Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Planning

hi have had the go a head from partnership teachers to use the EYFS from September I have my planning format in place, but like to cut and paste the learning intentions on the planning. Also I would like a tracking sheet for each child on their development (not to use as a tick chart). I know there has been a post where some one has already done this could anyone tell me what this was under.

Hi

I remember reading the post and finding the document really good but for the life of me can not find it I am sure someone will come along and be abe to put there hand straight on it. Shelley

I feel like I'm the one always spoiling the party on the EYFS... Ofsted are still going to be inspecting against Birth to Three and Foundation Stage until August 2008 so I have great concerns about anyone introducing new planning formats until that time. Ofsted have not changed their inspection routine yet, so will still be looking at National Standards.

As I've said before, I think it's great that practitioners are looking at the document and getting to grips with it and how it will impact on their provision, and as part of the Early Years Service, we need that lead time too to be able to look at the document and roll out the training.

The plan was that providers should not really have even had access to the documents until they have attended the training through their LA, but they were made available through various websites and now people are getting ahead of themselves in devising planning etc.

If we are not careful, we are going to be in danger of another BTTM situation with every setting going off on a tangent and not following guidelines as intended by 'the powers that be'.

I'd get your partnership teaching team to check with Ofsted before you start doing this - and of course, let us know what their response is!

We had ofsted last week, and it was agreed - by them- that we should start using the EYFS from now onwards, obviously the 'Statutory Framework' side of things will filter through slowly and will not be fully implimented as such until Sept 08, but the 'practice guidance' we shall be using from this September.

I should add that we take from 2ys upwards, I am new to the post and currently the staff have very limited knowledge of either ss/elg or 0-3.... so perhaps you can see why Ofsted are keen for us to move on!!!!

xxx

Guest Wolfie

I know exactly where you're coming from Running Bunny and take your point about everyone developing their own slant on the framework and going off at tangents. However, there are going to be instances where a setting has been very recently inspected by Ofsted and received judgements which mean that they won't be inspected again until after Sept 2008 - I support one such nursery - and I think in those cases it seems daft to implement any new practice relating to planning, assessments, observations...and associated paperwork...with regard to BTTM and FS rather than the EYFS. Ohterwise there will have to be changes AGAIN this time next year.

I implemented a new system of collecting observations and evidence of development/learning at my nursery a couple of months ago before the Ofsted visit, developing the staff's skills at linking their obs to either BTTM or FS, and now I'm thinking I've got to rerun that training and say "Well, actually we've got to do it slightly differently now!". That's not going to go down well! :o

However, there are going to be instances where a setting has been very recently inspected by Ofsted and received judgements which mean that they won't be inspected again until after Sept 2008 - I support one such nursery - and I think in those cases it seems daft to implement any new practice relating to planning, assessments, observations...and associated paperwork...with regard to BTTM and FS rather than the EYFS. Ohterwise there will have to be changes AGAIN this time next year.

Good point, Wolfie.

I just don't want practitioners spending valuable time implementing new plans only to get inspected and getting pulled up on the wrong planning/legislation.

I was told at a meeting yesterday that the training will be done in 5 modules and that from autumn there will be no Birth To three or Foundation Stage training , only EYFS the new Birth To Five. They suggest one person from each setting come and do all of the modules and take back to all staff. Not sure about that one as my worry would be they could leave and take knowledge with them. On the other hand it could get messy if say too many came on the different modules. I am going towards in house training if I can get it for all my staff at once.

hi I have emailed ofsted and they replied we can start using EYFS before 2008. The setting i will be managing has just have had an ofsted so theres no problem there.

I also feel that the EYFS is very good for mixed aged settings and we have children from 2 to 4 years.

But its good to see everyones views on it. Thank you. xD:o

Guest Wolfie

That sounds sensible Sheila - whole staff training sounds like the best solution really but it's not going to be feasible in many cases.

We had ofsted last week (received an outstanding but that is another discussion) our inspector told us as running buny has said they are not totally ofay with the EYFS and will not be inspecting on the framework until it comes in to force. Although I have looked at the framework I am not implementing it in any of my nurserys until we have had training and we have had plenty of time to get used to the framework. Shelley

Having looked at the new EYFS it is not very much different to what many of us are already doing now-with regard to the standards and the curriculum. I really don't think there will be great changes to be made so it wouldn't be totally inappropriate for settings to be looking at what needs to be done.

I know that inspections are still being made under B23 and the Foundation stage curriculum but if you showed that you were looking at what is going to be happening in the future OFSted will be ok with that-I had a discussion with our inspector recently and she was pleased to know that I had at least had a look at the new stuff and was keeping upto date.

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I've just uploaded my completed record sheets for the EYFS, using the development matters sections. You can find them all in the resource library, in the observation and assessment section. You are welcome to use or adapt as you wish! As every effective practitioner knows, these are not meant to be used as mere ticklists, but to refer to observations made on the child, and kept elsewhere.

:o

Helen,

Than you does not express enough what you have done. I was at a briefing on Monday all about the EYFS. My manager asked me to go as she wants me to be part of the team implementing the new package and to go for training. I received my pack by post a few weeks ago and had planned while I was off for four weeks during the summer holidays to look at the pack and make some sort of planning format to be used at the nursery. You have done the work and very kindly are willing to share it. I will be looking at it and might make adjustments, not sure yet. But thank you for sharing them.

Rosepetal

Guest Wolfie

Helen.......I'm probably being extremely dense here and staring the obvious in the face.......but why have you done separate charts for boys and girls? I can't see any difference between them? :o

Thanks, Helen ! I have downloaded all of them. They are great and it was a great idea to make give them that personal touch. Again, thanks a million for sharing your hard work.

Edited by SmileyPR

• 3 weeks later...
I only do this for the glory :o

Hello Helen

I have read the many notes praising your EYFS planning documents unfortunately I can't seem to access the original one from you with the attachments. I would really appreciate being able to have a look at what you have produced. Hope that would be OK

Thanks

Kim

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)