Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

DBS

I know this has been answered before but I just wanted clarification that it is still the same and hadn't changed and I had missed it!

2 members of staff whose DBS's were done 4 and 5 years ago are mithering about needing a new one - I don't think they do as there is nothing in writing (that I can see) to say they have to have a new one. I get them to fill in a staff suitability form at every supervision so 3 times a year. One of them will also be leaving in the very near future and I know my Chair will not be too happy spending the money on hers for her to sign up to the update service and leave us very shortly. We have had major money issues this last year but are now back on a even-ish keel.

I understand that some LA's say it's 'good practice' to get them done every 3 years but isn't this just spending money for the sake of it?

Hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

our last chair insisted all staff had a new dbs done (as many of the staff had very old crb) and staff were then registered with update service.

I don't see any reason why you need to do the dbs especially for the member of staff leaving - you are covering yourself by getting staff to complete staff suitability forms.

If you have funds available then you could do the dbs of all staff over time(maybe 1/2 a year), enrolling them to the update service - this way lots of money isn't coming out at the same time.

I would say if there has been no break in service or circumstance and you have annual declarations of ongoing suitability then you don't necessarily need new ones. I think that renewal every 3 years, if they aren't on the update service is good practice - but as you say, not stipulated anywhere.

When I was last inspected (Sept 2015) the inspector looked at my list of DBS certificates and when they were gained and didn't bat an eyelid about some being over 5 years old. As you say it is good practice but there is no requirement to get them re-done. If she is about to leave and there are money worries I would certainly leave it.

I have just had to pay to redo a member of staffs DBS as for some reason they were not on the update service! So despite having a full and relevant DBS and working at the group for 25 years still had to go through both processes again. Then yesterday I got another member of staff to ring the update service as this year’s payment had not been taken only to be told, they couldn’t take the money so you need to get a new DBS and update! I am starting to think that this is some kind of conspiracy for someone to make money! So flaming frustrating as we are really low on funds at the moment and that the actual DBS was full and relevant.

• Like 1