Join Us
What's New
Articles
Resources
About Us
Tapestry
Wildflowers

Secondary teacher in ratios?

A supply agency tells me that a person with a secondary qualification is counted as qualified for early years. I said that to my knowledge they are not. They claim that they checked this and had it confirmed, so sent us a secondary teacher. I'm paying much to meet legal requirements, when I could have worked with an able parent or someone else I know without a qualification.

Edited by Wildflowers
Late night typo

Well, that's really interesting isn't it? My immediate reaction was the same as yours 'No' but then looking at the qualifications audit tools and QTS is a 'Yes'. It doesn't specify the nature of the QTS or the age range trained for, which is not what I would have expected. I wonder if any of our friends on here have any further knowledge? In the meantime, I'm going to email DfE for clarification and also Ofsted. I'll let you know what they say.

I would be very interested in this as we have a secondary teacher and we treat as unqualified.

1 hour ago, diesel10 said:

I would be very interested in this as we have a secondary teacher and we treat as unqualified.

Indeed, I've emailed Gill Jones. I'll let you know what happens

As far as I know, they are a qualified teacher and as such qualified to teach any age range. I am 3 - 7 on my degree but can teach in secondary if I wanted to!!  I've worked with secondary who have gone to primary and vice versa.

Cx

But the knowledge and understanding needed to support young children's development and learning is so different from that needed for teenagers! 

Each individual person will have their own training/experience which may or may not make them want to work with any particular age group - but teachers are not essentially defined by one age range and are able to move across phases. That's what QTS confers I guess.

Cx