Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pay structure

Now that was interesting, just re-read that thread! Wonder how many that posted then, a year on almost, feel much has changed after the recent NFF rates have been decided, LA by LA and the first of many NLW increases (30p) have just hit!

I'm no better off - still just hanging on in there......

Right at this moment trying to decide whether I can afford to keep on a wonderful, warm, reliable staff member for next school year?

: (

We are lucky or unlucky to be in an area that has lots of funded 2 year olds.

so money not tight at moment. but who knows.

From reading the other thread it seems like there is a wide difference between us all.

Thanks

the problem with funded two's of course is that although the rate is higher you need twice as many staff to cater for them which means you get less for them than your three year olds!

• Like 4

It's all starting to feel like scrabbling down the back of the sofa to find enough coins to buy a pint of milk. Its not looking good for many of us.

Anyway, back to the original question. Our wage structure is % based (don't have the exact rates but it's the idea)

Unqualified / level 2 / - living or min wage (depending on age)

level 3 - min wage + 10%

Deputy - min wage + 20%

Manager - min wage + 30%

It does mean that there is always a gap between staff but not sure how long it will be viable or when it will need to be amended.

I'm still paying the same for the level two and level threes. The other level two is now over 25 and getting NMW / LW and so will be approaching the others, so soon I'll have to increase the other level two as there'll be no differential, just in time for pensions!

the problem with funded two's of course is that although the rate is higher you need twice as many staff to cater for them which means you get less for them than your three year olds!

Absolutely - that's why I won't play that particular game :ph34r:

• Like 3

How has that worked out? We are the only preschool in the village now, and I was considering not taking them at 2 but the term before they turn three as they clog us up for a year, but feel bad there isn't anywhere for the funded 2's to go if I do that.

How has that worked out? We are the only preschool in the village now, and I was considering not taking them at 2 but the term before they turn three as they clog us up for a year, but feel bad there isn't anywhere for the funded 2's to go if I do that.

I was fairly worried about making the change (although I really, really wanted to), as it happened my hand was forced when this time last year I realised I just had far too many children on my waiting list!

Was not a popular move with parents, as I am sure you can imagine :ph34r: but hey ho ::1a

Has actually worked out just fine (so far), I would have 'gone back to entry at 2.5 this September if needed, but have seen that is not necessary.

It's a super working environment for children and staff with just 3 and 4 year olds.......

I have never, ever taken 'funded twos' - we wouldn't have had any from our village - not up for taking children from outside and then ending up full up and unable to serve my local community.....

We are a very small village pre-school

• Like 2

Have been thinking a bit more about this (whilst gently pottering about in my garden :1b ) - the other reason that I won't take 'funded twos' is that I would like to maintain just a 'little bit' of control with regard to running my own business..........funding at current levels for 'funded twos' is the same as my current charge, but what happens further down the line when it no longer keeps pace? :ph34r:

Anyway - back to my garden! :1b

• Like 1

That reminds me of the time we decided to take 2.5 year olds. Numbers of children on roll in September made us not viable, so we held a meeting and made the decision to do it. We had a good few 2.5 year olds start, and it was all running well. One parent commented, "I know we decided to take the 2.5s but I didn't think they would only be 2 - that's too young to be leaving Mummy" Sigh. To this day I wonder how old she thinks 2.5 year olds are :)

• Like 4