Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Make A Pentagon Den - Its Easy (honest!)

I recently went on a course entitled 'VISUAL ARTS INSPIRED BY REGGIO EMILIO'. It was simply amazing and I'd like to share a fantastic activity with you. With any luck I've successfully attached it to this post! If not let me know.

Its a pentagon den which you can make on any scale using anything from art straws to 8ft bamboo canes (did this, wouldn't recommend it for a fist though!!)

They are really easy to make once you get the gist of it and the opportunities are endless!!

I dare you to make one!!

Lucy x

How_To_Make_A_Pentagon_Den.doc

Lucy those are fantastic! I love the decorations on them. Think I might start off with a small one and try a bigger one during the summer when we could perhaps build it outside.

Could you take them partially apart for storage?

Linda

we could perhaps build it outside.

Could you take them partially apart for storage?

Linda

I put one up yesterday in the middle of the nursery garden. Didn't realise quite how huge it would be with its 8ft canes - its enormous!!!

I'm sure you could take them down, it depends how you secure the canes together. The one in the photographs was secured using paperclips sellotaped to the corners then tied together with string (through the loopy bit of the clip).

Good luck!

Lucy x

• 9 months later...

Only just come across this article - this is a favourite at scouts and cubs but we only use elastic bands to join canes and they always hold together and take apart quickly.

What a fantastic idea!! I was given some metre long plastic straws before Christmas and could not work out what to do with them....now I know!!!! :-)

• 11 months later...
I recently went on a course entitled 'VISUAL ARTS INSPIRED BY REGGIO EMILIO'. It was simply amazing and I'd like to share a fantastic activity with you. With any luck I've successfully attached it to this post! If not let me know.

Its a pentagon den which you can make on any scale using anything from art straws to 8ft bamboo canes (did this, wouldn't recommend it for a fist though!!)

They are really easy to make once you get the gist of it and the opportunities are endless!!

I dare you to make one!!

Lucy x

This is FANTASTIC!!! will really go well with my shape theme THANKYOU!!!!!

So if I sellotape the paperclips to the end of the bamboo - I'm going to look for 4 foot lengths I think, then use those wire closure thingies or pipecleaners, that would work., yes? Might have a go with artstraws or even pipecleaners first

• 4 weeks later...

Well here we are! We used the paperclips and pipe cleaners to tie it together, but ended up binding all the joints with masking tape too, as by the time it was being decorated, trampled in and generally pulled about, the paperclips had come adrift.

A great time was had by all

post-13453-1233076523_thumb.jpg

post-13453-1233076570_thumb.jpg

Great pics Cait, love the ribbons and other attachments too. Are the children going to add more to it, I'm thinking musical triangles or tubular chimes maybe? :o

Or will in evolve into a dark den for individual children to get some solo peace and quiet. (or the teachers for that matter xD )

Peggy

I'm thinking pieces of fabric, maybe some tinfoil. Possibly cover some triangles completely in big paper so they can draw on them.....

If you can get some large sheets of clear cellophane (is there a florists' wholesalers anywhere nearby?) that makes a great covering for children to decorate with sweetie wrappers and other transluscent materials. It means they can do the decorating without making it too dark inside. :o

You're lucky you don't have to pack away - would be very awkward to get one in our cupboard, even one that could be unhooked at strategic points to enable it to be folded!

Nope - no nearby florist - we in the middle of nowhere! I did see that suggestion on the thread earlier, and wondered about it. Spent ages looking for a roll of cellophane I have somewhere.....

Nope - no nearby florist - we in the middle of nowhere!

Far too expensive from the florist - but at the wholesaler it is much cheaper and if you get a big enough roll it lasts for years! xD

Or another idea is to do Wolfie's reversed sticky backed plastic idea - you can get big rolls in Smiths or Partners - and then they can stick whatever they like to it! Great for catching flies in the summer... :o

And here's pictures from today. We stuck sticky-backed plastic on and children stuck felt shapes they made onto it, along with pre-cut gummed shapes, feathers, tinsel, buttons, pom-poms, sequins and all sorts of things! We stuck big pieces or lining paper on and this encouraged lots of mark-making. It's been fabulous and they have all been told to 'put their thinking heads on' for tomorrow as it will be its last day as we should be moving out of the Chapel on Friday, into our own room, which is smaller (unfortunately)

post-13453-1233164759_thumb.jpg

post-13453-1233164780_thumb.jpg

post-13453-1233164801_thumb.jpg

I'd love one but as a daily packaway not sure its going to work for us.

I'm sure there must be a way, and now I'm wishing I'd tried this in the garden in the summer when I had the chance. :o

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)