Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Opinions please

sunnyday

We open at 9.15, snack starts around 10.15 and depending on the cohort, can finish at 11 or as late as 11.30. We send them home at 12.15. We found through experience that we were offering too much snack. We now have one carb option and two fruit/veg options and something dairy like yoghurt or cheese. There is as much milk/water as they want.

I often think that children are too used to grazing throughout the day. It always seems to be the "bigger" children who apparently can't go without food for more than an hour. Don't get me started on trying to get them to sit to eat!

We open at 9.15, snack starts around 10.15 and depending on the cohort, can finish at 11 or as late as 11.30. We send them home at 12.15. We found through experience that we were offering too much snack. We now have one carb option and two fruit/veg options and something dairy like yoghurt or cheese. There is as much milk/water as they want.

I often think that children are too used to grazing throughout the day. It always seems to be the "bigger" children who apparently can't go without food for more than an hour. Don't get me started on trying to get them to sit to eat!

Wow larnielass that sounds like LUNCH to me!!

I think I'm a mean and lean snack provider........literally milk or water and a handful? of dry Shreddies! I used to offer sliced Apple but got fed up with. a) them turning their nose up if it went 'brown' and.......

b) having a staff member lingering around to slice said apples!!

Now it's an open, serve yourself and free's up staff to do something more productive!

Agree Ofsted are always the 'problem' re snack v no snack.

In SF think it says just WATER MUST be available? But some inspectors will still suggest we should be feeding I fear!

Sorry Sunnyday..........your question has been kind of hijacked! : /

Btw. The children all LOVE the dry Shreddies......of course they could be starving!!

Edited by Rafa
  • Like 3

This article was written some time ago but having read it through still relevant I think.

For those of you trying to get parents to do 'healthier' lunch boxes (good luck with that :unsure: ) there is some good info you could use.

And for what it is worth I think finishing at 12.45pm and going home for lunch seems perfectly reasonable.

• Like 1