Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

FSF Joins World Record Attempt

mundia

Hi Folks

The Foundation Stage Forum is now offically registered to take part in the World Record attempt 'Stand up against Poverty'

The record attempt will take place from 11am on Sunday 15th October until 11 am Monday 16th October. The idea is that people all over the world will join in to 'make a stand' to combat poverty, to remind our G8 leader of their promises made last year, to continue to move towards making poverty history.

All over the world events will be running where people will wear their white bands and be asked to stand for one minute whilst a 'pledge' is read out. The numbers will be counted at each registered event world wide and a total should be available by Tuesday morning where an announcment will be made in New York as to how many people 'made a stand' and if this is a world record, it will be entered into the Guiness Book of records.

You can participate in 3 ways if you wish to.

1. Organise an event at your setting, getting children to stand up, wrap round a white sheet or paper or hoops covered in white paper or anything else you can imagine. As many of us are celebrating harvest its a good time to talk to children about some children not having any food to eat. A whole schoolassemly would be one way if you are in a school.

2. Attend an event in your locality. If people have details of events taking place, please post them to let others know

3. As an online community we cannot physically all stand up in the same place, so we are going to 'stand up' online!! This is, as far as I know the first online community to take part in a 'virtual stand up' so lets make it a good one! We will be inviting you to post on an exclusive 'make a stand' thread that I will start on the day of the record attempt. I will explain more nearer the time as to what you need to put in your post, but its that simple. There is no money involved, you dont have to pay anything, its an action, if you decide to take part, you will be agreeing to end poverty and make it history. Joining in will take a few minutes of your time, that's all.

And if you dont wish to join in, thats OK too.

Ok we have just over a week, ask as many question as you like, Ill answer them as best as I can

I'll join in the 'virtual' stand on Sunday and register my results of number of children / parents / staff who make a stand on Monday, on monday night.

Any suggestions anyone for a suitable song / action for the children to do whilst they stand for a minute. Or any budding song writers out there with a suggestion? :D

Peggy

Peggy, why dont you sit your children in a circle holding a white strip of material or a sheet or something and do a mexican wave, standing up in turn. I can imagine that would be very visual and good for their concentration and coordination etc.

Not too much preparation either!!

We have planned for all the children (and adults) to wear something white (in the absence of white bands) and we are going to form a 'human white band', all of us holding hands in one big circle. We want to encourage standing by sining ring songs/rhymes but don't know whether it would be appropriate to use the general rhymes, such as 'Farmers in his den' etc. Any thoughts would be great, thanks!

Peggy, why dont you sit your children in a circle holding a white strip of material or a sheet or something and do a mexican wave, standing up in turn. I can imagine that would be very visual and good for their concentration and coordination etc.

Not too much preparation either!!

We've bought a few yards of the broad florists ribbon the make a BIG band :oxD

I'm with you we have a big roll of paper we can use to make a big band with all the children holding it. will count the children and let you know how many. might even get parents involved. great idea. I only spent 4 months in the Ivory Coast years ago and have never forgotten it. what we took for granted was a luxury for them. Even medicine Antibiotics were bought one at a time on market stalls. I now have a friend who has just gone back to Sudan that we are working with to help set up a nursery in Khartoum and do training with her. will watch with enthusiam.

Our contribution to the stnd up aginst poverty Wordl Record attempt begins tomorrow (Sunday) at 10 am. Please come along and join us and spare a few minutes to join in... (you will 24 hours to join us)