Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Number- Time

Hi i have tried looking for how to introduce time to my children in reception but i cant find anything! any one got any ideas please! x

The Hickory Dickory Dock rhyme that does all the 'o'clocks is a good place to start and also brings in rhyming words. We use a small stuff mouse and allow a child to come amd turn the hands around one.

Playing Mr Wolf outside

What's the time Mr Wolf, books and the game itself. Not only can you focus on o'clock but also what happens at different times of the day - dinner time, bed time etc.

Number crew also have good 10 min videos which can be found on teachers tv.

You probably do this anyway, but focussing their attention on what the clock in the classroom looks like at key points in their day. Some children in my year R classes each year were quick to pick up on what time they came into school, went out to play, had lunch and went home and from that began to take an interest in time more generally. Also used 3 pigs story for special focus on this area as someone has suggested. We enjoyed making clocks with paper plates - differentiated numeral work with some writing their own and others having numerals on labels, and numerals on labels with a clock model to follow for those who were unsure where to stick what. Last year we had a 3 pigs display including an interactive clock. Several children had great fun setting the clock to home time, lunch time and play time and would announce it to everyone, thereby generally raising awareness. Another resource mine enjoyed was an interactive clock game on the internet from BBC Wales I think - you can google it with snapdragon and time. It asks you to set a time by using arrow keys. When it is correct the clock rings and a dragon says the time in English and Welsh. :o

AOB

Children also need to be able to sequence the day, morning/ afternoon/evening and tell the difference between day and night etc. They need to understand and use time related vocabulary such as before/ after/ next and today/ tomorrow/ yesterday.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)