Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

No SATS for 7 year olds, BUT

narnia

:(:(:(:(:( Id'd really rather not have to! Given that it can take a long time for some children to regain the ground they had when they left us in the summer.

Too true Panders. And why does it seem that this is all too often not recognised!! Our reception teacher always comments about how 'awful' the new intake is (yes really) and how all they've been doing is 'playing' (ha ha)! When in reality we know they have grown into wonderful independent learners, full of confidence, free spirits that have been used to being outside.......

........... They need time to adjust......before they can bloom again!!!

Edited by Rafa

Too true Panders. And why does it seem that this is all too often not recognised!! Our reception teacher always comments about how 'awful' the new intake is (yes really) and how all they've been doing is 'playing' (ha ha)! When in reality we know they have grown into wonderful independent learners, full of confidence, free spirits that have been used to being outside.......

........... They need time to adjust......before they can bloom again!!!

I don't want to detract from the point but can I just say that this happens at the start of every year group with slight variations on what have (or haven't!) been doing in earlier years. I used to get really bothered by it but in reality people forget how far the children come in a year and the comparison they are making is with the 'nearly Y1 (or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7)' that have just left them not the ones who joined them at the start of the previous year. It will also be down to an underlying worry about just how they are going to get the children to 'expected' at the end of the year. There is a long way between writing your name and writing in sentences or between the sentences and successfully identifying verbs and their plural and past tense suffixes in the sentences or between that and accurately and appropriately writing sentences with subordinated, embedded clauses.

Whether we like it or not that kind of thing is what we currently have set as our targets for attainment and people feel pressured to get there.

I will also say though that every single teacher (in all the year groups) who I have heard being critical of the cohort they get at the start of the year are also the same teachers who I have heard celebrating the achievements, social, emotional and academic of 'their' children. They are the ones who are fighting for those small steps to be recognised and who will do their best to nurture and support the children to make even more of them at a pace which is right for them.

Apologies if that sounds too 'ranty'.

PS PLEASE respond to the consultation!

• Like 1