Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chinese New Year

Hi

We do not have themes in general ( Observations ect)

We will be covering the chinese New year starting Feb

I have arranged to group together with another preschool in my area, ( linking up with other providers) to visit them and while there the children (and adults !)to try chinese food. We are ordering the full range of food the local Chinese take- away has to offer and they will deliver( taking into account allergies, likes /dislikes ect)and sharing the cost

Just been looking at Chinese writing

Any other ideas any one ?

Yes,

And I sometimes 'dress up' to tell the story of the animals and their race. Have a Takeaway in the role play area? Your local one may help with menus, containers and other bits and pieces - particularly if you've just given them a big order!!

Sue

We make dragon puppets, a drawn head and tail part are fixed on two sticks (chopsticks would be ideal, but a bit wasteful!), then fold a 'concertina' type body to fasten between the two parts. (sorry, can't for the life of me remember the proper name for the fold!! Age is showing!) The puppets can then be 'danced' around the room. You can also make a giant Dragon head, fix it to fabric and, by fastening hoops at intervals along the 'body', you can do your own Dragon dance around and outside your setting.

In my area there are big celebrations amongst the Chinese community, to which everyone is invited and are usually free. They are colourful and exuberant affairs, ending in spectacular firework displays which it's well worth the freezing conditions that usually prevail. There's lots of traditional chinese music and instruments, and the singing of chinese songs by local Chinese children. They are well worth going to - maybe you could organise a trip if you can find one near you - or go yourself and take lots of pictures. We have some fantastic pictures my husband took a few years ago - printed out A4 size and laminated, they are a fantastic resource.

Marion and Rea have already suggested other things we do.

See, I managed to remember!!

Sue

Made a dragon using hoops, tarpaulin ( sploshed with lots of flourescent colourful paint) and a pole and cardboard dragons head.

Boys especially enjoyed using feathers to do Chinese writing.

Peggy

post-3604-1199027782_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1199027847_thumb.jpg

Oooh Peggy I've been feeling quite despondent about the new term, what with life and stuff...

I'm beginning to feel a bit more excited now - what fantastic ideas for Chinese New Year and can't wait to have a go at the tarpaulin dragon! I hope my left and right hand women have seen this...

Maz

You coulkd also incorporate watching the Chils Eye Media DVD which covers chinese New Year , our children watched it and then gave own ideas of what they wnated to do from it and we just made sure we had enough resources to enable this at short notice!

Festivals DVD

Inge

Oooh Peggy I've been feeling quite despondent about the new term, what with life and stuff...

I'm beginning to feel a bit more excited now - what fantastic ideas for Chinese New Year and can't wait to have a go at the tarpaulin dragon! I hope my left and right hand women have seen this...

Maz

Glad to motivate :o All credit to my daughter though who made this with the children on one of my days off. xD

Peggy

I recommend the Julia Donaldson (Gruffalo) book The Magic Paintbrush for reading aloud.We usually make

banners of chinese numbers 1-5 using black paint

make spring rolls,

prawn crackers

Red envelopes with gold crayons

fans

lanterns

wooden animal templates in mark making....and loads more :o

Small world is usually the new year animals on green fabric with a length of blue for the river.

We usually make fortune cookies.I have a list of forfeits the children select one and wrap it in silver foil, dip it in oil (so it doesn't stick) and then sandwich it between 2 circular cookies and cook.At circle time we all select a biscuit to break open then do the forfeit like clap '5 times'.I'll look through my files and see if I can link any

Edited by Guest

Love the home-made fortune cookies, biccy!

I use the bero shrewsbury biscuit recipe

I've had a trawl through.These are my own work so feel free to use for your own setting.Some are scans of my original drawings posted in a word document so bits are clipped

Poster for this year-My re-working of 'My Ship Sailed From China' plus images and flash cards for each verse or a display-Number examples for the banners (remember to paint vertical)-Masks of the new year animals for role play which I usually do outdoors-A word document of lables I made for a display last year which had examples and photo's-images for creating puppets either on lollipop sticks.I usually set up a lamp so we can make shadows on the walls

I've had a trawl through.These are my own work so feel free to use for your own setting.Some are scans of my original drawings posted in a word document so bits are clipped

Thanks for all those documents Biccy. They are fantasic. How does the tune go for the song?

:oxD:(:(

You're asking me for a tune

:( :wacko: xD :rolleyes:

my workmates would be rolling on the floor laughing.maybe some one more musical could help??

Some great ideas thanks..we made chinese fans last year but plan to make envelopes....need to get out and see if there are any gold choc coins left. Love the idea of using chop sticks to pick up beads, seeing the pumpkin and hammering golf tees went down a storm with the children I can see this one working too!!! Now where can I buy chopsticks???

Thanks Inge

I ordered and have received my Festivals DVD today

Its looks to be a very good resource for Chinese new year, Divali, Eid-ul-Fitr and Hannukah

can't add much to this as everyone has so many good ideas, i bet the displays and the childrens faces in february are amazing

just a couple of things

we often go on espresso if anyone has this they have video clips that can be shown to the children

also we put the sand tray in our restaurant and fill with rice and have lots of sieves out to play with chinese bowls etc we too do the chopsticks and in previously years i have been to a chinese restaurant and they have given them to me other times they have sold them for a pound

one last thing we do is we go to a chinese name site and find out what our name is there are plenty of sites that translate the english name as best they can and give like a little profile on the name the children love these

we also have a go at willow pattern painting sometimes paper plates and sometimes on cheap white plates depending on size of class

using blue ink or ceramic paint the children love using the fine paint brushes always amazes me how delicate they can paint

p.s. happy new year everyone

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)