Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Newly Registered, 1st Parent Visit Next Week. Help!

Hi everyone,

I have my 1st ever visit from a parent next week and just wondered if you could help me come to a decision with the following.

* My working hours are 8am - 6pm. If the parent wants to pick the child up after 6pm would you suggest charging extra??

* I'm not going to be providing food only healthy snacks and drinks. If the parent wants me to give the child tea, should i request they bring there own food and possibly warm it up???

* What do must of you charge for late pickup fee's?

Think that's all for now lol :o

Thanks

Surely if your working hours are 8 - 6 that's it, and they pick up at or before 6?

If a child is going to be with you from 8 - 6 they are going to need more than a snack, so they'll need to bring their own if you aren't making it for them. I'm concerned though that if you have, say, two children bringing their own food, you could potentially be warming up two meals whilst trying to cook your own meal - that's a lot of washing up!

I note this is for a childminder and wonder what you will do if you have children all day or more than 3 hours and they are there over a meal time?

could cause issues having your family have different to the minded children,and as an example 2 minded children with different meals to serve as well - I too am concerned about reheating food others have prepared.. you have no idea how it was cooked, stored, cooled correctly not left on the side overnight to grow lots of lovely bugs in it.. ... then ensuring it is reheated to a temperature to ensure anything in there has been killed.. one of the reasons we never did this at pre-school when parents asked. and I would not expect a child to go all day without something warm to eat , but this will depend on the age.

as to hours.. that will be your choice... but if they want late collection I would charger well over the odds for the extra time.. especially if it is regular.. for the occasional you may decide it is ok though , and charge less..

Edited by Inge

Depends how much you want the business. Unless my own children have clubs I would keep the child and the business (if they're nice, that is). I give a substantial tea at 4 or 4.30 and then the children can have supper at home if they need it. One of the main benefits of a Childminder over Nursery or After School Clubs, is that hours can be more flexible. If you turn away business (that otherwise suits you) on account of half an hour later, there's no reason to choose you.

I came to Childminding from a service based industry and we were taught, 'Never say No!'. When people ask for later times I tell them about what I have to do at that time - 'I have to get mine to piano lesson at that time, but I could take yours with me and maybe you could pick up a bit later, or I could drop off at home'. Give solutions, it's good business practice.

Get the business! There's a recession on. Go get it!!

Honey.

I charge double time for hours before 8 and after 6 because I would rather not work those hours and therefore wish to discourage parents from using them.

I would charge a higher rate for hours outside the contract time because otherwise you'll get parents who are habitually late, therefore ending up with a period of each day that you need to be available but they only pay for if they use it. Make it clear that you are only reliably available for the contracted hours but you will of course be reasonable in unforeseen circumstances.

I only provide fruit and drinks. Children bring packed lunch. If they are there over an evening mealtime I charge £5.00 for a portion of our meal (again a high price because I don't really want to do it) or the parents are welcome to provide food for me to cook. I am willing to reheat food because I think that as long as I store it safely and reheat it thoroughly the risk of the child getting food poisoning and me being blamed for it is negligible.

It is far easier to start off a relationship being firm, clear and businesslike and then choosing to be reasonable and flexible once the boundaries have been established. If you appear to be very easy-going now you risk parents feeling they can walk all over you and when it's in your own home and involving children it can be very hard to risk conflict later on.

Well, 8-6 is a long day, but some parents may be working those hours themselves, so might need childcare for even longer. You should only take on what you are comfortable with - no point wearing yourself out. It really depends on how it impacts with yor own family. I had a child who was collected at 7.30 2 nights a week, but could deal with this because my husband was home from 5pm. this was an after school contract.

I always provided meals that I had cooked. This is because meal times as a family are very important to us (I got lovely comments in my Ofsted too) and because it was easier and more inclusive for me to cook one thing for everybody to eat. It cuts out children sulking because someone has got something better, and exposes them to new dishes that they wouldn't perhaps have eaten. As a parent, I wouldn't use a childminder who didn't provide meals, as I feel my children would miss out, and because it would be an extra hassle for me. However, if you do not wish to provide meals, then you can sell it as that way the parent always knows that the child will eat their meal - because even spag bol is differnt at different people's houses.

All sounds like pretty good advice. I agree you should charge extra if they need care after 6. How late you would like to keep the child is up to you and your families needs. In my area the charge would probably be £5/6 per hour after 6. A child who is at any setting will need a more substantial meal, and if it doesn't fit in with your meal times then I would suggest the parent brings the food and you reheat it. As long as you store it properly and reheat it thoroughly it will be fine.

Just make sure you start as you mean to go on!

Good luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)