Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Powder paint

Right I am into cost cutting and one area that might make a difference is swapping from ready mix paints to powder paints.

What do you think? And also I do remember there being a skill to mixing powder paints. What techniques work?

:-O you only use ready mix paint ! My girls would love you....we only use ready mix for certain activities that won't take much paint, mixing like Bisto by making a paste first before adding more water to desired consistency, and we find it does thicken up between making it and children using it.

lovely way to explore with the children (bit of maths, science, ect).

Little sauce pots from mcdonalds or something similar then water in soap dispensers. Then work out the recipe with children for the best mix. (eg one tea spoon to so many pumps of water) You can then added photo recipe cards for the other children to mix there own moving forward, the tiny pots mean they minimal waste :)

lovely way to explore with the children (bit of maths, science, ect).

Little sauce pots from mcdonalds or something similar then water in soap dispensers. Then work out the recipe with children for the best mix. (eg one tea spoon to so many pumps of water) You can then added photo recipe cards for the other children to mix there own moving forward, the tiny pots mean they minimal waste :)

Thank for this. I like the idea of the soap bottle pumps to measure the water.

:-O you only use ready mix paint ! My girls would love you....we only use ready mix for certain activities that won't take much paint, mixing like Bisto by making a paste first before adding more water to desired consistency, and we find it does thicken up between making it and children using it.

Yes mousey! I have always preferred powder to ready mix. I think you get better colours not to mention consistency but my ladies have not been taught how to use them and are not happy. They even tried to sneak their paint order to my administrator in the hope they would get the ready mix stuff but I have sabotaged their plans!

I seem to remember adding wall paper past to it also. Am I wrong?

• Like 1

i have found that a good dollop (about a tablespoonful) of cellulose paste -made up to a jelly like thickness + a squirt of washing up liquid added before the powder helps in mixing. I use the handle of a paintbrush to mix with and add water slowly. I always need an apron on - but I'm very messy! Certainly saves in costs. Watch out for blue paint though. It can get very smelly!

korkycat

• Like 1

Always did as Korkycat does.. never used ready mix paint.. always used cellulose paste, powder paint and washing up liquid..

added bonus is paper will stick to it and other small items..

We also used the cellulose paste when sticking paper items together,was cheaper than PVA

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We have always used powder paints as we can buy the big tubs and it lasts for quite a while lol, however we were recently told that we are not allowed to let the 2yr olds help to mix the powder paint and we have had to restrict the mixing of it to 3+ age children. Which is a real shame as our younger children loved to do it.

We have always used powder paints as we can buy the big tubs and it lasts for quite a while lol, however we were recently told that we are not allowed to let the 2yr olds help to mix the powder paint and we have had to restrict the mixing of it to 3+ age children. Which is a real shame as our younger children loved to do it.

:o Really - who told you that?

I would ask to be pointed to the place in the Stat. Framework that indicates that.........but then I'm quite stroppy at times ::1a

If closely supervised I would happily allow 2 year olds to mix powder paint (that said I don't take 2 year olds!)

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)