I too, will be happy to post - if only to help other confused childminders like me.

Have taken inspiration from your document-- Must have taken you forever!!! Well done :o Did a day course earlier this year which recommends you to sit with E.Y.F.S in one hand and the guidance sheet in the other but I havent worked out how to type with my toes yet!

Must get on as I've only just started my own- Thanks may finish by Sept---2010oops!

Have taken inspiration from your document-- Must have taken you forever!!! Well done :o Did a day course earlier this year which recommends you to sit with E.Y.F.S in one hand and the guidance sheet in the other but I havent worked out how to type with my toes yet!

Must get on as I've only just started my own- Thanks may finish by Sept---2010oops!

Hey - that soon!!!!!

Sunnyday

Gosh I really love this forum. There I was feeling completley demoralised about our half completed SEF, thinking that everyone and his dog had completed theirs!!! I then come on here and not only learn that I am really not alone but that some kind people have been generous and brave enough to share their SEFs. Many thanks and as soon as mine is complete will also post it also. Trouble is everything else like ironing, decorating, cleaning, sorting out loft seems so much more appealing than getting my head down and getting on with the damn thing!!!

Gosh I really love this forum. There I was feeling completley demoralised about our half completed SEF, thinking that everyone and his dog had completed theirs!!! I then come on here and not only learn that I am really not alone but that some kind people have been generous and brave enough to share their SEFs. Many thanks and as soon as mine is complete will also post it also. Trouble is everything else like ironing, decorating, cleaning, sorting out loft seems so much more appealing than getting my head down and getting on with the damn thing!!!

Oh yes - I can identify with this!

Mind you it's amazing what I have got done whilst avoiding my SEF!

Welcome to the forum zigzag and happy avoiding!

Sunnyday

Oh yes - I can identify with this!

Mind you it's amazing what I have got done whilst avoiding my SEF!

Welcome to the forum zigzag and happy avoiding!

Sunnyday

So did you do the windows? I made bread

So did you do the windows? I made bread

No window cleaning - but.........

I have completely re-written, my 'Prospectus' for September - these will be sent out with place offers - which I have almost finished -woohoo!

The things I will do just to avoid that SEF!!!

Homemade bread - how lovely!

Sunnyday

Well I've cleared my ironing pile - 33 shirts!! Done some weeding, made bread rolls, stripped the bed.....

Ah - Cait we are truly leading parallel lives!!! We have a few days left or we could be the founder members of the 'Summer SEF Gang'!!!

Sunnyday

well, I'm up for the summer SEF club!!!!

...........or would that be the summer- cleaning windows, ironing, gardening, ,,,,,,,,anything accept SEF club????

I did pick up the folder today though!

xxx

Step away from the folder!!!

Sunnyday

Hi,

Just to say thanks so much to those of you sharing your SEFs. I'd been putting mine off because I and my staff spent so many hours drafting and adding to our paper SEF from the old Foundation Stage, that I didn't have the heart to start over again until prompted by your efforts. I have now done the first two sections and don't know what I was worrying about!

Hi,

Just to say thanks so much to those of you sharing your SEFs. I'd been putting mine off because I and my staff spent so many hours drafting and adding to our paper SEF from the old Foundation Stage, that I didn't have the heart to start over again until prompted by your efforts. I have now done the first two sections and don't know what I was worrying about!

Great news! I hope you feel able to share too once you've done

Hiya ladies, thank you so much this is such an interesting thread.

I'm not in charge of completing the SEF but I have made notes for my Manager (I'm the Deputy) which I'll post below:

I) How well do you promote inclusive practice?

• Observations of the children’s development allow experiences to be tailored to provide appropriate challenge for all children

• Creative work by all children is displayed and celebrated.

• We ensure that all children are able to access the technology, observing any difficulties they may have and making adaptations in response.

• We feel it is important to include resources which reflect a variety of cultures, for example stories set around the world or dual language books. Class books showing photographs of the children playing help them to develop a sense of belonging.

• We tell stories using props, masks and story sacks and support the children to do so, enabling children with different learning styles.

• We display key vocabulary in languages spoken by the children in the setting. We include examples of writing in different languages, including those spoken by children in the setting.

• Musical Activities include examples of music and musical instruments from a range of cultures for the children to choose from. (Carla to collect more CD’s) Parents are invited to share examples of music that their child enjoys at home.

• Practitioners support the children to talk about their preferences for different types of music and show respect for each other’s preferences. (Music in the setting overall is area for improvement) Listening Station please

• Role play areas include resources and scenarios which reflect a variety of cultures.

• Photographs of the children playing in the role play area help them to develop a sense of belonging. (in development Carla to action)

• We work in partnership with physiotherapists and occupational therapists to provide time and opportunities for children with physical disabilities or motor impairments to develop their skills.

• We create opportunities that help children to become aware of, explore and question issues of differences in gender, ethnicity, language, religion and culture, and of special educational needs and disability issues. (Needs improvement)

• We model language conventions associated with different situations and respond sensitively to social conventions used at home.

• We provide supplementary experiences and information for children with sensory impairment. (Makaton/PECS needs improvement)

• We work in partnership with bilingual workers, speech therapists and practitioners where appropriate.

• We provide positive images in, for example, books and displays that challenge children's thinking and help them to embrace differences in gender, ethnicity, religion, special educational needs and disabilities (e.g. Handa’s Surprise, Children around the world, My world your world, Topsy and Tim, I want to be a cowgirl, Celebrating Festivals - Christmas, Holi, Kwanza, Hanukkah, Eid, Ramadan) (a review of books would be beneficial)

• We plan opportunities for all children to become aware of languages and writing systems other than English and communication systems such as signing and Braille. (needs improvement)

• We know where to access help to provide support for children who are learning English as an additional language to develop and understand mathematical language. (The English Language Support Team, Evelyn Street Community Primary School , Evelyn Street, Warrington, WA5 1BD

Tel / Fax: 01925 411 886) ???

• We provide support to achieve the successful personal, social and emotional development of vulnerable children and those with particular behavioural or communication difficulties.(Keyperson – EYFS Advisory Consultant etc.)

:o Helping children to stay safe

• The outdoor area is subject to regular risk assessments.

• Children are taught to use equipment and resources safely.

• We carry out regular risk assessments to ensure that construction equipment is safe. We talk to the children about ways of using the construction equipment safely e.g. how high is too high to build the tower?

• Adults model how one handed tools such as scissors and knives can be used effectively and safely through play with malleable materials. ICT equipment is set up safely, with no dangling wires or uncovered sockets.

• The children are involved in creating rules for the safe use of equipment in the sand and water area. (Carla to plan, implement discussion then display rules in this area) Practitioners ensure that the area is kept safe by regular checks e.g. sweeping split sand and mopping water up.

• The Library area includes books about everyday events, which can be discussed to help the children understand who they can trust and how to stay safe. Books are freely accessible to allow the children to make decisions about their use.

• We are aware that engaging in musical activities can enhance children’s feelings of competence, confidence and strength.

• Practitioners play a vital role in building the children’s confidence to take manageable risks in their play in the Outdoor area.

• The role play area gives the children opportunities to rehearse real-life situations, giving them greater confidence to tackle situations that may arise in the future.

• Children can make choices about what they would like to have for snack. Practitioners support the children to access the area as needed. Practitioners maintain the hygiene of the food and equipment in the Snack bararea and support the children’s hygiene.

c) helping children to be healthy

• Children wash their hands before snack/lunch and after going to the toilet or being involved in messy activities. They understand that we can’t see germs but they can be spread and are encouraged in using and disposing of tissues and covering their mouth when coughing.

• Healthy eating is given a high profile in the preschool. As part of our everyday routine, children are eating fruit and drinking water.

• Eating is promoted as an enjoyable activity, as well as one that contributes to good health. We are very proud of our snack bar, it is open for most of the session and children know they can eat “when their tummies are hungry”. We feel that our role is to develop children’s ability to make informed food choices. The eating habits of individuals and families is acknowledged and respected. Parents are asked for information about their child’s dietary requirements and any food preferences and this information is made known to all staff.

• Our aim is to promote an understanding of a balance diet in which some foods play a greater role than others. We realise that it can be difficult to persuade children to eat healthily, so we give lots of praise to children who choose to eat fruit and vegetables at the snack bar and stickers to those who bring and eat them at our Lunch Club.

• The staff have decided that it is important for the children to be able to:

• name a range of different foods

• understand that like foods can be grouped, for example, as fruit or vegetables

• appreciate that foods in the same group have different characteristics such as tastes

• express their likes and dislikes

• begin to understand that different foods come in a variety of different forms.

• We recognise that our Snack bar provides a wealth of learning opportunities, for example counting fruit, problem solving, engaging in conversation, improving fine motor skills and developing independence.

• The children can develop their physical skills by moving to music. There are opportunities to engage with music both indoors and outdoors.

• After physical exertion we discuss the effects on the body why physical exercise is important.

• We provide resources that can be used in an open ended way as well as equipment to support the development of specific skills.

• We promote health awareness by talking to the children about eating, exercise, sleep and hygiene and supporting them to care for themselves during the session.

• We plan for the development of independence skills, particularly for children who are highly dependent upon adult support for personal care.

• We support the children to learn about looking after themselves in different weathers by providing free flow access to the outdoor area.

• In hot weather, additional provision is made for the children to access drinking water in a seated, shady area outside.

• We offer role play opportunities both indoors and outdoors. We support the children to interact with each other.

• Visits from the local health service help to teach the children about health and hygiene. (Carla to invite local educational Health officer/doctor (parent))

Hi Thanks so much for sharing, i too am in the completing it over easter group!! Still struggling and its last day of holiday!! Hope to have soimething to share soon x x x

Confession time! - Last day of Easter Hols. and haven't so much as looked at SEF (in my defence I have completed loads and loads of other pre-school work).

So that's me a founder member (as predicted) of the 'Summer SEF Brigade' - anyone joining me?!

Sunnyday

Hi dishy and congratulations on making your first post. I think Sunnyday and I will be the founder members of the 'Do it in the Summer' group, or maybe a sub-group called 'Do a couple of sections at half term'

Confession time! - Last day of Easter Hols. and haven't so much as looked at SEF (in my defence I have completed loads and loads of other pre-school work).

So that's me a founder member (as predicted) of the 'Summer SEF Brigade' - anyone joining me?!

Sunnyday

HAHAHAHA - if I'd not just gone to get the bread out then I'd have raced you to that! :(:o:(xD

Can I join you both cos I've done nothing on it all holiday! I need to get it done though cause it is giving me nightmares :o Perhaps we should challenge each other to do it first and that might help - well not for me because I'm not very competitive!

I began my SEF over the easter hols too didn't realise there was a club. Thanks to all your imput on here, I realise now i am not alone. I will share mine when i've got enough worth sharing! Cheers for all the tips. I like the idea of photos for childrens views.

Here's mine so far - I've not done bullet points, but I could do them if people think it would look better

Many thanks to so many generously spirited people for sharing their SEFs. I have been struggling with ours since Easter break, still only up to page 15. Whilst I have been saying the same as most others on the forum, I don't think I've explained myself nearly as clearly sometimes and so will have to revisit all that I have done so far!! Once I am feeling more confident I will definitely post it on the forum. In the meantime thanks again.

Patti ANDERSPM

:o Thanks to everyone on here who have cheered me up and to no end when I discovered that I was not alone in completing the sef form. I have started it but it is so hard to find the time to finish it as there is so much you have to write about. No doubt I will be on here in the summer hols with a still unfinished form but hey ho will think of something to tell Ofsted if they come before it is finished!

Hi jackie87 and a very warm welcome to the forum.

Would you like to join The 'Summer SEF Brigade' - just do a forum search under that title and you will find it!

A special place for people who either 'haven't got round to it' or like me are SEF avoiders - you won't believe how much I can get done just so that I have an excuse not to start it!!!

Sunnyday

Edited by sunnyday

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)