Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help And Advice Needed

Hi All

I need a second opinion on this matter. Within our setting we prepare snacks for the children, but nobody holds the relevant Food Hygiene Certificate, although a coure is booked for a member of staff to go on, but i am concerned that we are preparing food for children without being trained, am i being unreasonable to say i am not willing to prepare the food as it is against Health and Safety Legislation alongside the FSA?

It depends what you are actually having to do. If you are just preparing simple snacks, I would assume you would follow your settings policies on health and hygiene etc, following good practice re. preparation,handwashing,and so on...

I don't think this is unreasonable to ask to do this without a certificate. I would however recommend staff taking basic food hygiene training in the future.

It depends what you are actually having to do. If you are just preparing simple snacks, I would assume you would follow your settings policies on health and hygiene etc, following good practice re. preparation,handwashing,and so on...

I don't think this is unreasonable to ask to do this without a certificate. I would however recommend staff taking basic food hygiene training in the future.

I agree. Just get on the course as soon as you can. We have onkly 1 staff member who has managed to get on it so has passed info on.

You can do a Food Hygiene Certificate over the internet - cost about £50 I think - and its all done without having to leave the house. If you only preparing snacks and there is no meat, you avoid things like eggs etc then I see no reason why your policy wouldn't cover it. I think you will come unstuck if you start using food that might cause children a problem.

Nikki

If you are preparing a small snack then it doesn't matter that you don't have a food hygiene certificate as long as you have a policy covering food preparation with details about hand washing etc. Common sense is a huge factor here, presumably you aren't preparing a full meal, I'm guessing it's finger food like toast, crackers, fruit etc. so providing you are being clean and hygienic there shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks guys - also found out nobody has a First Aid cert either - just found out it is actually against the law to prepare food without holding a minimum of level 2 food safety and hygiene

I think you will find if the children are involved in making the snack you do not need the food hygiene certificate.

Guest jenpercy

food hygiene certificate is at the vey least good practice - however, if you have a policy on food preparation, a member of staff booked on next available course AND a policy that you will roll out food hygiene for rest of staff on rolling programme you would be well covered. OFSTED asked about this, we have approx half staff covered.

No first aid is very serious, it is defnately a legal requirement. You should not open without a first aider on site. Make that your done prority

Thanks guys - also found out nobody has a First Aid cert either - just found out it is actually against the law to prepare food without holding a minimum of level 2 food safety and hygiene

Where did you hear this? I've never heard this in my life and the curriculum activily encourages teachers to prepare food and eat it with their classes so they would all have to be qualified to this level, which they certainly aren't! (and OFSTED certainly aren't failing people for it!) It sounds like one of those myths that should be on the health and safety website!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)