Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Theorists - Physical Development

I am being a bit lazy really as I am not sure where to find the information - I am looking for contemporary theorists who theorise the physical development of children 0-20 months - I can think of Piaget sensorimotor - but have drawn a blank on information. Help please?

Nikki

Jerome Bruner :o

"Movement plays a central role in children's development and learning. Observe almost any infant, in almost any setting, and you will see ample evidence of this: through movement children learn about their bodies, their physical and social environments: they try out different roles and rules; they test themselves. Indeed, it might be claimed that movement, action and play make up the 'culture of childhood' (Bruner,1983).

• Like 1

Thanks Marion - I have to produce a poster on contemporary theorists on physical play - the tutor said to look at the medical/health theorists but no idea how to do this. Hopefully some others may come up with something.

Nikki

• 10 years later...

Hi all,

I want to use that Bruner (1983) quote included on this thread. I have searched 'Child's Talk: Learning to Use Language'; a book published by Bruner on this year and the quote is not there. I need to reference it; could you please let me know which book this quote came from.

Kind regards,

Emer