Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help and support needed please!

Verona

Hi

I have recently decided for personal reasons to only open the Pre-school from 9am - 1pm (unusual I know as most setting are extending their hours in September), so I am both relieved to have finally made that decision but equally concerned about my parents - numbers etc.

On top of all this I have raging toothache and I mean raging!!!! to say that I am not keen on dentists is an understatement. I hardly slept at all last night due to the pain. I managed to get an emergency appointment this morning and when I was sitting in the waiting room I received a voicemail from Ofsted - they are coming tomorrow morning. I phoned them back and yes the message was right, they will be with me tomorrow.

Obviously I am not feeling too wonderful at the moment what with one thing and another but hey ho things can only get better.

Is there anything in particular I should be mindful of for the inspection tomorrow?

Our last inspection was in June 2015 so only two years in between but I have heard today that they are doing them after two years this time round.

Thanks in anticipation

V

When a new round of inspections start (which it did last Sept) you could have an inspection at the end of the last round and one beginning of this new round - everyone just goes back into the pot!

Hope your toothache gets better

ali

Ooh your poor tooth, I don't like the dentist either so you have my every sympathy.

As Hali says, when there is a new inspection cycle you are 'back in the pot' with everyone else and it is random selection - unless Ofsted have another reason to visit e.g. a safeguarding concern or a follow up to an I or RI inspection which have to be within specific timeframes.

In prep for the inspection I would read through these contributions from inspectors that I put on the forum last year, lots of people have found them very helpful. Also this 'celebrate your inspection' thread is very useful.

Inspection thread 1

Inspection thread 2

Inspection thread 3

Let us know how it all goes ... good luck

Get yourself to Boots, or some such seller of magical potions and get hold of some ORALJEL....................flippin' dental miracle in a box..............worth every penny of the C £3 it costs. THEN as soon as the O folk have departed, get a doctors appointment and ask to be referred to your nearest dental hospital. There you will be given sedation sufficient to get you past your fear and the treatment is free. I know this because there are many things that I will take on head first in life............Dentists are not one of them, BUT my dental hospital was amazing, i had an extraction, two fillings and a crown fitted. All without me screaming my head off ( I would seriously rather give birth!!)........but no, if I was going there again, I would merrily trip my way through their doors. DO IT

• Like 3

Echoing Sunnyday's sentiments!

Also, perhaps consider some hypnotherapy treatment for your fear. It's amazing what they can do. My sister is a clinical hypnotherapist and I know she is a lifesaver to many folk. My siblings and I have good reason to have had dental phobia - our childhood dentist was struck off for malpractice and we have had fillings where none was needed, without anaesthesia, so he could rake in the cash.

There will be a registered clinical hypnotherapist in your area.

Hello Verona

I had an inspection in similar circumstances on 2nd June. I got the phone call at 12 noon and said "No, no you can't come tomorrow, I'm moving house!" To which of course they said yes we are coming (apparently moving house is not on their list of 'exemptions'!) It was only two years since our last inspection too.

I hung up the phone, burst into tears then rallied the troops...

The inspector was very thorough, focusing a lot on safeguarding and in particular suitable person checks on staff. She spoke to children a lot (the first time we had had an inspector who did this) She asked about Prevent, data protection and supervisions and wanted to see evidence of all this.

My sister saved my life, dropping everything and doing the whole house move for me.

I do hope you survive the day intact. Get some strong pain relief, put on a smile and go for it. You'll be fine.

Let us know how it goes.

I was inspected in May 2015 and had the call on Friday for an inspection on Monday - before that we had a 6 and a half year gap between inspections!

Safeguarding

Supervisions

Knowing your children

Think about what you want to do for your joint observation - who will be doing it and what your learning outcomes are

Know who your 2s Too are - if any of them are in your inspector will track one

Know who qualifies for EYPP - if any of them are in you will be expected to demonstrate how you have spent £s and impact etc.

Our inspector also wanted to track one of the children who had been with us for the longest and preferably a child who was being assessed as a bit of a high flyer - she wanted to see how we differentiate for these children

Know your SEN register and be confident talking about other agencies you liaise with

Our inspector looked at policies - make sure you have all the statutory ones especially mobile phone use and online safety - we aren't connected to t'internet at the hall but still have a policy as we have an ipad and smart phone

Maths and literacy are still the hot potatoes - if they are part of your everyday practice make sure that they are on obvious display

Staff folders - you will need to show at least one staff folder with your recruitment processes to demonstrate you do safer recruitment and take up references

When it's all over - large drinkies !!

Good luck

• Like 2

Staff folders - you will need to show at least one staff folder with your recruitment processes to demonstrate you do safer recruitment and take up references

Oh yes, this was big at our inspection too. Recruitment process, DBS and suitability checks, records of supervision and linking this to training. She asked staff what their targets were from supervisions. Also asked every single member of staff separately about disqualification by association and what they would do if their circumstances changed.

:ph34r: Okay........officially worried now.......

Me too :unsure:

Although.. I can now say our setting is officially in trouble and if I don't take it over there is a very high possibility that we could close in a few weeks. Shallow person that I am was thinking 'can I be bothered with another Ofsted so soon if I did take it over :lol: :lol: :lol: (Jan 16 our last)

Now thinking - well if I do, with the change of registration etc, at least I'll know we'll be ok for the next few weeks!!! :rolleyes: ::1a ::1a

Hi

I have recently decided for personal reasons to only open the Pre-school from 9am - 1pm (unusual I know as most setting are extending their hours in September), so I am both relieved to have finally made that decision but equally concerned about my parents - numbers etc.

On top of all this I have raging toothache and I mean raging!!!! to say that I am not keen on dentists is an understatement. I hardly slept at all last night due to the pain. I managed to get an emergency appointment this morning and when I was sitting in the waiting room I received a voicemail from Ofsted - they are coming tomorrow morning. I phoned them back and yes the message was right, they will be with me tomorrow.

Obviously I am not feeling too wonderful at the moment what with one thing and another but hey ho things can only get better.

Is there anything in particular I should be mindful of for the inspection tomorrow?

Our last inspection was in June 2015 so only two years in between but I have heard today that they are doing them after two years this time round.

Thanks in anticipation

V

Hoping it went well, and the toothache is sorted now too.