Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inclusion funding

Can I ask if you have 1:1 funding do you have to employ someone new to be the 'named' 1:1 ? I have tried where possible to increase existing staff hours in the past, they already know what they're doing, I'm not sure a child becoming dependent on only 1 staff member is ever a good thing and it saves on the added expenses of taking on someone new) but I did employ a 1:1 this time, they lasted a term and a half ( too much like hard work) left giving no notice, by the time I'd run a recruitment process, completed checks etc it didn't seem to make sense to go there again for little more than a term as staff back from mat leave Sept, with no staff able to increase due to a couple already covering the maternity leave I have gone back into ratio for the child's hour hours meaning their is an extra person, our senco has always been the key person so now does a lot more than the 1:1 did, but the parent doesn't seem happy with this arrangement, I've tried to explain that the funding is being used correctly but I don't think she understands because I haven't 'replaced' the last 1:1 in her eyes and am now doubting my own judgement :-(

I am assuming you usually work one over ratio and that now you have deployed one of those staff to do the 1:1 and the other keep the ratio for the other children.

I usually used a member of staff for the 1:1 and increased hours for staff to cover.. that was always fine so long as the ratio was correct.. I also assume you have told parent that the keyworker has taken on the role of !:! while the child is with you- maybe needs explaining in simpler way..She is doing the 1:1, but as an established member of staff is works out better as she knows the child , can work well with them, gives her full support while child is there and any other positive you can think of as to why employing someone new for a few weeks would not be in her child's best interest.

• Like 1

Thanks Inge, Sorry if post a bit confusing, I'm not in ratio normally,, 1:1 left so I now go into ratio on 1:1 days, I did explain to parent that this was going to happen, his key person(who is also senco)does most 1:1 now. We would of had to cover it this way until I could recruit and by the time you've done that, done the check, put on safeguard training and now first aid we'd almost be at summer holiday before they could count and that's providing anyone applied for such a short term post.

• Like 1

That works then, just need to chat to parent to get her to fully understand..it was one of the reasons we supplied 1;1from staff and employed cover if needed.. staff usually took the extra hours though.

• Like 1

Do you need to sit down with the parent and talk her through which staff member will be supporting her child one to one for which sessions so she can see that you not recruiting someone new is not going to prevent her child receiving one to one adult support.

I agree that it isn't ideal for a child to develop this relationship with just one person but I would still try to keep the number of people providing this support to a minimum to maintain stability and support strong relationships.

• Like 1

I would also add that talking to the parent and stating time scales such as 9:00 Joan meets your child, 9:10 Joan sits with your child at register 9:15 Joan supports your child in free play etc. Hope that makes sense.

• Like 1