Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Heating

Can you tell me if you let staff just put heating up to whatever they want and damn the expense or do you set it......incident where staff member said it was cold and the heating had gone off, I checked and said its because it's reached set temp (22 degrees) and it would cut back in, some children actually taking jumpers off, I was later told after a lot of whispering that I was 'picking' on them by not letting them turn heating up higher, not sure what's reasonable temp as we were previously in a village hall where heating was included in rent, now in own prem so managing the budget is now more of a responsibility and realising just how much we got away with when renting.

As it's the staff who were cold, I bring you the HSE Minimum temperature in the workplace

We have air conditioning which blows from the ceiling in a central point & it's taken us a while to work out the pattern of dissipation round the room (apart from the obvious just underneath), so they could be sitting in a cold spot. & i chose the word sitting as if one's active, one is less cold than if sitting still...

Id be baking and wilting at 22; has to be 20 for me to be comfy. Its always a tricky one, some like it hot, some (me!) like it cooler and prefer to open windows. My argument is always that I cant take any more off (!!!), but they can put more on.

I agree with all the comments however as someone who never takes their jumper off until it hits 70 (in old money)....if someone had been outside in the cold temps we've had of late for a lengthy period of time...it IS possible that they WERE cold and couldnt feel the heat inside. I spent most of my afternoon outside yesterday and although very well wrapped up my core temp had obviously dropped and I spent the rest of the day feeling cold and didnt get myself warm until after I'd got home and had a really hot bath. Yet in the summer when others are moaning about how hot it is...I am at my best! So it is possible that what is comfortable for most may not be comfiorable for all. I handle it by going to work with vest, uniform, jumper over my uniform (do you allow this?) then jacket/fleece....and thats just inside!

Edited by enuffsenuf

Always a difficult this one as peoples own personal thermostats vary sooooo much!

It might be a good idea to see what they are wearing to start with....if they are layered up with tshirt, sweatshirt and fleece and still cold or sitting in a tshirt and saying they are cold. As Mundia says they can always put extra layers on.

I get chilly so I often wear a thin thermal layer like the sort you can get in ski shops or in my case the shop at the golf club....we golfers like to be warm but not too bulked up so we can move.

Best of luck....the cost of heating is just getting sooo expensive.

I would agree to getting a separate thermometer - thermostats often have quite a large range between where they switch off and when they switch on again, so the temperature may have been dropping well below that 22C mark without it switching back on.

However, I would also suggest that they layer up. I'm the sort of person who feels the cold, but tend to wear long sleeved T-Shirts, plus fleece whilst others are wandering around in short sleeves! Providing the room is a comfortable temperature, its up to the individuals to so what they need to keep warm.

There's nothing like a bit of physical activity to warm you up.

If the staff are feeling cold perhaps an impromptu dance session or a bit of parachute play could help.

It really is more effective than turning up the heating. The children are moving around more which is why they are feeling warm.

I have to say I never get cold when caring for toddlers and pre-schoolers because I don't get the chance to sit still.

thank you for all the replies, we do have a separate thermometer which is as far from heating units as poss, and still registering above 20, feels like an oven when you go into play room from areas not so hot or in from outside, or opposite when you move to diff areas everywhere else feels like a fridge even though it isn,t really....we had a visitor in today and the first thing they said was 'wow' its hot in here :S