Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

War/weapon/super Hero Play

Just had a quick chat with hubby ( ex Army Officer with 2 children), He says that his children learnt that guns are used for 'protection', the guard at the barracks entrance to the soldiers on active duty.

Farmers use guns for different reasons, they are a 'tool', a part of life, and unfortunately death, but a reality and I don't think the childrens 'exploration' of this tool should be dismissed or ignored or admonished.

Why not talk to children, ask them where they have witnessed, learnt about guns, what bought their attention to 'gun play'?

Observe the play and see what scenario's they are actually working out, could it be a simple trajectory schema? Is it about hiearchy within the group, power play, as previously mentioned. Is it good over evil? Heroes compared to villains? ( promoting the concept of opposites). Is there exploration about life and death? May sound a bit profound but depends on the childs life experience, sense of identity and self etc etc.

Peggy

Hi Saw this and thought of you. It came through on an unsolicited email, one wonders where they get our email addresses from. So I cannot vouch for it's content but thought the subject matter would be of interest to you as the material presumably is a new or current publication.

Deb

Forming Ethical Identities in Early Childhood Play

Brian Edmiston

Through compelling examples, Brian Edmiston presents the case for why and how adults should play with young children to create with them a 'workshop for life'. In a chapter on 'mythic play,' Edmiston confronts adult discomfort over children's play with pretend weapons, as he encourages adults both to support children's desires to experience in imagination the limits of life and death, and to travel with children on their transformational journeys into unknown territory. This book provides researchers and students with a sound theoretical framework for re-conceptualising significant aspects of pretend play in early childhood. Its many practical illustrations make this a compelling and provocative read for any student taking courses in Early Childhood Studies.

£21.99

Thanks Deb, I will have a look, I need up to date literature so I am sure it will help. Thanks for thinking of me. This forum is great :o

wow what an interacting read!! At our setting we too struggle to find a balance. Some children enjoy coming in all dressed up, yet others are scared of what they see. Some parents have come in concerned that there child is re enacting power rangers etc scenes and they do not wish their child to play fight. Yet some children take the gun fighting thing too far and hurt other children by running around inside and becoming too rough. How do we find a balance without suppressing children's interests?!? :o

wow what an interacting read!! At our setting we too struggle to find a balance. Some children enjoy coming in all dressed up, yet others are scared of what they see. Some parents have come in concerned that there child is re enacting power rangers etc scenes and they do not wish their child to play fight. Yet some children take the gun fighting thing too far and hurt other children by running around inside and becoming too rough. How do we find a balance without suppressing children's interests?!? :o

I'd just say like any activity, rules and boundaries of acceptable play. ie: when painting we don't pain each other, other games we take turns, when it's story time we listen & don't interupt, when gun play we consider others who don't want to play, we reassure others it is just pretend, in my setting children are allowed to run in certain areas of the hall but not in other areas. etc etc.

Also adult intervention is not so much about suppressing play but to enhance, focus and develop whatever play the child is choosing. Role model appropriatte gun play yourselves rather than ban it altogether.

Peggy

Am going to explore 'other ways of being' with our children tomorrow as part of my FD assignment on inclusion and following their interests from an observation last week.

Am going to offer a selection of capes so that boys and girls can be what they want to be, whether that be princesses or superheros (their interests). So want some examples of superheroes to get them thinking about who they could be. I have superman, batman, catwoman, the Incredibles (Mum & Dad, Violet, Dash and Jack-Jack). Can anybody suggest others relevant to the children, especially female superheroes. I'm going to be superman! My aim is to show girls they can be adventurous and daring and boys can be sensitive and caring!

I followed the link somebody kindly posted on the new booklet 'Confident, capable and creative: supporting boys's achievements' linked to boys' underachievement in the Foundation stage. In it was a study from Islington regarding super hero/weapon play which you might find useful in your studies.

http://www.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/primary/c...slington_cs.pdf

Thanks Deb - have printed it off for our Deputy Supervuisors. Should provoke some lively discussion - and the picture on the front is just fab!

Maz

Hi Peggy I'm with you on what you are saying but I by no means what to ban play I merely want to be able to enhance it but find a balance between all children. How would you model gun play and fighting??

In the past I have acted out the play 'shooting' another member of staff ( the baddy), I do a mean dive, roll, lay on tummy and aim and shoot, movement sequence as smooth as the next superhero. The other staff member falls to the floor grabbing her leg ( or any part of the body) as her gun slides along the floor, we both go to grab it, she gets to it first and then shoots me, I fall to the floor and lay very still. My 'partner' then hobbles over to me, checks my pulse and says, she's dead. Then a child is encouraged to 'save me' with their super powers, they have to wave their cloak over me chanting super power chants. I rise slowly and thank the super hero for saving me. The other member of staff is then given a bandage for her leg, and banished in a 'flash' of power ( pointing arms) to the other end of the universe, she 'fly's' off to the kitchen ( never to be seen again, until she's made me a cuppa :o )

In other words, we are role modeling a beginning, middle and end. A sequence of events that tells a story, not just running around shooting and making gunshot sounds.

Go on, give it a go, it's called Drama xD:( . Use different objects to represent power tools, this wooden spoon when circled in the air 3 times over your had will make you invisible, do this to another adult and then she goes around asking all the children "Can you see me, Can you see me" some will say no and join in the pretence.

Just have fun with it and let your imaginations be free of constraint and see where the story goes, the children will join in. Then encourage children to make up their own power play, maybe talk the sequence through first, what power weapons do they need etc.

Peggy

Thanks Peggy just good to get someone else's perspective. We do role play as adults when trying to get a point across and have done a similar thing (perhaps need to brush up on our drop, roll and diving skills!! :o ) However I really like the superhero ending and will defiantly try this. Thanks again, I have found that letting your selves go for it actually inspires other staff members to let go and have more fun with the children. xD

I followed the link somebody kindly posted on the new booklet 'Confident, capable and creative: supporting boys's achievements' linked to boys' underachievement in the Foundation stage. In it was a study from Islington regarding super hero/weapon play which you might find useful in your studies.

http://www.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/primary/c...slington_cs.pdf

Deb

Thank you, this looks fantastic. I will have to read it properly once I have put my proposal together, deadling looming!!!

• 1 month later...

I was about to spit feathers when my hubby just said he'd heard on the news that we were to ban gun/superhero play! But he'd misheard, the Government are actually saying we should allow it. This is a link to the BBC news site BBC :o

Thanks for that Rea, my only comment is that the article is focused on gun play as a 'boys' activity whereas in my experience girls love to play at super heroes too. My own 5 yr old daughter if often 'Lava girl' :o

Peggy

I, too have read the Islington study, finding it interesting and informative. (Pointed out to me by our EY Link teacher - bless her!)

I have allowed this play for a long while, endeavouring to put a positive spin on it, being aware of how much the children engage with superhero play in particular. Also in a spirit of inclusion, in that some of our children have had brothers or even fathers in the forces - it would be awful if they felt we disapproved of something so central to their family life!

The Islington study gives lots of food for thought - do read it, if you haven't already

Sue

In my preschool we had a mixture of both, child created and commercially bought. I must say my preference was for the child created ones because they invariably were the right size for the child. Bought guns/swords etc tend to be a little on the large size for our 2-4 yr olds. Light sabers being the exception because I haven't learnt how to make them yet!! :o

As others have previously said, if there is no obvious or quick means of obtaining or making a weapon then children will use fingers/arms etc.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)