Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Makaton or Widgit?

Hi everyone!

I would like to know if any of you have tried these two communication programs and which one you then considered was better. Pros and cons, please.

I have the impression that Makaton includes signs, so you can still communicate if you don't have the printed sign on hand. I also notice that Makaton is black and white and maybe might 'distract' the children less. I don't know. I am thinking of autistic children who pay more attention to details and might get distracted with the colours. At the same time, I do like the simplicity of Widgit. I had a look at a sample page, but it seems the symbols are quite little and I would waste a lot of paper when printing out.

Your kind and prompt help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :1b

Some of this will always depend on what is already in place.. It needs to be coordinated with other professionals and parents,its no good one person using one and the other something different..

In our case it was always Makaton - the children were often using it at home and it was able to use signs rather than have pictures.. That said some of our children used to use Makaton in conjunction with Pecs.. and we used Pecs for the timetables and often for food and other things while sat with the children, using the sign as well as the picture.

• Like 2

Hi! Thanks to all for your kind reply. At the moment we do not use any of these communication tools as this topic never came up until now. I have been thinking about it all this summer. Staff starts this Monday at school (children next Monday) and I wanted to know your professional feedback in case we decide to implant something in school if any child with communication issues would need this type of support.

I read Makaton can be used with Widgit. https://www.widgit.com/products/

I will also have a look at Boardmaker.

Maybe I don't need any of this this year, but better be prepared just in case.?

• Like 1

It will always depend on the child as well, some respond well to Makaton, others Pictures..

As it is signs along with words we tended to use Makaton everyday with a lot of the things we did even if we had no children needing it.. it was a sort of habit that we got into and kept going for alot of everyday things. We didn't realise how much until we had a visitor ask about it and why we were all using hand gestures..

• Like 1

I tend to do the same as I work with EAL students. I learned sign language when I was studying in the university and later with deaf people during pastoral work. Non-verbal communication is so useful!

I try to use as many different senses as possible, without overloading them. I have even used Google Translate! LOL Last year I had a French boy who came without one single word of English. His progress was amazing, even better tthan others with more months immersed in an all

• Like 2