Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Level 1 in food hygiene

Hi,

It is sufficient for staff to hold a level 1 in food hygiene ?

As the most they will be doing is preparing snacks and do some cooking with the children from time to time (i.e. biscuit making)

As someone informed me that staff need to do level 2 in Food Hygiene.

Thanks

When we had our environment health check at work (April 2016 so due again...) he informed us only the main cook needed to have food hygiene, and it was enough for all other staff to read though the safer food, better business manual once a year and sign that! My list of things to do is phone and confirm this (recently appointed manager!!)

and since were myth busting...WHO says level 2?????

Our EO told us in no uncertain term SHE was the person we listen to- and she was ok with everyone doing the 'safer food, better business' stuff.

We only do basic snacks, packed lunches and the occasional cooking. She said ideally we should have one person with the basic food hygiene and that it did not have to be renewed, as she would send any updates required as and when needed.

Our EO told us in no uncertain term SHE was the person we listen to- and she was ok with everyone doing the 'safer food, better business' stuff.

We only do basic snacks, packed lunches and the occasional cooking. She said ideally we should have one person with the basic food hygiene and that it did not have to be renewed, as she would send any updates required as and when needed.

I would agree with the fact that the EHO is in charge of this hence the question about WHO says it has to be level 2.....if its the LEA I'm not sure they could enforce this UNLESS it is in your funding agreement.

• Like 1

Actually not that I can remember (no longer working) but I queried it many times and always got the same response

Definitely a Rebecca myth buster as it would save £'s if it isn't true

this is one of those type of things I will be looking at too to ensure we are not just going with it because 'someone' has said! really cant afford to pay for useless training when I could pay for something I need! (I have a high level food hygiene course ...done many years ago which still covers me! lea told me I needed to replace EHO said it was fine!! supposed to cover me for life!!!)

• Like 2