Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pumpkins

Just thought I would remind everyone about the idea on Teachers Tv a while ago about hammering golf tees into a pumpkin.....

now is the time to try it...

Large Pumpkins were only 1.20 in our Asda today and golf tees (if you dont have them) 48p.

we are giving it a go this week....not that the staff know yet only remembered it when i saw the Pumpkins!!! :D

Inge

I just found the programme about pumpkins (sorry mundia!)

It can be found at www.teacherstv.org.uk

Type in 'early years' into search and 4 boxes come up. One of them is 'The Outdoor Environment' and it's there!

They showed children using hammers to put golf tees into pumpkins. I can get hold of the pumpkins and golf tees, but haven't got any small hammers. These were more like rubber mallets. Will be on a mission now to find some, 'cos it did look like fun! :D:D:D

I saw that idea too and felt inspired. I have the same problem no mallets. Plastic hammers work from our construction area?

40577[/snapback]

Good old Asda! No doubt each store up and down the land will now be bereft of pumpkins and golf tees before the week's out!

Perhaps this could be the basis of an experiment - which hammer is best at hitting golf tees into pumpkins? The children could weigh each one, decide what it is made of, and guess which would be easiest to use, and most effective in getting the tees to stick in the pumpkin. Afterwards they could work out whether their guesses were correct, and if there were any surprises, think about what it happened.

Lots of opportunities there! I think I should get up early on a Sunday more often...

Maz

I've already tried this - with an old marrow! It worked really well with a wooden mallet and I think plastic tools from construction toys would be ok too. I took a real metal hammer too which was used with adult direction. The children were fab and really enjoyed experiencing all different hammers. Why not add tap-a-shape hammers too to extend the idea to include problem solving? We found the marrow lasted for a few days even though I had to cut off the bottom to make it a bit more stable. That also produced a lot of interest - what's all that inside, look at the seeds, ooh I can see the end of my peg I hammered in, its gone right through. Why not dry the seeds and use them to plant next year?

Best bit was I washed off the tees, returned them to my husband's golf bag within the week and he never missed them......... little does he know!!

But, why?

40650[/snapback]

Well firstly, its fun!

Great for improving hand-eye co-ordination and developing hand and wrist strength.

We did it to today at pre-school: tees of various shapes, sizes and colours. Some wooden, some plastic. We used a rubber mallet, one of my craft hammers (both quite heavy, and both 'real' tools) plus all our plastic toy hammers.

The children found it tricky to judge how much force to use (and you have to supervise closely to prevent them hitting each other with their hammers) but all the children were able to hit the tees in successfully. Several children asked when we could do woodwork!

Great fun: it was nice to see so many children congregated around the table together.

Maz

we did this today and the children all managed very well, some stayed there for most of the session taking turns and waiting while other had thier turn.

different hammers and tees with different results, many did not realise how much force was acutally needed....we found the best hammer were rubber mallets used for camping to put in tent pegs.

coordinating one hand to hold the tee and another to hammer at the same time took a lot of concentration....

staff were very dubious and asked as mimi did why....by the end they realised the amount of leanring in such a fun task

The table was in use all day and keeping them from hitting each other with the hammer, accidentally I may add, was the only input needed. after a while once they realised the safety of keeping a distance from the person with a hammer we were able to leave them and supervise from a distance......

tomorrow they will repeat the game and the following day use the pumpkin by now well punctured as a pegboard...... then see what is inside.......

Inge

• 3 years later...

ok, As Maz has mentioned it in another thread, thought I would revive this so you all know what we are talking about...

I cannot believe it was that long ago we started this...

Oh and remember to throw the pumpkins away and not leave them in the cupboard over half term week.... you will return to one very hairy pulpy mass.... my staff did this 3 years in a row.... up to them this year....

Inge

Done this every year....the children love it and it keeps them engaged for ages :o I have yet to purchase my pumpkin....oh and by the way we use real hammers ! xD

Just use a pumpkin and some golf T's. Provide a hammer and let them hammer them in. It's a wonderful activity for fine motor skills, and lots of fun just to enjoy.

We also provide some pliers so they can take them out again!

Maz

sorry forgot to check the initial link still worked... but others have explained idea..

as to golf tees.. got mine in asda.. large pack for only 50 p

and we use tent peg hammers.. they are really big and heavy but very effective... my poor son had to go and buy a new one when he couldn't find his... oops..

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)