Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

KS1/KS2 Analysis – Attainment screen

OlayaTapestrySupport

The Key Stage analysis attainment screen will tell you the difference between a child's tier score in an specific term and their MAP (Maintained Achievement Point) score. This is a good indicator of whether the children are on track, as the figures show if they are working below, at or above their expected MAP tier score.

If you haven't set up tiers, children's MAPs or haven't started assessing KS1/KS2 on your account yet, you can use the tutorials linked below to help you.

Setting up KS assessments on your account
Setting Key Stage Maintained Achievement Points for children
Assessing with the KS1 and KS2 frameworks

To find this screen, you will need to navigate to the (1) Tracking tab at the top of the page. Here, you will be given the option to choose which year group you wish to analyse. For the purpose of this tutorial, I am going to analyse (2) KS1 Y1. Once you have selected the year you will then need to click the 'Group View' on the (3) Attainment section to enter the area.

image.png

When you have gone to the attainment view you can filter by (1) subject, area, aspect or statement. You will also be able to filter by (2) groups and (3) period. You can also (4) add more than one group if you wish to compare two or more groups. 

filters.png

I have selected all 150 statements, and selected all children as my group, but you might want to narrow it down a little further.

You will then be shown a table that includes your children, their MAP, their selected period Tier Score, their Attainment Score and their Category. I will go into more detail about these further down. 

attainment table.png

Please note that the figures shown represent the average MAP score and tier score for the chosen period and statements for each child. The tier score results are drawn from the assessments made throughout the selected period.

The MAP and tier values are used to calculate the Attainment Score, which is the difference between the average MAP score and the achieved average tier score. 

The Category column shows if the children are working below, at or above their MAP. The category is refined based on the attainment score:

- An attainment score below -0.5 is considered as working below the MAP tier.

- An attainment score between -0.5 and 0.5 is considered as working at the MAP tier.

- An attainment score above 0.5 is considered as working above the MAP tier.

Let's take Abby, for instance. Abby's average MAP score is 3.69/5, as in this case the KS1/KS2 framework has been set up to have 5 tiers in total. During the Autumn assessment period, Abby was assessed several times, and she scored an average of 3.56 throughout all aspects (remember I decided to analyse the data for all 150 statements). This means that her attainment score is 0.12 below her expected MAP, so she is working at her MAP tier.

By comparing the children's tier and MAP scores, it allows you to see whether they are working at whether you expected them to be. 

abby.png

If you keep scrolling down you will see a chart that represents the percentage of children below, at and above their MAP tier as for the filters selected at the beginning. By hovering your cursor over a column you will see the exact percentage of children at that level.

chart.png

If you decided to compare two groups, and set the filters up for this purpose, you will see the comparative graph results for the separate groups in this chart. 

group comparisson.png

You can now export a printable/downloadable version of the analysis by clicking the 'PDF' button on the filtering section.

PDF.png

You can also export either the table or the column chart by clicking 'CSV' or 'image' respectively on each figure's title.

I hope this tutorial helped with the reading of your KS1/KS2 attainment data!

Back to Main Tutorials Page