Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

North And South Pole

We are doing polar animals in response to the children's interest and are using Cuddly Dudley and Penguin Small for the south pole and the snow bear and the polar bear and the snow cloud and polar bear polar bear what do you see for the north pole.

I've used Penguin small as a basis for a similar topic and dis hot and cold with it.

I made a display with a jungly island in the middle and a s.pole and n.pole

We did repeating patterns and made snakes and scarves like the snowman wears. Looked at what you wear in hot and cold countries. Made ice scenes ice cubes and shaving foam and arctic creaturesand made laminated figures to add to it. We had an hokiday shop.We used the internet to look at other countries and looked at a globe. We made ice blocks of different shapes and placed them in different places. Snipped snowflake patterns out of paper. We wrote to the polar bears to let them know why no-one wanted to stay. We also looked at how the weather can change. The children really enjojed it and many of the ideas came from their discussions. Children talked about igloos, so we looked at them on the internet and used a white sheet outside as a makeshift igloo

there is a lovely book called lost and found (I think) about a little boy who returns a lost peguin to the north pole

just thought we also freeze small sorting toys in yoghurt pots. the children love watching the blocks of ice melt to find out what is stuck inside

We once had a lovely 'antartic' role play with a pop-up tent disguised as an igloo, sleeping bags, woolly hats,scarves, safety flasks, cuddly polar bears/penguins..the children loved it! Not seen the new film 'Happy Feet' about the penguin, maybe this has links ??

Just found one!

http://www.exploris.org/visit/files/Happy%...duc%20Guide.pdf

Edited by Guest

Guest DeborahF

We did a very similar thing to the freezing animals activity - made our water play into an arctic scene, froze big blocks of ice, some with arctic animals inside. The ELC used to do a really good little set of those animals, I don't know if they still do? You do have to keep an eye on the children though becuase they DO get cold playing in the water.

Books - I think there's one called Snowbear with textured pictures? And Pingu!

Happy Feet will be such a popular film it will be a good way into this theme. It is about being different, friendship and environmental issues. The chap who played Frodo is the voice for the lead character. I love this theme but don't you wish we could have some real snow for the children.

We did the 'frozen teddy' - idea came from this fabulous website. A parcel arrived with a 'the Arctic' postmark. We passed the unopened parcel around the group and tried to guess what it might be. We then unwrapped it and the children passed round the parcel again and had a 'prod' at the teddy. We then talked about how we could help teddy to get warm. I had taken in towels, hair dryer and hot water bottle but didn't show the children until they suggested them. The children came up with lots of good ideas including using the above, making him a drink of hot vimto and 'put my mum's dressing gown on him and sit him in front of the fire - that's what my mum does to me when I'm cold'! Ahhh, bless.

We sprayed ours with one of those plant sprays then popped him in the freezer over night the next day he was suitably frosted and we placed him outdoors for the children to discover. Then followed up with a discussion on how to warm him up......pictures and captions.

Spraying with water would be far more civilised/kind. I soaked ours in a washing up bowl - he was well and truely frozen to the core, and took quite a while to thaw out :o

:o Actually I can sleep very well, fell into bed exhausted at 9 p.m. but then woke up around 3 a.m and couldn't get back to sleep, so what does one do at that time of the morning? Obviously come on this website ..... I really must get a life ... or stop panicing about our Christmas play xD

Harricroft xxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)