Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Students with disabilities

Here's one for you!

I usually offer placements to one or two L3 childcare students a year from our local college. This year they have approached me and asked if I would take a student who uses an alert dog for diabetes. Have any of you lovely people had experience of this? It is something I would love to do - what better way to illustrate inclusive practice and help children to understand the wide range of needs and help that people have...

But I just wondered if there was anything extra I will need to put in place (thinking Risk Assessments, parent permission possibly)

Thanks!

I don't have experience of this, but my dog comes to nursery every day. We have a risk assessment which I had checked by a parent who is a vet to make sure I hadn't missed anything. You might need to do a trial to make sure the dog was happy to be around a big group of young children. I told parents before I got Lottie (she has been at nursery since she was 8 weeks and is now 15 months) and we had no negative feedback at all. There were a couple of children who were nervous of her at first, but everyone loves her now. It is a really great experience for children to have her around. As you say, really inclusive too. I'll be really interested to hear if you go ahead!

I have had experience of dogs in the setting. We had parental permission and never had any issues. The children fussed over the dog (dog loved all the attention). However this has always been as a pet for the setting and not any sort of assistance dog.

My concern for you would be that this dog is a 'working dog'. I am not sure how it would be possible for the children to leave the dog alone so as not not to distract it from alerting the owner when necessary. I was just thinking of the assistance dogs i have seen out and about and they often wear coats with a message asking people not to distract them because they are working.

I really hope i am wrong and that you can manage to do it - it sounds a real learning opportunity and as you say great inclusive practice. Good luck and do let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)