Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Puppets

Puppet came out today, played with small dinosaurs, wrote the title on some drawings, and held a bucket being filled with sand... child who would normally be horrible totally ignored it! Cant rely on children can you?? :o:D

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did it. I folowed your usually wonderful advice. Yvette was bought out of the cupboard today, a little girl pulled her hair, so Yvette pulled her pigtails (gently) Yvette was then chased around the hall being walloped with a fairy wand. Thank you Mrs R. :oxD:(

• 5 months later...

On teachers.tv, if you type in early years to the search engine, there is a programme called "Using puppets", you can watch it online, for fifteen minutes.

• 1 year later...

Good grief! Children! :o

As you may know I left my setting with the puppets and now travel around on supply. I found the puppets at my current nursery yesterday and decided they could help with singing. How many times did I have to say things such as...

'Its not nice to put your fingers in someones mouth'

I dont think she likes it when you pull her hair'

'Did she really need a smack?'

'I think she looks sad'

No she really doesnt want to be eaten by the bear'

Please stop. Now' xD

I've just unearthed Sweep from under my bed, hopefully he will engage the childrens interest and allow the games to commence. :D

I've re-read this post and read through some books I've got (a particulary good one is 'Foundations of Literacy' Sue Palmer and Ros Bayley) It's not based purely on puppets but there are some good ideas on their use which can be adapted for other reasons than literacy.

Some of the things I'm going to give a try are ...

Wake up puppet - In this activity you need to explain that the puppet has fallen asleep and can only be woken when they label an object by it's initial sound. Show them the object and get them to whisper the sound , gradually getting louder until the puppet wakes up. I might adapt this so it only wakes up for any coloured object is bought over or they clap their names.

Whats this for? - Be ready with a collection of toys and objects. Explain that the puppet is going to spend the day in the nursery but that he doesnt understand what all the toys are for and how they are used. Model what you would like the children to do and then allow them to choose an object to tell the puppet about. 'This is a .... we use it for.... etc'. This one is going to reinforce some sharing rules!!

Telling stories - Use the puppet as the central character but base the stories around things relevant to the children or based on them as in trips to the dentist, going on the bus, playing on the bikes. Or based on a simple plot. Plots can include getting lost or losing something, getting into trouble, making choices, accidents, journeys, being surprised. Make it memorable so the children can repeat it. Providing props can help them tell the story to each other. In nursery a child has just had a name change due to mom and dad splitting up. Sweep is going to have papers ect with names he used to have and names he'd like.

Hope this is useful. I cant wait. :D

Good luck with it Rea

Whenever we use the puppets inour setting half the children are really engrossed the other half look at me as if am a complete loon who has just escaped the asylum!

Have you come across the Folkmanis Puppets - like the one with three little mice hidden in a box and a chick hidden in an egg? I found them on Ebay, they're great fun when you wnat to catch the children's attention with something and keep them in suspense!

We had Scruffy Dog from Puppets by Post, he was great and really good quality. He went home with a different child each weekend, together with a suitcase of his belongings...food and water dish, blanket with pawprints on, collar and lead, squeaky toy, etc. - the children absolutely loved it when it was their turn and the parents jotted a few lines down in Scruffy's Diary to let us know what he'd been up to!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)