8 replies to this topic

#1 Nicola Gray

Nicola Gray

nikki

• Full FSF Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:35 PM

I am being a bit lazy really as I am not sure where to find the information - I am looking for contemporary theorists who theorise the physical development of children 0-20 months - I can think of Piaget sensorimotor - but have drawn a blank on information. Help please?
Nikki

#2 Marion

Marion

• Full FSF Member
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:53 PM

Jerome Bruner :o
"Movement plays a central role in children's development and learning. Observe almost any infant, in almost any setting, and you will see ample evidence of this: through movement children learn about their bodies, their physical and social environments: they try out different roles and rules; they test themselves. Indeed, it might be claimed that movement, action and play make up the 'culture of childhood' (Bruner,1983).
  • EmerSlattery likes this
Marion

Play, while it cannot change the external realities of children’s lives, can be a vehicle for children to explore and enjoy their differences and similarities and to create, even for a brief time, a more just world where everyone is an equal and valued participant.

#3 Nicola Gray

Nicola Gray

nikki

• Full FSF Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:46 PM

Thanks Marion - I have to produce a poster on contemporary theorists on physical play - the tutor said to look at the medical/health theorists but no idea how to do this. Hopefully some others may come up with something.
Nikki

#4 Peggy

Peggy

Landscape design and gardening consultancy!

• Official FSF Saint
  • 8,386 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:40 PM

found this

Peggy

Attached Files

daily mantra "......because YOU'RE worth it"

#5 Marion

Marion

• Full FSF Member
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:24 PM

http://www.acei.org/playpaper.htm

http://www.ncrel.org...cld/ea7lk18.htm
Marion

Play, while it cannot change the external realities of children’s lives, can be a vehicle for children to explore and enjoy their differences and similarities and to create, even for a brief time, a more just world where everyone is an equal and valued participant.

#6 Peggy

Peggy

Landscape design and gardening consultancy!

• Official FSF Saint
  • 8,386 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:24 PM

Thanks Marion for re posting those links, ( sorry I deleted your post )

here is the other one you previously posted.

HERE

Peggy
daily mantra "......because YOU'RE worth it"

#7 Nicola Gray

Nicola Gray

nikki

• Full FSF Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:07 PM

Thanks very much Marion - I am trying to create a poster for my EYP course so I will try and get on with it now
Nikki

#8 Marion

Marion

• Full FSF Member
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:28 AM

Thanks Peggy I wasn't sure exactly what I had posted :o
Marion

#9 EmerSlattery

EmerSlattery

New user

• Full FSF Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:59 PM

Hi all,

I want to use that Bruner (1983) quote included on this thread. I have searched 'Child's Talk: Learning to Use Language'; a book published by Bruner on this year and the quote is not there. I need to reference it; could you please let me know which book this quote came from.

Kind regards,

Emer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users