Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Make A Stand Against Poverty Here

mundia

Hi everyone, welcome to the Foundation Stage Forum ‘online’ stand up against poverty as part of the World Record attempt to get as many people across the world as possible to ‘stand up against poverty' at the same time. We are officially registered for this event. It would be fantastic to see as many members and visitors as possible join in.

Please read through the instructions to take part.

1.The number of people posting on this thread in support will indicate our official number of ‘standers’. Each post must contain the pledge, printed below, the shorter version is probably the easiest one to use. Please feel free to use different colours or fonts for this part. The main notion of the campign is that people physically stand up if they are able to, so please take a moment to stand up and read the pledge efore typing it.

2. You can add your own observations, feelings, opinions etc as long as they are relevant to the theme

3. Please only post once on this thread. If you want to ask questions, share news etc please post on the other thread. Please also refrain from chit chat as these posts cannot be counted towards the record attempt.

4. Visitors are welcome to post here today. It would be great to know your location. Just go to 'add reply' to begin. Also if you could include a name that would be great too.

5. Sorry to be a party pooper but anything posted outside of the theme of this thread will be deleted.

6. At the close of the attempt on Monday at 10 am (GMT) I will send of the numbers who participated as our official contribution. Announcemnets of the world wide figures for the stand up will be announced in New York on Tuesday which is World Povertry Day (wear your white bands).

Here is the pledge 1

Could I ask you please to Stand Up Against Poverty.

We stand here proudly as members of the generation that intends to defeat extreme poverty.

We cannot stay seated when a child born in a poor country today will die 30 years earlier than a child born in a wealthy one.

And we stand up because we are asking not for charity but justice – we know, that in our names, world leaders have made mighty promises to bring this to an end – they are called the Millennium Development Goals. What is needed is the political will to achieve and exceed these goals - so we are on our feet to say -

To the leaders of the wealthy countries – be great - fight to keep your promises – debt cancellation, more and better aid, and trade rules that help fight poverty – you know what needs to be done – do it.

We also stand before the leaders of poorer countries to say – be great – make it your first responsibility to save the lives of your poorest citizens. We ask you to achieve real transparency and accountability in how money is spent, to tackle inequality, to root out corruption. You know what needs to be done. Do it.

We wish to set a record today of the number of people standing up to demand action on poverty – but the record we really want to break is the world’s record of breaking promises and just ignoring the poor. We don’t want record numbers of people dying of poverty every year for the rest of our lives.

We are six billion Voices. We want justice now. No more excuses. We will not stand for them.

Pledge 2 the short version

As part of the generation that demands an end to poverty, I stand up:

- for the 30,000 children killed by poverty today

- to insist that governments keep their promises to the poor

- to reach the Millennium Development Goals and aim even higher

- for action, not excuses

- for justice and equality

I stand up against poverty.

lets make this a great contribution to the campaign...

We stand here proudly as members of the generation that intends to defeat extreme poverty.

We cannot stay seated when a child born in a poor country today will die 30 years earlier than a child born in a wealthy one.

And we stand up because we are asking not for charity but justice – we know, that in our names, world leaders have made mighty promises to bring this to an end – they are called the Millennium Development Goals. What is needed is the political will to achieve and exceed these goals - so we are on our feet to say -

To the leaders of the wealthy countries – be great - fight to keep your promises – debt cancellation, more and better aid, and trade rules that help fight poverty – you know what needs to be done – do it.

We also stand before the leaders of poorer countries to say – be great – make it your first responsibility to save the lives of your poorest citizens. We ask you to achieve real transparency and accountability in how money is spent, to tackle inequality, to root out corruption. You know what needs to be done. Do it.

We wish to set a record today of the number of people standing up to demand action on poverty – but the record we really want to break is the world’s record of breaking promises and just ignoring the poor. We don’t want record numbers of people dying of poverty every year for the rest of our lives.

We are six billion Voices. We want justice now. No more excuses. We will not stand for them.

RB - standing up for Poverty in West Yorkshire x

MY HUSBAND AND I ( 2 counts)

LEADERS OF NATIONS, PLEASE DO NOT JUST SIT AROUND TABLES AND DISCUSS, OR MAKE MERE VERBAL PROMISES. WE STAND AS AN ACTION, TO DEMAND THAT YOU ACTION YOUR PROMISES TO END POVERTY NOW.

Peggy and Dave

We are six billion Voices. We want justice now. No more excuses. We will not stand for them

Stand together against injustice and make our voices heard

post-4544-1160909308_thumb.jpg

I stand up against poverty

Mick (Marion's partner)

Make Poverty History!

Alena

Guest Simon (Clare's Partner)

Guest Guest_vicky_*

I stand up against poverty

vicky

FROM PEGGY'S HUSBAND, ONE POST EQUALS ONE COUNT ( UNABLE TO DO 2 COUNTS IN ONE POST)

DAVE

I ask you to stand up against poverty

Jacquie Long

Guest A friend

Jenny Long

David Long

Philip Long

Guest James Taylor

Guest Irene L

Guest Guest_Danny_*

Iain