Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help ---ofsted

Those are just the first 7 of 14 standards that daycarers have to meet Mousebat. I'm not sure that they are the same as the 7 principles that Peggy's inspector was asking for. I don't know what they are either!

Linda

Could this be them?? The illusive 7 principles?

The principles behind the standards

The standards are based on a set of principles. The principles themselves are not standards but reflect the recognised rights that people enjoy as citizens. These principles are the result of all the contributions made by the NCSC, its working groups and everyone else who responded to the consultations on the standards as they were being written. They recognise that services must be accessible and suitable for everyone who needs them, including people from ethnic minority communities and children with disabilities. They reflect the strong agreement that your and your child's experience of receiving services is very important and should be positive.

The main principles are dignity, privacy, choice, safety, realising potential and equality and diversity. As a user of the service, you have a right to:

Dignity

be treated with dignity and respect at all times; and

enjoy a full range of social relationships.

Privacy

have your privacy and property respected; and

be free from unnecessary intrusion.

Choice

make informed choices, while recognising the rights of other people to do the same; and

know about the range of choices.

Safety

feel safe and secure in all aspects of life, including health and wellbeing;

enjoy safety but not be over-protected; and

be free from exploitation and abuse.

Realising potential

achieve all you can;

make full use of the resources that are available to you; and

make the most of your life.

Equality and diversity

live an independent life, rich in purpose, meaning and personal fulfilment;

be valued for your ethnic background, language, culture and faith;

be treated equally and to be cared for in an environment which is free from bullying, harassment and discrimination; and

be able to complain effectively without fear of victimisation.

found it here http://www.scotland.gov.uk/consultations/e...ion/csca-00.asp

you bet yah :o

Mind you I only counted six principles - but does the last one count as 2???

who knows and do I really care at this point of the evening????

I think you'll find Mousebat that they are the standards for Scotland which are different to the ones in England!! Keeping searching-I'm sure they must be somewhere if an OFSTED inspector says they exist!!!

Linda

I know they're are Scottish but never the less they sounded good :o

At least I'm trying to be helpful.... Having some blurb on the Scottish principles is better than none and I'm sure the English ones can't be too different( said in a jocular manner so no one takes offence). I'm like a dog with a bone on this one!!!!

(I do read the webpages before I send them) (again said in a jocular tone)

I keep a stash of avatars in my files (which have all been found) and they're not difficult to change.

I've been accused of being too grumpy so I thought I'd oblige......... :DxD

Plus I get bored very easily....

ps hali - Congratualtions on unoffically passing your accreditation :o

Thanks mousebat for all your research, I like the scottish principles you found but don't think they are the ones she was referring to.

Someone did suggest to me that she may have meant 7 principles relating to social services standards ( the inspector was X-social services inspector).

On hindsight, I think that what really annoyed me :o is how I personally handled the whole inspection experience. I could have challenged many of their comments but lost all confidence to do so ( plus my mind seemed to go totaly blank).

The question especially didn't make sense because she had read my preschool aims ( all parents have read) which includes the principles from the united nations convention and if I had thought about it I would have said that surely the 7 principles she was referring to would most probably have been informed or influenced by these. They are as follows;

Our aims are to provide a loving, safe and secure child friendly environment, which offers an appropriate Early Years curriculum as defined by the “Birth to Three” guidance and the “Foundation Stage “of the National Curriculum. The promotion of these aims are supported by qualified and experienced staff who also actively promote the following principles :-

1.The rights of Parents and others responsible for the child to provide appropriate guidance consistent with the childs evolving capacities must be respected.

2.Children have a right to express their own views.

3.Children have a right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, through speech, print, in the form of art or through any other media of the childs choice.

4.Children have a right to access of information from the media and other sources, through childrens books with regard to the linguistic needs of the child.

5.Parents or guardians have primary responsibility for bringing up their children. The state must give them appropriate assistance and ensure the development of facilities and services for the care of children. The children of working parents have the right to benefit from child care services. (We will claim government funding through education and Tax credits)

6.To promote the development of the individual childs personality, talents, and mental and physical abilities to their fullest potential.

7.To enable the preparation of the child for responsible life in a free society, in the spirit of understanding, peace, tolerance, equality and friendship among all people.

8.To promote the development of respect for the childs parents, his or her own cultural identity, language and values, for the national values of the country in which the child is living, the country from which he or she may originate, and for civilisations different from his or her own.

9.Children of minorities shall not be denied the right to enjoy his or her culture, to profess and practise his or her own religion, and to use his or her own language.

10.Children have the right to rest and leisure, to engage in play and recreational activities appropriate to the age of the child, and to participate in a cultural and artistic life.

11.Children must be protected from all forms of sexual exploitation and abuse.

12.All children have rights irrespective of race, colour, sex, language, religion, disability or any other status, and must be protected against all forms of discrimination.

Newell,P.(1991) The United Nations Convention and Children’s rights in the UK. (National Childrens Bureau)

THE PRE-SCHOOL POLICIES WILL REFLECT THESE PRINCIPLES

Policies will thread throughout all areas of our service to ensure our aims and principles are met. EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES WILL BE PROVIDED WITHIN EVERY SINGLE ASPECT OF OUR SERVICE “all children have rights and should receive respect, regard and celebration of their race, culture, sex, language, religion, social status, disability and ability. Children and their families have a right to an inclusive provision, which offers and provides for an equal service for everyone.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)