Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fine motor activities

I think encouraging independent skills give lots of fine motor practice. Zips, poppers and Velcro on clothes. Opening  their own lunch containers and packets, peeling their own fruit etc.

As for activities : cutting and tearing paper, pegging dolls clothes, using tweezers to pick up small toys e.g. Dinosaurs stuck in mud. Finger rhymes that involve separating fingers e.g. Tommy thumb. Disco dough. Mark making shaving foam, sand etc

• Like 1

Sometimes it's about finding something that grabs them isn't it?!^_^

recent ones that have been enjoyed...

cheerios on bits of spaghetti

pasta threading always a hit (change shapes and strings depending on skill level)

geoboards (we made our own from logs and nails) elastic bands work well on these or string

You could try making god's eyes from twigs in the garden....my lot not up to this yet!!! we also tried to make wands by wrapping string round a stick...this proved really tricky for most!!!

playdough in every which way/colour/smell/additions etc etc etc etc!

lots of cutting activities in pinterest which might float your boat.

drawing round your friend on BIG sheets of paper and then adding their features

wind up toys

pennies on masking tape 'roads'

...I could go on....:D

• Like 2

cheerios on pipe cleaners for bird feeders

pipecleaner and beads in superhero colours

we made geo boardswith the pumpkins this year, golf tees, hammers an elastic bands

we also used the net bags from washing tablets we found in an old box at back of the cupboard.  they filled their bags with all manner of items then had to work out how to close down the toggle

keys and padlocks

• Like 1

Sometimes I think we tie ourselves up in knots trying to think of 'new ideas'......... when actually the new ideas are actually for ourselves and not for the children who will probably find all our 'old ideas' are  all very new and challenging to them! :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 11/11/2017 at 21:00, louby loo said:

Sometimes I think we tie ourselves up in knots trying to think of 'new ideas'......... when actually the new ideas are actually for ourselves and not for the children who will probably find all our 'old ideas' are  all very new and challenging to them! :)

We say that about our nursery garden - we try to think of new and innovative ways each season - but often the children only have one season at their 'level' in our garden so all the ideas and activities are a new challenge for them (also helps when older ones teach their littler friends how to tackle something!)

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)