Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessment throughout the setting

VilaReal

Hi,

I hope somebody can help. Our early years setting is part of a private school from 2 to 18 years. We are only Just beginning to show and track progress. In the nursery class and Reception class we have done a baseline assessment, well a best fit approach. We will then do summative assessments at the end of each term. For the whole school approach I have to show numerically and with percentages how much progress we are making and to set targets. My initial idea is to do something similar to GLD, 1-emerging 2-developing 3-secure. So for nursery for example, the majority are within 30-50, so a child that is developing in that area would get 2, I thought if they were in the age band before they would minus 1 point or 3 depending. The problem arises when they are in the age band before. It also wouldn't be cumulative year upon year. Can anyone suggest any ideas or what they do. Thank you! 

Edited by Eleanor_Gorton

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in replying :|

What you describe is pretty much how Tapestry calculates assessments and it gives good data which is useful for forward planning and targetting next steps. Have you had a look at Tapestry? it would stop you having to do these calculations manually. :) 

Hi,

Thank you. We have got Tapestry but we are very new to the tracking side of things. We have just created a baseline, based on our observations more or less using Tapestry and we have overridden some aspects. I can see that Tapestry can show you how many months progress children have made on average. At the moment it compares the baseline to our observations in Autumn 2, but if we complete the summative assessment for autumn 2 and override some of the assessments, will Tapestry show progress based upon baseline to summative assessment? Is there another aspect where Tapestry shows us the progress made. I will definitely have a look at using the gld at the end of the Reception year too but I want to show progress through the year.  Thanks for your reply?

Ah I see! I have moved your question into the Tapestry area of the forum - you might get some other ideas from other users there! In the meantime, you might find some tutorials helpful. If you look at tutorial numbers 53-65 you will be able to look at each separate piece that you have raised in your question. 

You might also like to have a look at this recording of a webinar that talks about showing progress for individuals

Or, there might be a webinar coming up that you could book onto (they're free if you join one we have already planned)

Finally, here is an article about observing and assessing using Tapestry which might help: Observation and assessment walkthrough

Get back in touch if you need more help :)