Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Not Using Ofsted Sef!

Hi all,

we have just made the decision to not use Ofsted's SEF format as we don't feel it is effective in our setting as a working document that all staff can have input into. We have completed most of the Ofsted SEF but it is mainly falling on the shoulders of one person which happens to be me!!!!!

we are going to revert back to our original way of evaluating our practice but was wondering if anyone else also does not use Ofsteds SEF format and if anyone would kindly share any forms that they use in their setting and are effective in documenting your Self Evaluation.

Many Thanks to anyone that could help!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

we have just made the decision to not use Ofsted's SEF format as we don't feel it is effective in our setting as a working document that all staff can have input into. We have completed most of the Ofsted SEF but it is mainly falling on the shoulders of one person which happens to be me!!!!!

we are going to revert back to our original way of evaluating our practice but was wondering if anyone else also does not use Ofsteds SEF format and if anyone would kindly share any forms that they use in their setting and are effective in documenting your Self Evaluation.

Many Thanks to anyone that could help!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It hadn't occurred that we could use another format - I hate their too, but I can also forsee that it would be mandatory to use that one, if it isn't alsready mandatory. In our area we'd have to argue against the County as they would expect us to use this format in order to receive funding.

The Ofsted format certainly needs some serious shaking up - especially after the amount of time spent trying to collate everyone's thoughts and write it all up.

Best of luck, do please keep us informed

Spiral.

Our old format was to use our Operational File and look at how well we felt we were doing in each of the areas, and what issues we could improve on and write an action plan for those things. Would that type of thing be workable?

Our old format was to use our Operational File and look at how well we felt we were doing in each of the areas, and what issues we could improve on and write an action plan for those things. Would that type of thing be workable?

Isn't it funny how we all end up looking back at what actually worked?

A lot of what we did before the EYFS came into place did work, we're tweaking and updating, but the principles are there!

I think an operational plan works very well to show what we do and to replace most of a SEF.

Spiral.

The SEF isnt compulsory, but as in Spiral's LA, some insist on the SE for your funding, so jus check that there isnt that criteria attached.

You need to have some way of showing how you evaluate your practice and log future actions or developments, but if you have something in place that works better for you and is Ok in your LA, then go ahead.

Guest jenpercy
The SEF isnt compulsory, but as in Spiral's LA, some insist on the SE for your funding, so jus check that there isnt that criteria attached.

You need to have some way of showing how you evaluate your practice and log future actions or developments, but if you have something in place that works better for you and is Ok in your LA, then go ahead.

we completed an out of school SEF designed by our LA - but Inspecor when she came was quite dismissive "Yes I see you have made an attempt". I had to ask her if she'd seen it and she never referred to it at all.

I am finding the Ofsted SEF difficult to use to for the same reasons as stated above. I've started using various things/formats I've found on the internet but not come up with a proper plan as yet. I'd be really interested to hear what others find workable. Incidentally this is the first time we have had a real Operational Plan (as in a written down one) and we have successfully insisted to our LA that we can use a self evaluation format and not have to use the Ofsted one, as even Ofsted don't have it as a compulsory. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted!

i know i used our local LA one - Maz do you have it anywhere???????

I didn't know there was one hali! :o

Prior to my half-hearted attempt at the Ofsted SEF I used a format I designed in response to our ECERs audit to show what we were working on to improve our 'scores' in each area of the audit. I used a traffic light system to show which I was working on urgently, which were needed to be done fairly soon and which were long term aspirations.

Mrs Ofsted liked it and I found it much more relevant than the Ofsted SEF, I have to say.

Guest jenpercy
You could always use ECERS-R, ECERS-E or ITERS

as an alternative :o

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

searches round for garlic and crucifix

• Like 1

searches round for garlic and crucifix

What's wrong with ECERs, jenpercy?

As an auditor and an 'end user' I have found the scales very helpful in identifying areas of strength and weakness and a great prompt for self-evaluation.

Guest jenpercy
What's wrong with ECERs, jenpercy?

As an auditor and an 'end user' I have found the scales very helpful in identifying areas of strength and weakness and a great prompt for self-evaluation.

just that I'm allergic to acronyms and have never heard of it

Hi jenpercy, if you want to find out more about ECERS, ITERS and the rest, then have a look here

I have to say I probably stand alone but I'm not a huge fan of ECERS, so worth doing your homework on it before you launch in and decide to use it. I think some LAs use it in their rag/equisp/categorizations of settings.

Guest jenpercy
Hi jenpercy, if you want to find out more about ECERS, ITERS and the rest, then have a look here

I have to say I probably stand alone but I'm not a huge fan of ECERS, so worth doing your homework on it before you launch in and decide to use it. I think some LAs use it in their rag/equisp/categorizations of settings.

As an after schoool club - I just want to use something that will keep OFSTED and Early Years with as little work as possible. I can't find the actual scales do you have to buy?

I can't find the actual scales do you have to buy?

Yes, you need to buy the book. Here's a link to SACERS on Amazon which is the School Age Care Environmental Rating Scale and ECERS which is for children from three to five

Guest MaryEMac

We have been using our county's Quality Framework bur our EYFSA said that it wouldn't hurt to do the ofsted sef as well. More work for me.

Mary

We have been using our county's Quality Framework bur our EYFSA said that it wouldn't hurt to do the ofsted sef as well. More work for me.

Mary

it makes me wonder who these advisers all are and why they tell you to double up on work when one or the other is perfectly acceptable... I would do just the one,, why spend time redoing it.. no point what so ever.. until the Ofsted one becomes mandatory do the one you are happiest with and when inspected let them know why..

Don't do the work twice just for the sake of it... it has no meaning...

You all do far too much paperwork as it is... I really cannot see any reason to add to it.

Inge

• 7 months later...

Hi

Searching for current views on the SEF I found this thread. Given that the SEF for schools will be withdrawn in September, 2011 it would seem unnecessary to complete the Ofsted SEF for early years (especially as it does not feel very user friendly and I've avoided it for two years!!).

However, I would like to evaluate our provision using a recognised/tried and tested tool and wondered if anybody else had any views on possible alternatives such as the ECERS, or could suggest other user friendly evaluative tools?

Thanks

Have you thought about a quality assurance scheme like the PLA scheme, Reflecting on Quality ?

We have just completed this and it helps you through reflecting on and improving on weak areas.

They also provide an electronic training tool so practitioners can work on individual modules and print themselves a certificate when they have completed a unit, which is good for their CPD.

It's quite a bit of work, but if you include sections in your staff meetings, everyone can be involved.

Once achieved you have a valuable tool to show Ofsted you have self evaluated your provision.

That sounds interestign dorisdarling, I hadn't thought of that. I could see my colleagues liking having a certificate to print off at intervals. I will look into this.

Does anyone else have any experience of either ECERS or the PLA scheme to help me weigh up the pros and cons of either scheme?

We have had a few conversations about ECERS previously, a search should throw up a few, come back to us if it doesn't.

I'm not the worlds greatest fan of ECERS, (I'm a trained auditor, as are many other members here), but many others here like it, so you will have to weigh up if it fits your purpose.

Does you LA have its own scheme?

I have recently had an ofsted inspection and the inspector told me that the SEF online wouldn't be available for much longer and that i would need to find my own format, has anyone else heard this?

I have recently had an ofsted inspection and the inspector told me that the SEF online wouldn't be available for much longer and that i would need to find my own format, has anyone else heard this?

No - but sounds like just the excuse that was looking for to not bother updating mine over the summer! :o

We have a SEF and it was used by the ofsted inspector when she came in Jan.

I am not a fan of the Sef and would rather use my own devise but now it is a condition for us in Kent to have it to be accepted on the Quality mark scheme! So if they dont get you one way they get you on another!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have had a few conversations about ECERS previously, a search should throw up a few, come back to us if it doesn't.

I'm not the worlds greatest fan of ECERS, (I'm a trained auditor, as are many other members here), but many others here like it, so you will have to weigh up if it fits your purpose.

Does you LA have its own scheme?

Thanks for your thoughts Mundia, will do a forum search for ERCERs and have another look at our LA agreement regarding conditions of funding.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cathy m

I think we are all aware that it is not compulsory to use the Ofsted SEF, several childminders in my area actually received negative feedback from an inspector as they had received support from a local authority consultant teacher and all had done it in a similar way. They were told it was not necessary to use the Ofsted one and the inspector positively encouraged alternative ones that showed self reflection

Cathy

• 8 months later...

You could always use one of the accreditation schemes where you look at different aspects of the setting to improve and work as a team. I have completed the Reflecting on Quality, PLA Scheme, which is very thorough.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)