Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fantastic Easter Activity

On Fri we are having a special Easter celebration day and I am in charge of overseeing the activities for the Nursery, Reception and Year One classes. We will have 6 members of staff who will be doing diff activities on a carousel basis. Have been so busy organising timetable and other staff's activities have not sorted my activitiy out yet. Does anyone have a really wonderful Easter activity that they have done in the past and if so would you be prepared to share it? It can be absolutely anything (Learning obj of the day is FUN) however we already have 2 cooking activities and a treasure hunt going on so preferably something diff. It's got to last approx 20 - 30 mins.

post-5848-1174829756_thumb.jpg

I have attached a picture of my builder's tray from last Easter as the children really enjoyed it. It's just sawdust, bark, hay, eggshells (bleached), chicks and some wooden eggcups and children stayed at it for really long periods of time.

Guest HelenW

Thats a great activity I will definately do it this Tuesday, thank you so much for the wonderful idea. I love this forum

Helen

easter bonnets or hats..... could use paper plates for a base and ribbon to tie on ..just decorate... Fluffy chicks are cheap at £land if you have one, anything goes really!!

Inge

Thanks everyone - I posted it in the hope that someone would give me a great idea - haha!

Already done Easter cards and planting seeds, potatoes etc and the children do painting boiled eggs, easter gardens and easter bonnets at home for a competition so really am running short of ideas.

I asked the dinner supervisor to save me eggshells when she had used them and rinsed these out and stuck them in a bowl of bleach for a few mins, rinsed them again and left them to air dry. Somebody once told me if using egg shells with children you have to do this - can't remember who now and not sure whether it's necessary but I like to be on the safe side.

Any wonderful suggestions for a short activity???

how about organising a group display for the wall and offering the children lots of different materials i.e. tissue paper, foil, shiny sweet wrappers, sequins, yellow and green fluffy pompoms, hole punches, stickers, felt pens etc. etc. (just raid your art craft supplies) cut out a giant egg shape or giant chick etc and get them to each add their material to it.

Good luck and hope your day goes well!

Mel

Guest Wolfie

How about egg rolling? It's a traditional activity apparently, it was a member of staff from Scotland that introduced us to it and the children loved it - you just need some hard boiled eggs and a nice slope somewhere, grassy or otherwise!

What about marbling (you know the dipping type) paper egg shapes with serated edge as though the chick (two circles on top of each other - children to make their own) has popped out and putting a spring chicken inside popping through the egg

or using egg boxes to create something - not sure what at the moment I am still thinking - what about melting chocolate - cooking easter cheese bunny biscuits, or the eggs in nests, or making rabbit ears from card, or good old 3d daffodils and presenting as a bunch of flowers ( using the egg boxes) or creating daffodil pictures - I don;t know losing the will to live thinking.

I am sure others will have some good ideas - we are growing cress and making egg sandwiches at the end of the week.

Nikki

Not sure if this is what you want as it is quite a strongly directed activity. i'll try and summarize.

Using a commercial Easter egg lke a Smarties egg in a box, or chocolate button egg or some such. Sit with a smallish group of children and bit by bit analyse it. Start with looking at the box and identify colours, shapes and writing. I usually cut a very large egg shape out of pastel poster paper in egg colours and record the findings- colour names, number of colours etc. Open out the box and identify the 'net'. What shape is the hole? Why is the egg in a box? How is the box made and what of? Then look at the packaging- usually transparent plastic. What shapes can you see? How does it feel? Then do the egg wrapping, smell, feel, colour, sound when squeezed etc. Pass things around the children for their comments. Then of course open the egg. What is it made of? How etc. smell feel and then......( this is why they concentrate so well waiting for this bit.) What happens when you hold the chocolate in your hand? What happens in your mouth? Is it sweet or sour?If there are sweets inside or with it, then sort them by colour and find how many more, fewer etc. of each colour. Then share them out. How many do you think each one will get- share - then how many have you got? Was your estimate correct? I'm sure you get the gist of it. I usually do this 3 times with about 10 in each group and use different types of fairly cheap eggs. it alwasy goes down realy well :o Lots of learning!

Last week we made daffodil picutres by painting cake cases and layering them - they were wuite effective.

Also decorate card butterflies and sticking them to a peg were quite pretty.

we did make a big spring scene last year with a tree as the central focus - handprints being the leaves and pink tissue paper as blossom - it was lovely!

I work with very young children (oldest being 2 1/2) so maybe these ideas are too simplistic.

Some great ideas here tho - and I love the builders tray! :D

Thanks Mookie for the builders tray idea

I set it up this morning and it worked so well, the children loved it and stayed interested in it for ages

The early years development officer came in and thought it was very good

Sorry I dident tell her I had the idea from here :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)