Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Opinions please

sunnyday

From September our opening hours will be 9 - 12:45

I hadn't anticipated that children would need lunch within that time, however one parent has said that her little girl needs to eat at 12 noon

Sorry should have said that, of course, snack will be provided as usual

I'm happy to go along with children bringing a packed lunch but would dearly like to know thoughts from other practitioners please

always an awkward time once you get to midday - maybe need to think about

whether the last 30/45 minutes are taken as lunch time -if so how will you provide for this

whether all parents will want their child to lunch then - i would think so-if some don't what / how do you deal with this?

not sure how many children you have but could you put out a questionnaire about this - what they would expect for this time - lunch etc., -need to provide healthy lunch etc.,

What are your current hours are they being extended by much ?

I'd be temped to maybe either make more of the morning snack options, or open till 1pm if poss and all have packed lunches. Does the child need food at 12 for medical reasons? Or possibly she goes onto other activities after ?

I've just been reading on another forum about the modern trend for children to constantly 'snack' throughout the day was an interesting debate.

I have to admit I am old.. and I certainly didn't have half of the treats most of our children have nowadays. We didn't get food on our way home from school or even when we got in, only an apple until dinner time at 6ish. Food didn't seem to enter our heads- we just wanted to get out and play in the street!

As I got older (senior school) it was the option of either getting the bus home, or walking almost two miles and spending the bus fair on sweets!

• Like 1

Do you mean you will finish at 12.45 and then the children will go home for lunch? I think this sounds very reasonable - she'll never be more than a couple of hours away from food ... I don't understand the problem

Yes that's it exactly :1b

always an awkward time once you get to midday - maybe need to think about

whether the last 30/45 minutes are taken as lunch time -if so how will you provide for this

whether all parents will want their child to lunch then - i would think so-if some don't what / how do you deal with this?

not sure how many children you have but could you put out a questionnaire about this - what they would expect for this time - lunch etc., -need to provide healthy lunch etc.,

Thank you - yes I will have to canvas opinion definitely - I certainly won't be providing lunches - parents would need to bring packed lunches to be eaten at 12 - which kind of defeats the object of extra pre-school time :blink: it would have to be 'all bring lunch' situation......

I am a little 'taken aback' with the idea that a child needs feeding at 12 after a snack at 11 :blink:

What are your current hours are they being extended by much ?

I'd be temped to maybe either make more of the morning snack options, or open till 1pm if poss and all have packed lunches. Does the child need food at 12 for medical reasons? Or possibly she goes onto other activities after ?

I've just been reading on another forum about the modern trend for children to constantly 'snack' throughout the day was an interesting debate.

I have to admit I am old.. and I certainly didn't have half of the treats most of our children have nowadays. We didn't get food on our way home from school or even when we got in, only an apple until dinner time at 6ish. Food didn't seem to enter our heads- we just wanted to get out and play in the street!

As I got older (senior school) it was the option of either getting the bus home, or walking almost two miles and spending the bus fair on sweets!

So current hours extended by 45 minutes

No medical reasons whatsoever

Oops meant to say - I will not be extending to 1pm - that is not even a consideration :ph34r: :lol:

Edited by sunnyday

Hi Sunnyday, I have, this term, extended 3 sessions by an hour and we do call this time "Lunch Club"!

It's very popular, the children really enjoy this social time and it's increased the cash flow, not by a lot but enough to make it viable.

I would add though that the "Healthy Lunches" are not so healthy - despite our polite requests. I am about to send out another letter pre summer term Lunch Clubs, again requesting that parents limit the amount of treats that are appearing!

So be tough - if promoting a healthy balanced diet is what you envisage!

Personally I would think leaving at 12.45 for lunch at home is a good option!

Personally I would think leaving at 12.45 for lunch at home is a good option!

Thank you Rafa - me too - but quite open to a discussion.........

Think I need to go back to this mum and explain our snack to her - shouldn't need to she has had details - but hey ho ;)

Will talk it through with some other mums too and if needs be I can always do a questionnaire/survey thingy - honestly my 'lot' are so resistant to change :ph34r: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree that 'lunch club' could/would be a super social time and can see all the benefits - just not sure I think this is necessary though and surely mums would find it more 'hassle' to provide a packed lunch when they could just go home and eat as usual

Walks away muttering "no one will fade away if they don't eat for an hour or so" :ph34r:

• Like 5

So you currently finish at 12 - does this child have lunch in the car on way home? Cannot see how lunch at 12 would be normal otherwise..

Having had a similar issue once, we offered parent chance to collect her child at normal time, while others stayed.. she changed her mind and never did collect early..

• Like 3

So you currently finish at 12 - does this child have lunch in the car on way home? Cannot see how lunch at 12 would be normal otherwise..

Having had a similar issue once, we offered parent chance to collect her child at normal time, while others stayed.. she changed her mind and never did collect early..

Inge that had occurred to me too - think I will explain snack (again) to this mum and talk to another couple of mums and will indeed offer a 'collect at 12 if waiting for lunch will be a problem' option

I should, perhaps, have explained at the top of thread - this change in times is because I will be offering 15 hours over 4 days as opposed to 5........

We will be open 9 - 12:45 on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays - I would have made this change last September but just had far too many children - but I am determined that this will happen this year :1b

• Like 3

When we opened our optional lunch club a couple of years ago we realised having snack at 11am was too late and had to do it around 10:30am as 1/2 the children weren't hungry by 12:30 and left lots of their lunch!

If there is only 1 parent who has a problem with it, I would stick to your guns and just offer her to collect at 12 noon; but then does that mean she will want some of her fees back? which might make others think I'll do that!!

• Like 1

When we opened our optional lunch club a couple of years ago we realised having snack at 11am was too late and had to do it around 10:30am as 1/2 the children weren't hungry by 12:30 and left lots of their lunch!

If there is only 1 parent who has a problem with it, I would stick to your guns and just offer her to collect at 12 noon; but then does that mean she will want some of her fees back? which might make others think I'll do that!!

Child will be in receipt of Gov funding - you know that vast amount of money that is awarded to us :ph34r:

• Like 2

I have being toying with the idea of doing away with snack time and asking all children to bring a packed lunch and eating it at about 11.45 - thus I save on snacks, children may very well eat better because of it, as with snack and lunch it is often too much for them and as we finish at 1.15 there should be plenty of time to carry on playing afterwards.

Edited by Panders
  • Like 2

Sunnyday is this going to be 5 mornings - are you increasing your hours?? (Just being nosey!!)

I have being toying with the idea of doing away with snack time and asking all children to bring a packed lunch and eating it at about 11.45 - thus I save on snacks, children may very well eat better because of it, as with snack and lunch it is often too much for them and as we finish at 1.15 there should be plenty of time to carry on playing afterwards.

No, lovely birthday girl see previous post 13

Hmmm like this idea Panders! (Happy Birthday by the way) I find 'snack time' is becoming a bit if a 'waste of time ' so this may work well for us.

• Like 1

so in theory children of this age would need a snack after around 2 hours (remembering that some may not have had breakfast either) or you may start to have issues with blood sugars dipping and behaviour issues increasing! so a snack at 11 and go home to eat lunch at 1 would be about right! guess the question WHY does this parent want this is still the problem. my lot eat lunch at 11.30! (due to start times ...we occasionally have parents question this but once the children have run around/thought/used their brain they're all hungry! (bar one who has breakfast at 11!!!)

• Like 1

so in theory children of this age would need a snack after around 2 hours (remembering that some may not have had breakfast either) or you may start to have issues with blood sugars dipping and behaviour issues increasing! so a snack at 11 and go home to eat lunch at 1 would be about right! guess the question WHY does this parent want this is still the problem. my lot eat lunch at 11.30! (due to start times ...we occasionally have parents question this but once the children have run around/thought/used their brain they're all hungry! (bar one who has breakfast at 11!!!)

Yes, my thinking too fm - I can't really imagine not offering snack......

But I do think open at 9, snack at 11 and home for lunch at 12:45 should be manageable

Similar here.

We open at 8:55 and offer a full day option with the lunch process starting at 11:30 ish.

We try to start snack at 10 ish. But even I have wondered about the amount of feeding.

There was a discussion a little while ago about constant feeding I think.

• Like 1

You can guarantee if you don't do snack time you will get the inspector who wants to see it!

Quite a few years ago we only offered fruit but got 'pulled up' on that as the inspector said it wasn't fair on those who didn't eat fruit and could therefore be hungry, and we wouldn't know if a child had been given breakfast, therefore toast/crackers etc had to be introduced

You can guarantee if you don't do snack time you will get the inspector who wants to see it!

Quite a few years ago we only offered fruit but got 'pulled up' on that as the inspector said it wasn't fair on those who didn't eat fruit and could therefore be hungry, and we wouldn't know if a child had been given breakfast, therefore toast/crackers etc had to be introduced

Our 'carb' is breadsticks - I've yet to find a cild who doesn't like them - sure there will be one along any minute now I've said that :lol:

child even - must be that glass I have been raising to Panders

Edited by sunnyday
  • Like 1

Our 'carb' is breadsticks - I've yet to find a cild who doesn't like them - sure there will be one along any minute now I've said that :lol:

child even - must be that glass I have been raising to Panders

would be great but I have one whos not allowed wheat/oats/eggs/dairy oh and of course nuts! (try feeding him!!)