Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

National Strategies - Early Years

Hi. Anyone else got a copy of the new National Strategies - Early Years stand material for the Inclusion Development Programme? Its a 4 year programme the first year of which focuses on 'Supporting Schildren with Speech, Language & Communication Needs'. We went on the introductory briefing yesterday and were given the 1st pack.

Well, the first booklet was printed completely wrong, half the pages missing, lots of duplicated ones.....

Eventually we found some complete booklets and overall the programme seems quite good although, as usual, it preaches to the converted! Then, at the end we were told that only 1 in 4 of the accompanying dvd's work properly. I've just tried mine and surprise! it doesn't work, only got sound...

Considering this is a national role-out I'm not impressed with the quality of the materials and resources.

Anyone else had this problem?

Unfortunately I forgot to go to the briefing meeting before summer break, which is when we were given packs - although going to first training session on two weeks..... Is the pack a nationawide one or just addapted by LAs?, I hope I get a complete one.

xxx

I got the publication and disk from teachernet. Didn't know it was being introduced via the LAs, but having siad that ours probably won't invite us to anything about it!

well i'm a pre-school had info sent from LA, not tried to order it for myself.

So they just don't like me then! :o Am going to a network meeting sometime soon - will ask about it there!

Happymaz - tried to order one from teacher - wouldn't let me!!

I've only had the 'info' through from the LA not the pack yet, thought I'd try and get copy before training- as I like to have time to read through and digest before attending, so I can ask questions on the day.

xxxxx

Well I must be the lucky one! Had my briefing in July, the pack is complete and the dvd works and my next focus meeting (Lost for Words) is on Wednesday. I'm in Essex by the way.

Wow: I'd make sure to buy a lottery ticket for tonight if I were you: obviously your luck is in!

Maz

We are a pre-school too. Everyone including childminders were invited to the briefing. We were advised to ring and request a copy, or a replacement one. The details off the back are:

download from www.standards.dcsf.gov.uk

or ring 0845 60 222 60

quote 00215-2008BKT-EN

Audience: Early Years Practitioners, leaders and managers of Early Years Settings, headteachers and local authority advisory teams

Date of issue: 02-2008

Interestingly I found the whole interractive dvd contents here:

http://www.nationalstrategiescpd.org.uk/co...view.php?id=125

There's lots on this site once you have registered as a user. Worth a happy half hour seeing what's there.

Im a preschool and went on a briefing in July and have two courses booked already for it - in Essex . I did start a topic on this previously and a few people had heard of it. You can access the materials online. Looks pretty interesting

smiles

I did order it but I had to email teachernet to say they wouldn't let me order it first. Then they sent it out with no explanation as to why I was not allowed to in the first place. I struggle with lots of items as the teachernet site will not let me add the pre-school address as a delivery address using the URN - it doesn't recognise it at all!

So...... if its a National Strategy................. published in February................ specific booklet for Early Years................ with me so far......

HOW COME ITS SO HARD TO GET A COPY!! :oxD:( :( :( :wacko:

Well in my LA I would say its because they don't really want us involved! LA talks a good talk, but frequently don't think we need to know as a pre-school, because the schools are all doing that. I've been waiting for over 6 weeks for a reply to several emails I sent to LA asking for one copy of the new Profile so I could show my staff how an end of year report the LA insists we write feeds into the Profile at the end of the FS. I only want it to make things easier for my staff when they do what the LA wants, but I am not important enough to be able to order it myself! AAARGH!

Actually, you do need one. All early years settings are required to work up an action plan in the short term and then a full blown 'strategy' (new buzz word apparently) which Ofsted will ask for..........

Ah thank you for that. I will plough on then and add that to my evergrowing pile of action plans to assess for and draw up. At this rate Ofsted won't be able to get in the office for the Action Plans and Risk assessments I seem to be doing!

Actually, you do need one. All early years settings are required to work up an action plan in the short term and then a full blown 'strategy' (new buzz word apparently) which Ofsted will ask for..........

I went on the briefing for this today - it was very good, all PVI settings, schools and childminders were invited. It is a requirement that settings MUST allocate time to enable all practitioners to work through the materials in the pack, to identify what they are doing well and to plan and implement any changes to practice needed.

And yes, we were also told that Ofsted will be checking that this has been done......

I do like the look of the materials and they sit very well within the EYFS Framework.

Edited by Wolfie

So your booklet was printed in the right order, no pages missing and, miracle of miracles your dvd worked?! Do tell......

Well I have to be honest - the people delivering the training couldn't show us any clips from the DVD because they said they couldn't get the speakers to work...so I can't tell you whether it was the DVD or the equipment! :o

Don't you just love the way we are constantly told "settings must allocate time for practitioners to.....". We have a staff of five and even if they all felt able to be designated these tasks to work on independently, if we were all allocated the said time, we wouldn't have time to do our actual job of caring for the children. Or we would go bankrupt paying us to work evenings and weekends!

Hi,

Seems like Essex is the place to be, I too am in Essex and attended a briefing along with my SENCO just before the summer holidays. My Senco is booked on one of the courses. We have had our team meeting to cascade the information about linking the IDP into our setting and have completed our Audit.

Holly your post made me smile, but I do agree with you. :o

I think one of the bigest issues for myself and my team is 'time'. We have to keep within ratio but still have to ensure time is allocated for observing, assessing, reflecting on practice etc, etc, etc.

I do allocate time out when we have spare staff, and I also cover in the rooms to give staff time out. I was wondering how do other managers arrange time out?

Rosepetal

well now I must confess - seems I have had the document since May, I found it on the shelf today. The book appears complete although have not tried the disk yet. I missed the briefing session but doing part one of the training next week.

xxxx

A classic example of 'information overload' me thinks. :o

Peggy

• 3 weeks later...

I too am in Essex, have had the briefing and am attending session 1 : Introduction - Lost for Words tomorrow.

I'm hoping its not something else to add to the workload, although I must add it does seem to be suitable to my setting as we have a few children who are experiencing difficulties with their speech.

although I must add it does seem to be suitable to my setting as we have a few children who are experiencing difficulties with their speech.

I think that you should find it useful then! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)