Provider: Southampton LA
Updated in collaboration with Southampton Inclusion Partnership (SIP) and its lead school, Springwell and includes the opportunity to visit Springwell Special Educational Needs classrooms.
This is a comprehensive course about working with children and young people with autism in mainstream settings – early years or primary phase (also appropriate for primary and secondary SEN staff). This long-running course has received consistent positive feedback and has been updated in collaboration with SIP and its lead school Springwell to include observations in Springwell classes, and workshops with Springwell Practitioners.
This course is useful for people who have limited understanding and experience of autism, and for those who have worked with children with autism for many years. Over four days participants will develop their understanding of the strengths and needs of children with autism, be introduced to a wide range of support strategies and interventions, and have the opportunity to experience some of these techniques in practice.
You will be able to:
• Consider the world from the autistic person’s point of view.
• Structure the learning environment to support the inclusion of children with autism. This will involve the opportunity to observe techniques derived from a T.E.A.C.C.H approach in practice.
• Write a Social Story.
• Be aware of different interventions aimed at supporting children with autism including: an overview of The Attention Autism programme (delivered by Kate Buckingham, an advanced practitioner in this Gina Davis intervention), Intensive Interaction, Waldon Therapy and Identiplay.
• Consider how to support the communication, and sensory needs associated with autism.
• Support the development of social skills in children with autism and learn how to deliver a Circle of Friends, or Comic Strip Conversation intervention.
• Plan for, and prevent challenging behaviour.
• Consider the experience of parents of children with autism.
• Develop an action plan to support a child with autism in your setting.
Southampton City Council maintained schools and Southampton PVI Early Years & Childcare providers;
Early Bird Price £400 ,
Usual Price £425
Academies, free schools and other organisations;
Early Bird Price £500
Usual Price £525
Early Bird discount - book at least two calender months before course start date to qualify
Delivered by: Educational Psychologists and Springwell Staff
Cold buffet lunch is included
Edited by Rebecca